Player
    Character
    Feronar Lupescu
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90

What effect does the patron deity and name day have?

I'm returning after a while away, and I've always wondered: When you create a new character, you are prompted to select your character's name day and patron deity. What effect does that have in game?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by Feronar View Post
    I'm returning after a while away, and I've always wondered: When you create a new character, you are prompted to select your character's name day and patron deity. What effect does that have in game?
    Currently: No effect whatsoever.
    It used to be that your choice of patron deity had a tiny effect on your Elemental Resistances, but Elemental Resistance as separate stats was removed with Patch 4.2
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Leon Reddas
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 77
    Also I think it might make an appearance during the Ceremony of Bonding. It's been a while since I actually got married, but I'm sure the symbol of the two dieties of the bonding partners show up.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    It... shows up under one of the tabs when you open your character window. That's kinda about it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Miss Eclipse
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Would've been fun if we received a present in the mog mail when your 'birthday' arrives

But really I don't think it has any use for now, as mentioned by MistakeNot, it used to influence elemental resistances, but it has been removed since.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    Also I think it might make an appearance during the Ceremony of Bonding. It's been a while since I actually got married, but I'm sure the symbol of the two dieties of the bonding partners show up.
    Correct - the altar inside the Sanctum of the Twelve shows the symbol of your character and your partner's guardian deities during the ceremony (one one either side), but apart from that, the only other benefit your chosen guardian used to grant was a slight native elemental resistance to that particular element (for instance, my character's guardian, Azeyma, granted a slight resistance to fire), although that was abolished when Stormblood launched.

Back in the early 1.0 era you could also evoke your guardian during levequests in the form of a buff called 'Guardian's Blessing' which increased the EXP you gained, but that was replaced by rested EXP and Guardian's Blessing was removed.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fjrwn Ymir
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    They also affect the results in Valentione fortuneteller's sidequest from what I can tell.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sturm Churro
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMasamune View Post
    Would've been fun if we received a present in the mog mail when your 'birthday' arrives
    For sure. I actually use my real birthday for mine, so it would feel good.
    (0)
    WHM | RDM | DNC

Player
    Character
    Jenna Starsong
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMasamune View Post
    Oh man. I never even thought about it before but I should totally start sending my friends presents on their characters' birthdays.
    (1)