Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Mansion Viscera
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    You don't need to fantasia / change your name on launch day.
    The devs need to allocate every resource and time to tackle potential last minute trouble to enable a smooth launch.

Not trying to throw oil on the fire but I guess in boils down to this. Priorities. And you still have tomorrow which would be the logical timing based on Heavensward .

(The Lore forum is a peaceful haven in these troubled times of entitled players salting around all over the forum, let's keep calm here too haha)
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Minuit Lecard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 71
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansion View Post
    You don't need to fantasia / change your name on launch day.
    The devs need to allocate every resource and time to tackle potential last minute trouble to enable a smooth launch.
    Except I'm fairly certain the lore team isn't on bug fix duty. This is something they would have completed early on in the lore development so that NPCs can be named to the conventions(or purposely not). There isn't much I can think of that should cause any changes to such a basic component of the lore.
    The simplest fixed, based on comments in this thread, would have been to add a post to the naming conventions thread with the headers for Hrothgar and Viera to show that it will be added. That wouldn't stop all of the comments, but it would at least give something tangible for the community to point to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansion View Post
    Not trying to throw oil on the fire but I guess in boils down to this. Priorities. And you still have tomorrow which would be the logical timing based on Heavensward .

(The Lore forum is a peaceful haven in these troubled times of entitled players salting around all over the forum, let's keep calm here too haha)
    ^ I'll second that. (Though I would like to get my alts name change figured out soon =) )
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Arismont Grinnaux
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by AvalonBright View Post
    Are people really this big of apologists over literally anything? "It's an unfair advantage for name securing" are you serious. The fact this game uses both first and last names should seriously render this issue completely moot. Even with xaela it's only an issue because Tribal names and Mongolian names are both such short lists.
    Allow me to digress:

For instance, the Chaos Data Center (in EU) has an active population of 62 122 characters. Across all servers, and in accordance to [1], the average number of active characters per server is 12 424; the criteria to be considered as active character is explained in the abovementioned reference. Now, let's assume that 10% of those active players are willing to Fantasia to a certain race - let's say, Viera - and name their characters according to lore, i. e. 1242 players.
    If the algorithm of the in-game name generator, according to lore naming conventions, has an input of 25 first names and 25 surnames, that would result in (25 x 25 =) 625 possible outputs; which is the number of different naming possibilities. As 1242-625 equals to 617, that would be the number of players left without a name suggested by the in-game generator. That self-same number equals to about 50% of the active population willing to Fantasia/name their characters according to lore. Now you could say that Naming Conventions provide the necessary information to create or come up with a lore-adequate-name. While that may be true, it is not that simple. Let’s assume, once again, that said naming conventions indicate that Viera names are derivative of Icelandic names (and we’re not even limiting these to 4 letters names only!). According to [2] (which is a name database), and as of today, there are 108 results for female Icelandic names. It does not provide surnames, which you’ll have to come up with one yourself. That would leave us with [617-(108 x3); where 3 is just a safety factor to compensate the usage of the same 1st name] 293 players left without any lore friendly name. This just elucidates how farfetched the naming system is, and how it would be worse if you could reserve a lore friendly name before EA.
    By releasing the naming conventions on patch day, it just a way to try to set a rule of first come first served. I think it is fair if this information is shared with everyone at the same time and at the right time; you (and everybody else) still have an entire day to figure out how to name your character.

References:
    [1] - https://ffxivcensus.com/2019-05/ (26/06/2019)
    [2] - https://www.behindthename.com/names/...sage/icelandic (26/06/2019)
    (1)
    Last edited by Vallaresi; 06-27-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Player
    Character
    Zorya Muunasch
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    I'm personally amazed by the amount of people who, like me, want to make sure they have lore-appropriate names. :O I thought I was in the minority!
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Larek Darkholme
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Viera: Daenerys Lanister (or equivalent)
    Hrothgar: Tyrion Targaryen (or equivalent)

Lore-approved!
    (0)

Larek Darkholme @ Ragnarok

Player
    Character
    Nera Mistdancer
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 76
    Just to play the devil's advocate here, but would being able to know the naming conventions before 5.0 be that terrible? I mean, everyone has access to the game already, and names are not limited to races or expansions. So everyone would be on the same ground if they wanted to change their name. I really don't see the issue, unless anyone is talking about people not playing currently, or new characters. But in that case it would also be "unfair" for any other player that starts playing in two days, a week, a month, or whatever.

That being said, they'll be released tomorrow, during the downtime. I've always been 99% sure, because of what they did with Au Ra. And, to be honest, I personally don't care. There's no rush.

P.S.: Can I pick xXxSephicloudxXx Lionthilly? Wait, I'm sure that someone used that one already. Damn...
    (1)

Greetings, everyone.

Thanks for your patience while we checked into this for you.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to release the naming conventions ahead of early access and launch of Shadowbringers. Once things have calmed down post-launch, the team will be able to better dedicate time to creating them. We know it's not the news you wanted to hear, but we appreciate your understanding.
    (44)
    Aya "Sicycre" Montoya - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Hime Matsuki
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicycre View Post
    Greetings, everyone.

Thanks for your patience while we checked into this for you.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to release the naming conventions ahead of early access and launch of Shadowbringers. Once things have calmed down post-launch, the team will be able to better dedicate time to creating them. We know it's not the news you wanted to hear, but we appreciate your understanding.
    This is literally the news I wanted to hear.

I'm fine with not getting the conventions before the update. I more than anything just wanted a clear indication of when I could expect it. Thank you.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Renfred Griefwald
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicycre View Post
    We know it's not the news you wanted to hear, but we appreciate your understanding.
    Well, at least that's some news. Either way, I wasn't really expecting to change my name anytime before or during the launch, so it's alright.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    K'nahli Yohko
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    Thank you for the update!
    (5)

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast