Player
    Character
    Arathea Dracul
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90

The Last Races

Assuming we get Male Viera and Female Hrothgar, hopefully someday in the future, "should" these be the last races SE adds with how difficult it is to add races to the game?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Y'sira Kurai
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningskull View Post
    Assuming we get Male Viera and Female Hrothgar, hopefully someday in the future, "should" these be the last races SE adds with how difficult it is to add races to the game?
    They said these were the last. Appears to be a lot of work or they wouldn't have said that. Personally I'd be happy with Limited races where they don't need to refit all the old gear but just the new stuff and and add some special race specific exclusive items.
    (4)

Player
    isnt it messed up that goblet is a housing area and not a tiny goblin
    Character
    Dusk Himmel
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    they should be the last
    and then they should work on improving character creator afterwards

honestly though with the plump miqote in the ShB trailer i feel like they are just gonna go with allied races in WOW just get different kinds of miqote,elezen,au ra etc etc
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Arathea Dracul
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaTsarra View Post
    They said these were the last. Appears to be a lot of work or they wouldn't have said that.
    They said "probably" the last. Doesn't mean that SE wont do them again if they feel they can.
    (4)
    Last edited by Burningskull; 04-17-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    While I know (and can appericiate) that the look of their character is an important part of the game for many people - myself actually included to some degree - I dont feel like the amount of work it takes them to develop and introduce new races has a huge enough benefit to the overall game and to most of the playerbase to warrant it.
    I'd rather see them spend their ressources on either more "gameplay-content" (dungeons, trials etc. - stuff that you can actually play) or to enhance the "glamour"-options we already have (give existing races more options to pick from, like faces etc. or create more costumes and the like).

I might be wrong but I'm under the impression that often new races arent requested because they would fill a real void, but rather because people just want any new race - just for the sake of it being new. I can understand the desire for Viera, specially since it was an already known race AND they showed some concept-art and I kinda get why Hrothgar are going to be a thing (they really do fill a niche in the game). But beyond that I feel that we're at a point where we have a good choice between races and that a lot of follow up requests would be more of the sort "I just want something new!!" - which I just dont get... are people so unhappy with their characters...?
    I just feel like even if our character-creator is limited, everyone should already be able to create a good looking character - so the amount of work stands in no relation to the benefit to me.

Even though I'm extremly happy that they added FemRoes as option with 2.0, I would have still enjoyed the game playing as a different character. Thats why the game to me seems perfectly playable and enjoyable, even with the races that already exist. Adding more adds to little to the overall experience of the game - specially for the majority of the playerbase who wont even pick one of the new races (whatever they might be).
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Phoenix Down
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I don't mind if they are the last, honestly. But I do hope that they'll revisit the character customization in the future if they choose not to add any new races. It would be really lovely to get some fresh new face options for the existing races. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they offer us more extensive options for Hrothgar and Viera, since that might be an indication that they could possibly be planning to extend options for other characters as well. (tbh I'll be a bit disappointed if it's the standard "here are 4 preset faces with very slightly different options, go crazy")
    (9)

「Life is such a fragile thing…」

Player
    Character
    Y'sira Kurai
    World
    Halicarnassus
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikki View Post
    I don't mind if they are the last, honestly. But I do hope that they'll revisit the character customization in the future if they choose not to add any new races. It would be really lovely to get some fresh new face options for the existing races. I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they offer us more extensive options for Hrothgar and Viera, since that might be an indication that they could possibly be planning to extend options for other characters as well. (tbh I'll be a bit disappointed if it's the standard "here are 4 preset faces with very slightly different options, go crazy")
    A friend told me they will have more face options than previous races. She also said that was because they could offer these additional features because there were no opposite gender counterparts. I can't say if that is true but I think that was discussed on Reddit where she spends a lot of time. We should find out about the additional options if they exist soon.
    (1)

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Yes. We arguably should not have seen Viera and Hrothgar added. Instead, the existing playable races should have been given enhanced customisation options. We're reaching a point where the NPC's look so much better and well designed compared to player characters.
    (18)
    Last edited by Theodric; 04-18-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    They mentioned they are playing with the body morphs when they did the Fat Cats, so they might be coming out with a few #currentyear (at least it's not WoW's lol) model features which could be really cool. New character creation options would be nice (highlander eyebrows yes yes).

I think they could add some side races later, a bit like Allied Races. For example in another thread I made a short blurb of how the Sil'Dih (sister city of Ul'dah) had to move their bodies into advance mammets (Vivi) because of the messy halls of endless nights full of zombie hordes attacking them. Vivi race uses lalafell animations, just looks like vivi when cloaked and looks like one of the fancy mammets we already see in game when fully naked.

Or a race of Au Ra trapped in an Allaghan machine that tore part of their mountain into the void and over the years their scale and horn like features exaggerated to the point they look closer to their concept art (female Au Ra using a fuller/plumper Viera model and animation set with tweaks to only specific animations, male model just becoming a bit thicker and new more extreme scale options).

Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    We're reaching a point where the NPC's look so much better and well designed compared to player characters.
    NPC are cheating, typing in some hax to get the unlocked character creation kit. Give me that mod! :3.
    (5)
    Last edited by Shougun; 04-18-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kalise Relanah
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningskull View Post
    "should" these be the last races SE adds with how difficult it is to add races to the game?
    That depends entirely on what perspective you're looking at things from.

If the dev team gets no additional resources and thus is incapable of keeping up their quality with other aspects of the game AND designing new playable races. Then yes, these SHOULD be the last new races. Since, while yes, more races is more customization, at the end of the day, it's the core content of the game that keeps us playing (Even if the real end game is glamour... We still need new pretty clothes to wear). Besides, we already have femko'te why would we need any other races

If the dev team does get additional resources and thus becomes capable of adding new races alongside other content... Then maybe? It's hard to say. New races can be cool, but at the same time could those resources be spent somewhere else - Such as developing the current races customisation? Adding more depth to the Glamour system (Such as dying different parts of gear!)?

I think if they do have the possibility to add more races, they should do so sparingly as well as make a point to do so as a way of developing the world and lore - Such as if Tonberries became a playable race I'd want to see the lore about how they became accepted by others, how they prevented the sickness from spreading, what is to come out of the research into the cure for the sickness, how they managed to get their ability to control aether up to a high standard again etc.

As opposed to slapping a race in because it looks cool and then just writing a bit of lore about where they came from/where they fit into things (Especially 2.0 MSQ timeline...)
    (2)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast