Player
    Character
    Ryken Meadowhawk
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50

Opinions on Meldable Accessories?

So I just recently completed the 3 quests for Mutamix's crew that allow you to do all the materia stuff. I was pretty excited, and I converted all the gear I had been saving and got some carbonized catalyst. I was ready to start melding gear. Come to find out that you can only meld gear if your DoH is the one that can craft it. The NPC even explained this, so I have no problem with that, it makes perfect sense. My problem was that I am primarily going to level goldsmith as my DoH, I like being able to make the accessories and I like the high-risk/high-reward aspect of that class.

I am sure that you all know where this is going. I realized that as goldsmith, I can only meld materia to the circlets I make and the few other pieces of gear (mostly moddified weapons) that aren't accessories. So I melded some INT materia on my brass knuckles because I couldn't meld to the spiked knuckles.

I was curious what other people thought of the unmeldable status of accessories. They are abolishing the slot cost for that gear, which means that everybody will want to fill ALL accessory slots (good news for goldsmiths). I think that somewhere down the line, it would be nice to be able to meld materia to accessories. Because the accessory system is being streamlined, I think it might be viable to introduce materia that is compatible with them. What does everybody else think?

For example:
    They could introduce materia that can be melded to rings (and weapons) that provide a bit of extra elemental damage.
    Or being able to meld vitality materia to chokers.
    I have not seen any materia that boosts straight DEF and that would be nice for armor obviously, but maybe on rings too (rings of protection).

Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

tl;dr: Do you think it would be viable to be able to meld materia to accessories?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ryken Meadowhawk
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Anybody? Nobody?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Isidula Granviir
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Please god no, I'm already broke trying to single meld all my lancer gear, I don't want to have to buy more materia for my accessories.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ryken Meadowhawk
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    Hmm. I guess since I just started I have a bunch of extras. Want some of my crappy tier 1 stuff?
    *holds out hand-full of Piety+1*
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Isidula Granviir
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicka View Post
    Hmm. I guess since I just started I have a bunch of extras. Want some of my crappy tier 1 stuff?
    *holds out hand-full of Piety+1*
    Oh, I have plenty of materia, just 95% of it is completely useless for me (Tier 1 and 2, element and status resistance), and the other 5% isn't what I need (Mind and Int 4, etc.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Noctis Umbra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    100% against it. Doesn't even dimensionally make sense as the materia are as large as the gems of accessories themselves, if not larger.

Also, it just becomes 5 more things to stick materia into.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Crystal Violet
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    I find that goldsmith is heavily out of sync with the materia system. There are some weapons and a few odd armor we can affix materia to (I still think this is rather limited compared to most other crafts, and don't see what advantage gsm gains in return).

Also, concerning spirit-bonding, I thought accessories would have a lot of mileage, because people would buy many of them to turn into materia. However, the new spirit bond +1 equipement are accessories. It seems to me that people would rather equip their patriot choker, bracelet, and earring, rather than use these slots to spiritbond accessories.

Removal of slot cost was a great boon for goldsmith, don't get me wrong. However, I don't feel there is much longevity to the class once everyone has the accessories they need.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Asmeret Ikati
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    To prevent it from being OP, I'd say it would have to be the resistances to disabling effects. But it if never gets implemented I don't care. Like others have said, melding what I have now is already too much, haha.
    (1)
    Stick it in my Balmung.