Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Ooooh, I know I shouldnt be doing this because its nothing more than a troll, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JunkhogMakison View Post
    And just like with Femroes
    Merlwyb, Moenbryda, several ones involved in guilds: Thubyrgeim (arcanist), Rhotgeim (maradeur), Yellow Moon (several sidequests in Ul'dah) and Jeweled Peak (goldsmith), to just name a few.

Lady Elves
    ...are you aware of Ysayle and Alisae? Two elezen ladies that are prominent in the MSQ of HW and SB, who are more or less constant companies throughout the story. You've been playing about half of the whole games story with an elezen lady at your side.

Male Miq
    Granted, given their lore they're rarely featured in quests.

Fem Au Ras
    Yugiri, Sadu, Cirina, Kurenai. The HW-ninja quests has a female Au Ra as its mainfocus.
    Given that they only live in the east its no surprise we dont see them in any quests in Eorzea. We see a fair number of them throughout SB though, I'd reckon. Infact we have more prominently feature female Au Ra than male ones.

Male Roes
    ...I believe this has already been covered...

At the end of the day the "racial inbalance" is because of the lore-state racial inbalance of the places we visit - we havent visited the mountain villages of the Hellsguard and til SB we didnt venture to the east to meet Au Ra and have the opportunity to include them in the story. And thats a good thing, because it allows for unique lore, customs and history for each race. Just like irl it shapes the race if they are only living in a specific place. If that wasnt the case we'd end up with races being nothing more than cosmetics. With everyone basically being human - some very tall, some very tiny and some with scales, but all just humans without a unique story behind them. In my eyes thats not something we should wish for. Each race is represented in the mainstory or in other prominent places in "harmony" with the lore of those races. The lore that gives them character and makes them intresting and unique.

Edit: I also dont see such a huge over-representation of other races... actually, when I think back to one of the latest scenes of SB - the one where everyone is gathered around the table during the meeting with Varis you actually have three Hyur, two elezen, one lalafell, one Roegadyn and one padjal present - plus whatever race your character is. Au Ra and Mi'qote are missing. And yes, thats more Hyur than any of the other races, but Au Ra and Mi'qote missing makes sense within the lore of those races, with both of them being more nomads than actual leaders and founders of nations. For the other races... seems pretty evenly split to me?
    (10)
    Last edited by Vidu; 06-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Shuma Gorath
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 75
    Quote Originally Posted by Halivel View Post
    Well, let's see. I can't say for all but will light up what I do know.

Male Miqo'te - they have less population than females in general. Much less. Tip from Lodestone and Encyclopedia: Territoriality causes many of them to lead solitary lives, and males in particular shy from contact with others. For reasons yet unclear, female Miqo'te vastly outnumber males, a unique trait among Eorzea's races.
    If we speak about Moon tribe, males there are even more rare than males in Sun clan.

Elves: Duskwight tribe is hardly represented at all. I can recall only one NPC from Lancer 1-30 level story. Why? Because they prefer to live in forest caves and caverns, avoiding cities. As for Wildwood tribe, they were pretty good represented in Ishgard. In Machinist 50-60 Story line there was a mention that in Ishgard they have a tradition, where women leave all their duties after marriage, so I assume that's the main reason why we do not see Elezen women in quests a lot.

Auri, I would say, were represented kind of equally, though not all NPC were in MSQ. But if we will recall exactly important NPC, we will have two females and two males in Azim Steppe and one (kind of two) females and one male in underwater village. Also Yugiri and some NPC in side quests, plus Auri from job quests, including DRK, WAR, NIN, WHM story lines, plus Alexander story line, etc. They are represented in their homelands as well because they are rarety outside of this and also not threatened well everywhere.

For Roes I have hard time to say, why we don't see a lot of them in MSQ. I don't see any reason for them to be really rare. Still, we did have some decent amount of them in Limsa quests, where at least Sea Wolves mainly live (Wiki mentions 17 notable Sea Wolves. Not that bad, actually. They are seem to be mostly males, though, and this is a puzzle for me).
    Probably because most of them male Roe specifically still have attachments to pirating. They are probably out plundering, lootin, and shootin garlean ships since they arent allowed to plunder or attack eorzean ships. Similar to how male miqote are rare in lore male ro are probably mostly out doin the pirate thing and a few not.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    A'ver Snow
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    There are 3 male Miqo'te in the ARR MSQ around the Titan storyline in a desert settlement (2 young and 1 old guy)
    I meant like as a recurring character. That guy that sits in the rising stones who appears in the background sometimes whenever the scion B team is on screen..
    (0)
    Last edited by Averax; 06-14-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Halivel View Post
    As for Wildwood tribe, they were pretty good represented in Ishgard. In Machinist 50-60 Story line there was a mention that in Ishgard they have a tradition, where women leave all their duties after marriage, so I assume that's the main reason why we do not see Elezen women in quests a lot.
    Ishgardian Elezen use Wildwood character models (with a few Duskwights mixed in) but they are culturally separate clans. Actual Wildwoods are from Gridania.

Also the "leaving work after marriage" is an Ishgardian thing, not Elezen. The character in question is Hyuran.

Alisaie and Ysayle have already been mentioned, but there's also minor scion Alianne, and Laniaitte at Camp Cloudtop.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Anni Suri
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 80
    Specifically when it comes to the story.

seriously we need more Male Roes in everything, I actually took a hard look and honestly, other races arent really paid that much attention to.

Usually its humans, lalas, miqs, and maybe an elf dude but thats about it. Rarely do we see any elf ladies or Au Ra or heck we dont even see Fem Roes all that much.
    On this we agree there should be more male Roes and now with Hrothgar male Roes will face extinction they are the most endangered specie in game.

There should be a collective plan to save the few males alive from Roe specie.
    (1)
    Last edited by AnnaRosa; 06-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Character
    Loud Jungle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    I see a lot of people agreeing that male roes will disappear with Hrothgar coming around.
    So what was the purpose of adding Hrothgar again? People seem to be defending adding Hrothgar then on another thread acknowledge how they weren't needed as they're basically Roegadyn 2.0

Make up your minds FFXIV community.
    Where did the "Hrothgar as so different, they were needed" go now? What unique niche that Roegadyn didn't already fulfill go?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnmaat View Post
    I see a lot of people agreeing that male roes will disappear with Hrothgar coming around.
    So what was the purpose of adding Hrothgar again? People seem to be defending adding Hrothgar then on another thread acknowledge how they weren't needed as they're basically Roegadyn 2.0

Make up your minds FFXIV community.
    Where did the "Hrothgar as so different, they were needed" go now? What unique niche that Roegadyn didn't already fulfill go?
    Personally I'd expect Roes to be "replaced" by Hrothgar as much as Au Ra replaced Mi'qote in the Othard-parts of the Stormblood-storyline - at least female Au Ra are fairly similar to female Mi'qote (rather short and more "cute" females). I'd suggest an "evolutionary metaphor": Hrothgar and Roe will share a niche and in certain places there will be Roe and in other Hrothgar, depending on whats the better fit for the story and the lore.

The argument "we didnt need Hrothgar if Roes could basically achieve the same" is pretty mute - using that logic we could say that we didnt need Roe in the first place because if you wanted to play a buff male character you could have rolled a Highlander and, while we're at it, Highlander are so close to Midlanders you could have just gone for one of those, so basically offering only Midlanders in character-creation would have been fine...
    My point is: Hrothgar are different enough, design-wise, lore-wise, culture-wise (judging from what we know so far) that its worth having them to add to the diversity of the game.

On a more personal note I also dont understand why people are worried about potentially seeing less (male) Roes as PCs now... I'm extremly happy that there are only so few FemRoes, because it means that I wont run into my twin every dungeon I'm in (something I imagine must happen to Mi'qote all the time...)
    (2)

Character
    Loud Jungle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    Ok, I better not hear the argument that Viera are too similar to this or that then. Thank you.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cenric Asher
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Junkhog, I don’t think this approach is fair. Sounds like your focus is on quantity rather than quality or range.

I honestly loved Gosetsu. Imo he is a complex, tragic, warm, and thoughtful character. And I seriously did not expect him to be with how he entered. I would be thrilled to see him again. I might not think he’s a hottie but I also don’t think that should define a character’s worth. Estinien had a major arc and peace’s out after Heavensward. People didn’t react going "get out of here no one wants you". And he showed up again in Stormblood, because he’s a good character. I see no reason to expect less with Gosetsu. I see no reason not to expect more examination for Roegadyns.

We’ve seen them as villains and heroes both. We’ve seen them with tremendous range in personality. Moenbryda is not Merlwyb is not Grynewaht is not Biggs is not Gosetsu is not Rasho. I can say with absolute confidence that if I was challenged to write a scene with any one of them I would be able to comfortably, because from motive to dialogue to background we have enough info to call each of them a distinct and complex character in their own right.

If anything, and I don’t mean this with hostility but as my subjective impression, it seems like you don’t actually have much interest and investment in them. Maybe they just don’t have personalities you gel with, but that isn’t the fault of the characters. That's personal taste.

It isn’t reasonable to diminish the well-done and prominent characters who already exist because you’d like to see more. It also isn’t necessary to throw shade at other character races frankly. That negativity is toxic, not in an “I’m so offended” way or a “REEEEEEEE NO OPINIONS I DISAGREE WITH ALLOWED” way, but because it diminishes something cool and exciting (a bunch of Roes!) and just throws cold water on everyone.

It isn’t like you gave technical critique on these characters where something is lacking in form or development. You just kind of bashed because you want to say they don’t count in order to get more. That’s a dishonest and diminishing tactic.

And again, don't mean any of this to be mean or angry! If this doesn't match what you meant (or if it does) I'm good to chat. Part of why I went with a more detailed reply is that my impression is you're being sincere with your threads. People might disagree or challenge your stances but I appreciate that you were pretty chill in the Lakshmi thread. Figure bouncing different ideas around is a pretty cool opportunity in the forums.
    (5)
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 06-14-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Autocorrect borked my post

Player
    Character
    Toki Tsuchimi
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    There are 3 male Miqo'te in the ARR MSQ around the Titan storyline in a desert settlement (2 young and 1 old guy)
    While there may have been some male miqo'te sprinkled about, none have really had any importance to us aside from "hey here is some info, use it as you will". ShB looks like it'll be the first storyline to have a main character be a male miqo'te. And while it's not "confirmed" it looks to be G'raha Tia, who is a fan favorite. So this will be a happy reunion.
    (3)
    I like helping people with their Job ideas, it's fun to help them visuallize and create the job they'd like to play most. Plus I make my own too, I'll post them eventually.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast