Player
    Character
    Fwhalon Yhisa
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by oleerik View Post
    I do wonder if any of the many custom launchers out there would work for this, as a bandaid.
    Wouldn't you need to be able to run the official launcher to get the game update?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Isu Dazkar
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 68
    In theory you can grab the updates files from a VM or a proper windows install to bypass that issue, but considering how the launcher is just a weird web-browser I cannot imagine that it would be impossible to recreate the updater too. (Said by someone who really doesn't know enough about this to say anything)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mihalo Astaneaux
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Custom launchers are a no-go, unfortunately. One is way too complicated to compile and install for regular users (built on Node.js and Electron and apparently Electron requires a Bachelor degree in computing science to install), and the other doesn't run at all on WINE.
    I guess we are stuck with the official one. Square needs to fix it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rirotiro Mobaya
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Issue still occurs with fully updated client/launcher copied from Windows machine.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Isu Dazkar
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 68
    Has anyone in there gotten in touch with SE and received any kind of meaningful reply?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fwhalon Yhisa
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by oleerik View Post
    Has anyone in there gotten in touch with SE and received any kind of meaningful reply?
    Chatted with a support guy a few hours ago. He said that he would let someone know, but that he couldn't give any support due to the platform not being supported(understandable). Dunno if it actually got to any of the devs though.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Mihalo Astaneaux
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    The thing about this game is that the actual game itself works just fine under WINE. FFXIV the game client is not complicated, and it has so far survived two expansions. Shadowbringers probably won't be different.
    The problem is the LAUNCHER and if the game gave us the option to use a separate downloader/download game files directly (such as through Steam) and let us log into our accounts from within ffxiv_dx11.exe (I don't remember the file name off the top of my head), we wouldn't be having trouble.

It also appears the launcher is downloading something called "libcef.dll" but not using it, which is weird. It may be a Gecko issue, but the URL for the landing page is still wrongly duplicating.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Knight Quartz
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Hello. Same problem. Just adding my voice to the pile.

Tried playing around with the game config and wine settings, uninstalled, reinstalled, tried through Steam Proton to no avail.
    Thought about patching the game through a virtual machine then copying the files over to the host and using a custom launcher, but I ran into a myriad problems with the custom launchers themselves.

Basically unplayable as of the latest patch. Bummer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mihalo Astaneaux
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    We've got some updates for you, folks. It seems to be sad news. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...ment-485951027

It appears the BrowserType does now get ignored, assuming a value of 2 meant it would use CEF (instead of IE). libcef.dll doesn't get accessed anymore by the launcher (you can check this with stat libcef.dll in the launcher dir and looking at the access time, which for me gives the last time I ran the launcher before the update).

The weird thing is that this update did modify libcef.dll, which is weird if it isn't used anymore at all...
    In short, there is a very real possibility that we might not be able to play FFXIV on Linux anymore. Not until we have native IE support, or Wine-Gecko improves -- neither of which is likely anytime soon.

Square, the fact that this topic has existed for not even a day and has almost accrued a thousand views should indicate a sizeable enough portion of your customers are using Linux to warrant at least some of your attention. Could we please have some help?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Isu Dazkar
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 68
    I did send them a ticket directly asking about the BrowserType, hoping to get some attention.
    (1)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast