Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Napiboy Beserk
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    i usually throw it away if not needed, but for those who like to keep all they glamour items for "just in case i ever use it" would be great for those type of people.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Napiboy Beserk
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    thanks for the information, really helps to understand on why they wouldn't want to go in this route. hopefully in the future they can do something to make it easier to have access to those items instead of having to go back and farm for whatever you need.(fingers crossed)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    There are 3,722 weapons, shields, and tools; 8,326 armors; and 2,594 accessories. Subtract the 886 belts from the armor category, and that's a total 13,756 visible gear items. This data is directly from the Lodestone's Eorzea Database.

To store this information uncompressed for one character would require 13,756 bits. At 8 bits per byte, this is 1,720 bytes.

XIVCensus shows 15,058,908 characters across all worlds, and 605,525 "active" characters based on acquisition of the Dress-up Raubahn minion from 4.1 story. To store all glamour data for all 15some million characters would require an additional 26GB of storage space. On modern systems, this should (should) be a non-issue. However, if all 600some thousand active characters accessed their glamour catalog just once, it would require an additional 1GB of data transfer. If all these characters accessed their glamour catalog once per week, it would require an additional 4GB data transfer per month. Once per day, 30GB data transfer per month.

The devs have shown a consistent interest in keeping data access and transfer down, so I don't see this happening. They won't even let us access our 200 slot wardrobe + armoire everywhere.
    This is cool data but I want to say the WoW glamour log also stores literal thousands worth of data as well. Similarly other MMOs have done something like WoW too (some did it first, WoW is just an easy example). And of course the total number will be smaller since many items are duplicated. I think if they made it account wide (like WoW) they'd make it a lot easier on themselves though.

Last point of course is very true, I think it's unlikely they'll do it but I think the point stands that it can be done (in a general sense) and has been done.
    (1)
    Last edited by Shougun; 04-24-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    X'lota Qi
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    There are 3,722 weapons, shields, and tools; 8,326 armors; and 2,594 accessories. Subtract the 886 belts from the armor category, and that's a total 13,756 visible gear items. This data is directly from the Lodestone's Eorzea Database.

To store this information uncompressed for one character would require 13,756 bits. At 8 bits per byte, this is 1,720 bytes.

XIVCensus shows 15,058,908 characters across all worlds, and 605,525 "active" characters based on acquisition of the Dress-up Raubahn minion from 4.1 story. To store all glamour data for all 15some million characters would require an additional 26GB of storage space. On modern systems, this should (should) be a non-issue. However, if all 600some thousand active characters accessed their glamour catalog just once, it would require an additional 1GB of data transfer. If all these characters accessed their glamour catalog once per week, it would require an additional 4GB data transfer per month. Once per day, 30GB data transfer per month.

The devs have shown a consistent interest in keeping data access and transfer down, so I don't see this happening. They won't even let us access our 200 slot wardrobe + armoire everywhere.
    Though somewhat inflated this is a tiny amount by today's standards.
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2