Player
    Character
    Kaeko Leta
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRiser View Post
    All you people talking about the chest pops, and my linkshell is super excited that we beat the Cyclops for the first time last night.

Trying to beat the Morbol. We got him to half health, it's the adds that are a pain. Can you kill the adds before he moves?
    I think the key to handling the Morbol fight adds is just to increase your kill speed to the point where you get as few adds as possible. This is how the add pop conditions work:

Giltraps
    These spawn at specific locations around pools roughly 70-80 seconds after first touching Miser. This pop location indicates where Miser will run to for the regen phase. She makes a break for this location roughly 45-50 seconds after the traps spawn. You are allowed to prolong her run there with Gravity / Bind. Once in the regen phase, I'm not 100% certain what condition causes the Miser to go back to the tank. I do know killing the traps before she runs does not prevent her running. Since we spam BLM Fire AoEs the fastest way we've found to get rid of the Regen phase is to simply damage her quickly til she gets out of the pond. After this first pop, they will keep popping roughly 70-80 seconds after leaving the last poison pond (regen phase).

Tender Victuals
    These always spawn in groups of 3 every time the Miser has reached her pond destination. So it will be traps pop, wait 45 seconds, Miser moves to pond, Miser reaches pond, 3 tenders spawn. They are easily slept. We usually sleepga them, focus on hurting Miser to get her out of the pond, then kill the tenders when she's out. They are pretty swishy in general but do have AoE silence.

Hearty Victuals
    These will always spawn in groups of 3 as the giltraps spawn if Miser's HP is below 40%ish. They are a bit more resistant to sleep but are still readily slept with a good MACC set. They hit much harder (I would say about 3x harder) and have AoE amnesia. When we developed our strategy for killing Miser, we focused on finding a way to avoid having to kill these because they are fairly resistant to magic damage (or damage in general?). Either way, a total pain and they hit like a truck.

We use a less common strategy (at least based on forum reading) that involves a WAR tank, 2 WHM, 2 BRD, and 3 BLM. Essentially we avoid any front-line DD and it's incredibly safe. The kill times from first attack on Morbol to death will range from about 4:10 to 5:00 depending on where vines pop, resists, etc. You can see an example of this strategy in the video below starting at around 20:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_nCo5Msrz4

This particular one takes about 4:28 from first attack. Here is a pretty quick overview of how the fight should go...

Phase 1
    * Cutscene ends, everyone runs to position (see video); it's always this position
    * First BRD immediately uses Battle Voice + Ballad of the Magi on the back line. Other BRD uses normal Minuet.
    * Straight DD spam. BLMs focus on Fire > Fira > Firaga combo. The first set of vines will pop around 75 sec in. Ignore them unless they pop on you. Then AoE fire will kill them quickly incidentally and/or sleep the ones out of range of fire on Mistress.
    * Another ~45 seconds of straight DD. The "Poison Lung" field poison effect will go away at 75% HP sometime in this 45 seconds probably. This makes it now safe to BLM Convert and get MP standing still if needed. Right before we know she's about to move, we land a Dark Seal Blizzard for Gravity.

Phase 2
    * 2 minutes in, the Mistress moves to her pond. Hopefully has Gravity but unnecessary.
    * First off, make sure the back line is not near the pond when the Mistress gets there. It always bad breathes first once reaching its destination pond and you don't want to get hit by this. Tenders x3 will spawn when she reaches pool.
    * The BRDs simply go straight for Mistress and ignore the tenders. The BLMs sleepga the tenders x3 and then go straight to Fire combo nuking the Mistress (which will quickly kill any traps at the pond as well). The focused DD on Miser will hopefully get her out of the pond within 15 seconds to minimize her Regen. During this DD phase, the tank does NOT follow Mistress. We have the tank park himself in the best position possible so that when she gets out of the pond, we have her in our ideal position. Basically we dictate her position. We do not let her dictate our position.
    * After Miser gets out of the pond. The 3 BLMs proceed to kill the tenders. The BRDs just continue DD on Miser. Tank was already positioned to get Miser where we wanted her after pond phase so positioning should be great.

Phase 3
    * BLMs kill the 3 tenders. Fire combo is the best followed by Thunder on any stragglers. Be careful though because they Silence AoE. If you feel you're too slow in killing these, BRDs can use Rain of Death combo to help you with damage and for Silence WS stun.
    * Around this time, the first Battle Voice Ballad wears off (3min timer). Now the 2 BRDs switch song roles. Bard #2 uses Battle Voice Ballad, the other BRD now uses Minuet.
    * After the tenders are dead, go back to straight DD.
    * If you are quick and/or lucky, the Miser will die before you see the next set of Giltraps even spawn. If not, go to next phase...

Phase 4
    * If the next set of giltraps spawn, it will spawn with Hearty Victuals (because Miser is under 40% HP). If the pop in range to aggro us, we sleep immediately (all BLMs focus on sleep until they are all down), then go back to DD. We have no intention of killing these so it's a race between killing Miser and when building sleep resist eventually makes these unsleepable.
    * From the time of first sleep on Hearty Victuals, you have about 90 good seconds to kill it. We really never get this far nowadays but if it does happen, you may see Miser run to a 2nd pond (which causes more regen, 3 more tenders to spawn, etc.). The chances of being overwhelmed by adds is pretty high at this point, especially with Regen.
    * The goal is to never let it get this far.

Again, I think the point of this fight is "offense is your best defense". All add pops in this boss fight are timer based, not HP based (like say Batraal was). This means the faster she dies, the fewer adds you get. In this strategy, we only kill 3 tenders and that's it. If you're quick, those 3 tenders are the only slugs you'll ever see.

The advantage of this "no melee" boss setup in particular is that it is incredibly mindless and generally just involves 7/8 players in the party parking themselves and spam DD attacks. No risk or dodging of AoEs involved. Some limited MP management on the part of the BLMs but you have convert and full-time Battle Voice Ballad. After a couple successes with this strategy, you can run this half asleep/drunk pretty easily I'm sure.

The only person that should be near Miser at any time is the WAR, which makes life for healers much easier. Realistically you only need 1 healer, but we go with 2 since attempting to go faster doesn't really affect the outcome. I have no clue how fast a well executed MNK spam boss strategy is, but we already clear 5 chest runs with 2-3 minutes to spare, so it was really about safety over speed at that point.

There is definitely more than 1 way to approach this fight from a job setup perspective. We're very mage heavy so naturally we progress to a mage / back-line strategy. If your group is melee heavy, I'm sure MNK burn is probably more ideal for you. I think as long as you come in with the mentality of killing quickly to avoid being overwhelmed by adds, you'll do great.

Hope this helps!
    (15)
    Last edited by Kaeko; 03-18-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Dancing Mad (Excalibur Server)

Player
    Character
    Kipp Kaida
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeko View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks. Nice to see why/how/when they spawn. We only got like two tries at her at like 4 in the morning.

From what I remember, our setup was me tanking as WAR, another WAR, 2 DRG, MNK, 2 WHM, and BRD. These people wanted to go these jobs so why not. We got passed the Cyclops pretty easily with this setup too. Our MNK said he was in red hate a lot of the time, so collusion helps keep hate.

And I noticed in some videos, is there a point in the dungeon where you stop getting poisoned from the dungeon itself? It happened to us and we thought it was a glitch or something.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaeko Leta
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Poison Lung goes away permanently once you get Miser to 75%. If you wipe and return after removing Poison Lung, it's still gone so you won't be poisoned running to Miser from the start. We thought it was a bug first night too.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tsubaki Nakatsu
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    thank you for putting the thread back on topic for Lina Kaeko Would be nice to keep this in the General forums instead of getting it moved to Battle Environments. XD
    (1)
    www.bluegarter.guildwork.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydin View Post
    Look at you... Just when I thought I liked Carraway more (and Fusional A LOT LESS)... Richard... you're my new favorite

Player
    Character
    Kipp Kaida
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Poison Lung goes away permanently once you get Miser to 75%. If you wipe and return after removing Poison Lung, it's still gone so you won't be poisoned running to Miser from the start. We thought it was a bug first night too.
    Yeah we lost hate when 2 people were still alive lol and raised from there and no one had poison. We were like wtf the whole time.

The part about us dictating her position, if we have melee dd's, it's ok for them to attack her while I stand still? We pretty much had her in the sticky piss for the whole fight and still got her to half health lol. So in other words, we woulda won if not for that.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kipp Kaida
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_BG View Post
    thank you for putting the thread back on topic for Lina Kaeko Would be nice to keep this in the General forums instead of getting it moved to Battle Environments. XD
    Lol I'm sorry... we finally got passed cyclops and now want to complete the dungeon. Too much cutter's cry for me... I like Aurum Vale. It would've been cooler with Cyclops as the last boss IMO
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kaeko Leta
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    The part about us dictating her position, if we have melee dd's, it's ok for them to attack her while I stand still? We pretty much had her in the sticky piss for the whole fight and still got her to half health lol. So in other words, we woulda won if not for that.
    Miser will always go for the player with red flashing hate and has no issue moving to that player - unless it's in regen mode at a pond. So the instant you break regen mode it runs for the player with flashing red. So yes, you could have your tank park himself at your preferred location, have the melee force it out, then let the Miser run back to the tank.

Since I've never done a melee fight on Miser I don't know if this is necessarily prudent, but it does sound safer. For an all back-line, we can hit it regardless of if it's in the pond or where we truly want it to be. So our DPS doesn't suffer. But repositioning with melees may cause a slight dip in DPS.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kipp Kaida
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Miser will always go for the player with red flashing hate and has no issue moving to that player - unless it's in regen mode at a pond. So the instant you break regen mode it runs for the player with flashing red. So yes, you could have your tank park himself at your preferred location, have the melee force it out, then let the Miser run back to the tank.

Since I've never done a melee fight on Miser I don't know if this is necessarily prudent, but it does sound safer. For an all back-line, we can hit it regardless of if it's in the pond or where we truly want it to be. So our DPS doesn't suffer. But repositioning with melees may cause a slight dip in DPS.
    Yeah some of the places where she positions herself, dd's can be on the side or behind her at the pond. It's just to keep hate while they are going crazy on her.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zdenka Vaera
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    Our MNK said he was in red hate a lot of the time, so collusion helps keep hate.
    As long as you Quelling Strike your Howling Fist every time MNK threat should be fine. Maddening Potions for your tank work well also.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kipp Kaida
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdenka View Post
    As long as you Quelling Strike your Howling Fist every time MNK threat should be fine. Maddening Potions for your tank work well also.
    They have hate potions too? Lol thanks, I'll look into that
    (0)

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast