Thread: 5.0 Pet Changes

Player
    Character
    Iunia Arcena
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 80
    I remember using Titan to solo various FATEs and unsynced AAR Trials when I was going through the game for the first time. It felt so satisfying!

But as soon as Demi-Bahamut came online, and I actually learned something resembling a Summoner rotation, I quickly realised how... out of place Titan really was in the SMN kit. It's too squishy to tank anything that might require tanking, it can't seem to hold aggro even against its own summoner, leading to a lot of ping-ponging, and it basically locks you out of using Bahamut, because amongst the many things no Summoner wants during their burst phase, losing their tank is pretty high up on the list.

So honestly I think this change is for the better. Pets-treated-as-characters are probably some kind holdover from the FFXI days, or something, that the devs tried to fit into AAR at the same time as they were reworking it into a modern MMO, but could never reconcile the two objectives. My guess is that after three expansions (counting AAR where Arcanist was first added) worth of iteration and trying to make pets work in various disjointed ways (egis, demis, proc-batteries, support-bots), SE probably came to the conclusion that it was about time to pick one consistent direction and stick to it. At first glance, it seems that they've chosen to capitalise on the Demi mechanics.

And personally I'm really excited for what it means not only for Summoners but the game as a whole! I find it very interesting that DRK and MCH are suddenly also getting their own pets after such a long time of Yoshi expressing adamant dislike for pet classes. Perhaps if this works out, it might open doors for future pet classes after all?
    (1)
    Last edited by Bonbori; 05-27-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Player
    Character
    Iyami Galvayra
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NessaWyvern View Post
    Does that mean that Topaz Carbuncle and Titan-egi are useless now? I used to summon these to help out lowbies when the tank leaves early.
    "Now"? I'm confused.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Roda Tirhaalo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I hope we can still target out egis, or else I wont be able to /pet my carbuncle, and that's unacceptable!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Len Orlan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NessaWyvern View Post
    Does that mean that Topaz Carbuncle and Titan-egi are useless now? I used to summon these to help out lowbies when the tank leaves early.
    They will have a new function as an attack-type egi. In the Live Letter, Titan-egi's special ability was referred to as "Earthen Armor," possibly being some kind of defensive cooldown.
    (0)
    Last edited by Len; 05-28-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Player
    Character
    Leon Reddas
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 77
    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Titan-egi's special ability was referred to as "Earthen Armor," possibly being some kind of defensive cooldown.
    I speculate this will give SMN their own version of Manaward, could be just for themselves or for the party but we'll see!
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Len Orlan
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    I speculate this will give SMN their own version of Manaward, could be just for themselves or for the party but we'll see!
    What if it's...the return of Stoneskin!
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Iunia Arcena
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What if it's...the return of Stoneskin!
    *White Mage has left the channel*
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Yu Zeneolsia
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Titan-Egi/ Topaz- Carby was my tank when I was leveling from 10-70. I remember using the pet as a tank alot when doing FATES. I wonder what this means for Summoner and Arcanist, while the ARR content is easy, monsters in Heavensward and Stormblood dont die as fast.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Taisai Jin
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerune View Post
    Titan-Egi/ Topaz- Carby was my tank when I was leveling from 10-70. I remember using the pet as a tank alot when doing FATES. I wonder what this means for Summoner and Arcanist, while the ARR content is easy, monsters in Heavensward and Stormblood dont die as fast.
    That's a point, a number of the Arcanist quest relied on Topaz Carbuncle tanking, did they not? Same with some quest instances involving Alphinaud and his Carbuncle... I guess NPC Carbuncles can still play by old rules while ours change?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Yu Zeneolsia
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalien View Post
    That's a point, a number of the Arcanist quest relied on Topaz Carbuncle tanking, did they not? Same with some quest instances involving Alphinaud and his Carbuncle... I guess NPC Carbuncles can still play by old rules while ours change?
    Indeed. Atleast Summoners can use Chocobo as a tank after they reach level 30. I we should be getting more information tomorrow.
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast