Player
    Character
    Fu Soya
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 55
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    I feel for you, and you'll have a better response (maybe) from the subreddit as they aren't quite as die-hard about the whole "THIS IS A STORY DRIVEN MMO, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT??!" bs. It's an MMO, with a forced story. That's it. It's truly a shame that they ham fist it down your throat as it does turn away people (like yourself).

I skip the story myself, and I would say that if you can get past the obscene amount of MSQ items, you may find things you enjoy on the other side. Perhaps just take a break from the slog and come back to it to see if you feel any different. Just prepare yourself for a lot more of the same, at least until you're caught up on the MSQ.
    No, this is Final Fantasy, and as with every installment of Final Fantasy, the story is the star of the show. It has been this way for 25 plus years no matter what format the put it in.
    (23)

Player
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DBriggs304 View Post
    No, this is Final Fantasy, and as with every installment of Final Fantasy, the story is the star of the show. It has been this way for 25 plus years no matter what format the put it in.
    OK, lets talk about SE's only other MMO Final Fantasy XI. They didn't force full MSQ completion on you. Instead of comparing single-player games to an MMO, perhaps try comparing two things in the same genre.

If the story is the main show of XIV, what on earth do you do after it's all completed? Sit there idly twirling your thumbs? There is A LOT of other content outside of the Story (which really only lasts a short bit of time). MMOs pull players with varied interests, some will like story, some are here for other things. And there is nothing wrong with that.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Fu Soya
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 55
    OK, lets talk about SE's only other MMO Final Fantasy XI. They didn't force full MSQ completion on you. Instead of comparing single-player games to an MMO, perhaps try comparing two things in the same genre.

If the story is the main show of XIV, what on earth do you do after it's all completed? Sit there idly twirling your thumbs? There is A LOT of other content outside of the Story (which really only lasts a short bit of time). MMOs pull players with varied interests, some will like story, some are here for other things. And there is nothing wrong with that.
    It's not a comparison between the two formats (though that doesn't change the premise one bit) as it is still the fact that Final Fantasy games have always concentrated on story first. This isn't new.

This is no different other than the story is continuous.
    (19)

Player
    Character
    Sandra Dalvia
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Well, too bad it wasn't your cup of tea. Just keep in mind that:

1) As others have pointed out, this is still a Final Fantasy game, and it has a huge focus on the story. Complaining about getting too much story is like complaining that Dark Souls is too hard or that Mortal Kombat is too violent.

2) You're getting late to the game, so you're playing the story accumulated over 5+ years since release. It wasn't meant to be experienced in one go, it's been released in chunks: there was vanilla ARR, up until Praetorium, then patches were released every few months leading into Heavensward, each patch adding a small chunk of story. Then Heavensward and Stormblood follow the same format: big chunk of story and quests on the base expansion, then more patches leading into the next expansion. It's daunting for a newcomer to go through all of it in one go, but once you catch up with the rest of us you'll get a more relaxed pace.

Now, speaking of catching up, there's no need to burn yourself on trying to reach the current content asap. ARR and Heavensward had their own endgame back in the day, and there's lots you can do before reaching the current endgame. They've even added content you can do at lower lvls like PotD, pvp modes, Gold Saucer attractions, etc. And if that doesn't suit you then fair enough, keep making your way to the current endgame, but always keep in mind you're a latecomer and you'll need some patience. 2 weeks may seem like a long time in other games, but for the ammount of story and content this game offers... There's just too much to pretend to swallow in a week. My advice to you is to enjoy the trip, not just the destination. This game is a HELL of a ride to miss on it.
    (20)
    Naoki Yoshida:
    ...Similarly, these older MMOs also had a system where your house would break down if you didn’t log in after a while in order to have you continue your subscription, but this is a thing of the past and we won't have any system like that.
    Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/113554 at 1:14:22

Player
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DBriggs304 View Post
    It's not a comparison between the two formats (though that doesn't change the premise one bit) as it is still the fact that Final Fantasy games have always concentrated on story first. This isn't new.

This is no different other than the story is continuous.
    Only difference is the story is continuous in XIV? No, XIV forces you to complete 100% of the MSQ if you wish to be playing current battle content. Or maybe you just like exploring new zones? Have to keep up on that MSQ! Want to try new jobs? Hope you have access to Kugane...which requires full ARR/HW MSQ. There is a better way of handling this, and simply telling players that XIV isn't for them if they don't like the story is the wrong response.

XI let you complete most of the story at your own pace. Yes, you would at times need to complete up to a certain point, or have a certain rank, but the completion was left up to you after you unlocked whatever job/content it was you wanted. The story is not congruent in XI, but that's something that could have been improved upon with the release of XIV WITHOUT forcing it on players in-full.

At this point though, I'm going to tap out. I'm not trying to pull the "I'm gonna have the final word and will listen to nothing else!", but the last time this topic was around (last week or two?), it just goes around in circles and is a bit pointless.
    (8)

Character
    Seraphor Vhinasch
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    It's worth breaking your time up by revisiting the older content. Coils, Alexander, Crystal Tower, Mhach, maybe even PvP, in order to avoid burnout. The good thing is that all content is played, it's not forgotten about just because it's not the latest expansion content. (with the exception of Diadem)
    Although some of it, like Coils, may require you to find a good FC or LS to coordinate with other players for it.

You have to keep in mind that you're essentially playing through three expansions worth of story heavy content, this isn't like WoW where you just start at the latest expansion, this is all one cohesive story.

You're not going to just catch up to Shadowbringers at this late stage unless you put up with the slog of story content, and unless you skip all side content.
    So don't rush it, and take it at its own pace.
    (1)
    Last edited by Seraphor; 05-21-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Player
    Character
    Oniwori Kiyuromi
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90

This isn't FFXI though, it's FFXIV.
    You're overblowing when people say it's a story focus MMO, no one is saying it's the only thing to do.

People are just saying it's a big part. There is a reason way it's call Main STORY quest.

Like.. not to be rude, if the op has such a problem with story and cut scenes, this isn't the game for them. More so if they can't even bother to just hit skip, because that's a thing.

Maybe BDO is the game for them idk.
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesch137 View Post
    hello

i tested this game for 2 weeks now, reached level 60 and quit the game during the dragonsong quests. most annoying game of all time. this is my experience:

go to npc -----> cutscene -----> accept quest -----> cutscene -----> make quest -----> go to npc -----> cutscene ------> accept new quest -----> cutscene -----> go to next npc -----> cutscene
    -----> do quest -----> cutscene -----> go to npc -----> cutscene -----> accept dungeon-quest -----> cutscene -----> enter dungeon -----> cutscene -----> arrive first boss -------> cutscene
    -----> arive next boss -----> cutscene -----> arrive last boss -----> cutscene -----> defeat last bos -----> cutscene ------> go out of dungeon ------> cutscene-...................

WTF. from 2 weeks of playing i watched at least 1,5 weeks cutscenes without doing anything than watching. i quit this collection of cutscenes yesterday. i don't want to watch cutscenes for weeks just to be able to play the game i paid for! i love good lore and dont have a problem with some cutscenes, but this is absoluteley ridiculous.

So.. what did you WANT to do? What would have been the optimal experience for you to stick around?
    (2)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Fu Soya
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 55
    Only difference is the story is continuous in XIV? No, XIV forces you to complete 100% of the MSQ if you wish to be playing current battle content. Or maybe you just like exploring new zones? Have to keep up on that MSQ! Want to try new jobs? Hope you have access to Kugane...which requires full ARR/HW MSQ. There is a better way of handling this, and simply telling players that XIV isn't for them if they don't like the story is the wrong response.

XI let you complete most of the story at your own pace. Yes, you would at times need to complete up to a certain point, or have a certain rank, but the completion was left up to you after you unlocked whatever job/content it was you wanted. The story is not congruent in XI, but that's something that could have been improved upon with the release of XIV WITHOUT forcing it on players in-full.

At this point though, I'm going to tap out. I'm not trying to pull the "I'm gonna have the final word and will listen to nothing else!", but the last time this topic was around (last week or two?), it just goes around in circles and is a bit pointless.
    Which was the entire point. Its FF and its story driven even in the MMO format, hence the amount of cutscenes. Fortunately, as some have mentioned, you can skip most and watch them later (though the original raid in arr being unskippable is very annoying at times, but I see why they did it)

Regardless, there is still plenty for players to do.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by xxvaynxx View Post
    This isn't FFXI though, it's FFXIV.
    You're overblowing when people say it's a story focus MMO, no one is saying it's the only thing to do.

People are just saying it's a big part. There is a reason way it's call Main STORY quest.

Like.. not to be rude, if the op has such a problem with story and cut scenes, this isn't the game for them. More so if they can't even bother to just hit skip, because that's a thing.

Maybe BDO is the game for them idk.
    OK, last reply (maybe. lol). I'm quite the professional when it comes to skipping dialogue and going through the quests. I've been around this game since ARR launched, and I'm still here (albeit with breaks), even though I haven't read the story. I've also dumped far too much money into this game through subs and cash shop items. But with your reasoning, I shouldn't be in this game because I don't like the story.

Does that not seem a bit off to you?
    (4)

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast