Player
    Character
    Elione Skyracer
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1

Possible Compromise on Gender Locks: Volunteer Work

It's apparent that the community wants to have both genders playable for the new races. It's also apparent that this is a very difficult task for the development team.

My suggestion is for the community to offer help in development. With games like Skyrim, modders have already created high-quality mods that match the quality of the original game for free.

I understand there are a lot of variables here and this would require mutual participation from both parties, but I just wanted to offer a more active solution than exercising a loud voice.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Takkero Te
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Oh, yikes.
    (39)

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    There would be far too many legal issues to address. The game operates in numerous countries, each with their own laws and regulations when it comes to businesses using fan created designs and labour. In short, it would be a headache for all involved.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Roda Tirhaalo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Yeah this is just not feasible for a game like xiv.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Aoki Kha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    As nice as this sounds there are plenty of variables that would make things difficult, if not downright impossible. Cultural/language barriers for those who wish to volunteer outside of Japan for starters, plus I imagine there's the matter of copyright, intellectual property, compensation, contractual obligations, etc. I would argue that Skyrim and its modding community are different because mods are optional for that game and players have to manually download and install said mods themselves. The content you are suggesting volunteers for would be a part of the full game, not just as an add-on.
    (8)
    Last edited by Destati; 05-25-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyKaplan View Post
    No shortcuts we fall off the invisible platform like men
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsalmaveth View Post
    That's so sad. Bard, play Despactio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualgunner View Post
    Gagging death spasms are the best way to start a nap.

Character
    Vormav Tengille
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    i agree on this one, gender locking races would be a sad thing. female ronsos have their places in ff14 as well as male bunnies..... even if they tend to end up as a side dish xD
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    There would be far too many legal issues to address. The game operates in numerous countries, each with their own laws and regulations when it comes to businesses using fan created designs and labour. In short, it would be a headache for all involved.
    In addition to the legal issues there is also the problem that this would have to be an ongoing work, with deadlines.
    Every time they add new gear to the game it would have to be adjusted to fit the 'missing' race/gender combinations. What if the volunteers in question don't have time to adjust things before a given release date? Do they release things anyway even though it looks crap, or do they delay the release indefinitely?

No, a completely unfeasible suggestion I am afraid.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Roda Tirhaalo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by MistakeNot View Post
    In addition to the legal issues there is also the problem that this would have to be an ongoing work, with deadlines.
    Every time they add new gear to the game it would have to be adjusted to fit the 'missing' race/gender combinations. What if the volunteers in question don't have time to adjust things before a given release date? Do they release things anyway even though it looks crap, or do they delay the release indefinitely?

No, a completely unfeasible suggestion I am afraid.
    Well typically the work would be completed and then submitted before approval.
    The devs may say "ok clean this up", or "we'll clean up some of it" but the content would be functionally complete before anything is committed.

But I think the closest thing we'll see to this is just the same ol' armorset design contests.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Freyja Valkyrie
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    please don't lump the entire ff14 community under this. Not everybody wants the other genders for the two races, most are content with what we got and some don't want em in the game.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Samniel Atkascha
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Modding communities usually have nothing to do with the development team, even on "supported" games like those on the Steam Workshop. In those cases, the devs agree to let modders "polish" or "create" new content for their game, but it's recognized that it's not official content and they're not getting paid for it (and technically speaking, shouldn't be charging for it, in the case of paid mods, that's technically illegal).

Now I once dated an animator that had a similar idea for animation work and he ran into a lot of the same issues: you get into toruble with the unions, you have to take into account international law, your legal team gets a conniption because of the copyrights law and having to track down every freelancer to sing an NDA...

It'd work better if the XIV team gets an increased budget and manpower...
    (4)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast