Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Advent Shadowsoul
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    I mean its a perfect opportunity to give WHM some barrier abilites, so a rework would be nice
    I mean, even in ARR i wondered why the duration, but it was nice to have applied doing outside world stuff as well as a dps or whatnot after the dungeon.
    (0)

Player
    isnt it messed up that goblet is a housing area and not a tiny goblin
    Character
    Dusk Himmel
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    considering they are moving away from this shield healer pure healer thing it will probably be reworked to just be succor for WHM
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Advent Shadowsoul
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskane View Post
    considering they are moving away from this shield healer pure healer thing it will probably be reworked to just be succor for WHM
    Makes sense, or something in that vein. Then again, stoneskin used to be a thing too, so theres no telling if/what they do
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloah View Post
    When Stormblood was being released and the role actions were being implimented, this was a possibility. But, Yoshi-P made the case that it's an iconic FF spell and should stay.
    Its traditional, "iconic" form amounted to more than a negligible amount of mitigation. XIV's version is not that. It is neither iconic, as it presently stands, nor good design.

If he's going to use that excuse, he needs to rework the skill, either giving it some niche separate from typical shielding (such as by providing bonus Defense/Magic Defense that is reduced with damage thereby prevented) or providing synergy with said shielding (such as through an actual significant percentile mitigation, usable much less frequently).
    (1)

Character
    Seraphor Vhinasch
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Protect is an iconic skill and should absolutely stay… as a WHM mitigation skill, along with Shell.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Brunox Sky
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientCrystal View Post
    Please.... It's a pointless shoved-in spell. Has no gameplay interactivity.

thx
    No, don't please.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Derio Uzumaki
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Protect is an iconic ff skill. They could rework it to be a role action healer shield or just keep it as is.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gemina Lunarian
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    It might be an iconic FF spell, but it's use in PvE is somewhat antiquated. For many of the console FF games, a protect barrier would typically cut physical damage in half and was always separate from Shell, which provided magic defense. In FFXI, it directly boosted your DEF stat in an amount depending on the tier; along with that, it's duration was reduced if a high tier was used on a player lower than the level it is required to be learned. Once again, it was also separate from Shell.

In FFXIV, I honestly don't know what it does. I just know that I am expected to cast it if anyone doesn't have it up. The tool tip says it increases physical and magical defense, but by how much? Does it even matter with healing as powerful as it is? I suppose you can say that if a player takes damage that leaves them in critical HP opposed to killing them, protect is doing its thing; I guess.

In this game, failing a mechanic in relevant content tends to hit you really hard and places a vuln stack on you. Pretty much insuring that you will not survive another hit be it a telegraph or an unavoidable unless topped off. Even then, enemy Crits are a thing. I remember all the one-shots from Diabolos' Shade Trust in Dun Scaith when the Crit damage would hit the player for well over their max HP. I see players with over 50% HP and protect up still get zapped all the time, and ask myself, "What the hell is protect even for?" Seems to me that a true protect in this game comes along with a higher ilv.

Perhaps that's what it should do, and give you actual survivability so I'm not dumping a ton of MP on rezzes instead of piss-poor damage mitigation that doesn't even matter. If it's iconic status is important to the devs, then update this skill to something so it lives up to its name. Right now, during battle, it is a waste of a GCD.
    (2)

How I came to be by the side of the chosen, and the moments we've sewn.
    This soul. Its attachment to all living things. The love they have known.
    Oh Warrior of light if only you could hear,
    just how closely I hold you dear.

Player
    Character
    Lemuel Baruch
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 86
    I do not see an issue with PRotect or shell. It would be great if it was a bit more engaging. Rather not see it gone, but it can be improved as others have said.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Azalea Ho'ru
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 70
    Would prefer a redesign, not removal. Pvp version is really good, like a interactive skill you put on that lasts a little while.

What I’m thinking is something like 10s duration x% reduction on all or members. 2.5s cast time, no cd. You use it when you need it.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast