Thread: Teleport System

Player
    Character
    Sky Box
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 55
    When they add in new areas, new expansions and you're trying to get all over the place, you'll be thankful it is how it is. I run low right now and I'm only teleporting around Uldah regions, maybe sometimes to limsa/coerthas. When there are like 10-15 places I want to go to often I will be so low I'll be wishing they had airships/chocobos.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Renta Hamster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    If you can only play for an hour, whats wrong with an 8 minute airship ride?
    8 minutes out of an hour is over 10% of your playtime. You can do an entire leve in 8 minutes.

8 minutes is longer than 0 minutes.

Airships probably won't go directly from crystal to crystal.

There's no good reason NOT to give the casual player the option to teleport. It doesn't negatively harm anyone else.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dashe Voln
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    One way they could change it once other modes of transportation become available is limiting the range of teleportation.
    So for example: You are in Ul'dah (or its surrounding region) and need to get to a nearby camp. Just teleport as you usually do and that's that.
    However, say you are in Gridania and need to get to a camp in Ul'dah. You can either teleport to either the closest camp to the zone line (in Gridania -> Ul'dah's case, Camp Drybone?), or directly into the city itself. Then you can teleport to your destination camp.
    This way, the more casual players can still have their teleportation for short playing times. Of course, those who play more often could kill off their anima supply rather quickly, so the use of the new transportation methods as well as exploration would be promoted.
    Return would function normally.
    (0)

XI: Shadowtaru (Alexander) Manifest (Shiva) Volnaru (Asura)
    1.0: Delirium Impulse (Mysidia Gungnir)
    ARR: Dashe Herate (Sargatanas) Dashe Voln (Excalibur)

Player
    Character
    Darkstar Poet
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    One way they could change it once other modes of transportation become available is limiting the range of teleportation.
    So for example: You are in Ul'dah (or its surrounding region) and need to get to a nearby camp. Just teleport as you usually do and that's that.
    However, say you are in Gridania and need to get to a camp in Ul'dah. You can either teleport to either the closest camp to the zone line (in Gridania -> Ul'dah's case, Camp Drybone?), or directly into the city itself. Then you can teleport to your destination camp.
    This way, the more casual players can still have their teleportation for short playing times. Of course, those who play more often could kill off their anima supply rather quickly, so the use of the new transportation methods as well as exploration would be promoted.
    Return would function normally.
    only people that do not know how to limit anima usage will run out quickly. i have been playing everyday and still had over 90 as of the shutdown. btw, your method would not work for the casual player only on for an hr or so a day. it would take multiple teleports to get them from point a to point b or spend their whole game time running to a point.
    (0)

http://crystalknights.guildwork.com/

Player
    Character
    Mocha Momocha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    8 minutes out of an hour is over 10% of your playtime. You can do an entire leve in 8 minutes.

8 minutes is longer than 0 minutes.

Airships probably won't go directly from crystal to crystal.

There's no good reason NOT to give the casual player the option to teleport. It doesn't negatively harm anyone else.
    Straw man arguments do nothing to help your position. If you apply this same line of thinking to everything in the game, in the end you'll have a nice approximation of WoW.

If your playtime is THAT limited, MMORPGs probably aren't the genre for you. And I say this as a college student working two jobs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xatsh Vei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I see no reason to change anima, I usually hover between 6-12 anima anyways. If you play the game alot you will find that the 100 anima you start with is no where near enough, especially if you are a crafter.

So I have a feeling chocos and airships will be used highly even with the current system. In 1 leve day I can blow around 6-10 anima depending on where my and my group goes. And that does not even include crafting and gathering stuff which are done in different zones. 12-15 anima a day for a full time player is what is about average, that is not enough to use reliably past 2 weeks of game time.

Anima is for the casual ppl playing 8-10hrs a week, a gamer would need almost double the anima before airships and chocos become worthless.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seif Dincht
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Straw man arguments do nothing to help your position. If you apply this same line of thinking to everything in the game, in the end you'll have a nice approximation of WoW.

If your playtime is THAT limited, MMORPGs probably aren't the genre for you. And I say this as a college student working two jobs.
    So true. If this argument was used for everything XIV would be Farmville in few weeks. It almost is already.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Darkstar Poet
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 60

if they are willing to play and are limited during the week, but want to get on and get something done i don't see where it harms anyone. it comes down to certain people don't like the fact that other people can do it and they don't want them to. it's nearsighted and elitest thinking. if these people want to pay their money and play the game limited basis is is not my job to tell them they cannot play since it does not affect my game in any way. granted these people will never hit cap nor ever see end game more than likely, but i do not like the idea of telling a portion of the potential player base they are not welcome.

i have been playing many many hours a day and never have an issue with anima because i choose to take the time to run in between points so it would not affect me in any way if it were taken away. i just know quite a few people that would not have purchased the game if it were for hardcore games only and the game was promoted as being casual player friendly.
    (0)

http://crystalknights.guildwork.com/

Player
    Character
    Renta Hamster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    The same goal would be achieved by just making long distance teleports cost more anima.

"Straw man" arguments? I think you are confused on what the definition of a "straw man" is. I am not misrepresenting Mega's arguments. All I am doing is listing reasons as to why removing teleportation doesn't add anything worthwhile to the gameplay. The more choices a player has regarding transportation, the better.

Why shouldn't MMORPGs be able to cater to casual players with limited gametime? If a gameplay mechanic can be implemented that helps out casuals, yet does nothing to impede the progress or enjoyment of the more hardcore players, there is no reason why it should not be implemented.

There is always going to be a solution that helps out both types of players, or at least a compromise that has more positives than negatives.
    (0)

Player

I want to see anima replaced, not just removed. If there is nothing to take its place then it should be left alone. Traveling is a means to an end and is no real hindrance toward end game progression. What I don't like is this game acting like it has a game genie attatched to it starting at character creation.

Lets look at the original Zelda (RPG) for Nintendo made 25 years before this game. You start out with nothing. However, by end game you have reached many dungeons and collected lots of useful tools which open the game to the player. You receive a raft that lets you cross rivers to reach new areas. You get a whistle that teleports you around the world. Not just anywhere. It teleports you to dungeons you've successfully completed.

Games are a time investment. MMORPGs are supposed to be the biggest, longest and require the most endurance and patience. FFXIV has failed in this respect and a game made 25 years ago gets it better than you and SE.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast