Player
    Character
    Azrael Veredis
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 67

Can't start the FFXIV launcher on PC and have another issue regarding the PS4 version

Good afternoon, so as the title says, I can't open the FFXIV launcher anymore. Whenever I double click the desktop Icon to start the game nothing happens. If I double click it a second time a pop up appears saying the launcher is already running, even though I cant see it anywhere on the screen. Theres nothing open in 'Applications' tab in the Task Manager either, however 'ffxivboot.exe *32' appears in the 'Processes' tab which is rather weird...

I reinstalled the game on a new SSD Hard drive (as my C: drive is pretty full) and it worked for like a day or so by opening the launcher the first time. However when I closed the game after playing it and then tried to re-open it later the launcher wouldn't show up at all again. It worked again after I restarted my PC, but again only the first time starting the launcher, after closing it and trying to start it again it wouldnt work. At the current point in time I can restart my PC all I want, the launcher just won't start anymore.

So then I thought, you know what, I'll just buy the game again on the PS4...only to find out that I already have the PS4 version of A Realm Reborn linked to my SE Account via an old PSN Account that I dont use anymore, nor do I know the password for anymore. I cant even change the password for that PSN Account as the E-mail Address registered to the account doesn't exist anymore... So yeah, I subbed to FFXIV for a month a few days ago and can't even play it at the moment which is annoying. I'm prepared to buy the FFXIV complete collection on PS4 if there is any way of changing or deleting the PSN Account linked to my SE Account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    (0)

Good afternoon and thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to address the PS4 issue here as that is an account related issue.

As for the PC issue, it sounds like the FFXIV process doesn't close when you exit the game. How exactly do you exit the game?

You mentioned that you could see the process in the Task Manager. Try right-clicking it and selecting 'End Task' then try opening the launcher again.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Azrael Veredis
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 67
    Hi, thanks for the reply! The PS4 Issue has been fixed, but the PC issue still remains.

I was able to start and play the game a couple of times tonight. To shutdown the game I click exit game in the in-game menu, which is the correct way I assume?
    The game did have trouble shutting down however so I had to end the application in the task manager. After that the launcher wouldnt start anymore (same problem as before)
    I ended the process then started again and nothing, and repeated it a few times in a row, still nothing. I'm gonna restart the PC now and see what happens.

One thing I did find strange though when I installed ARR I was able to choose a location to install it to, with HW and SB expansions they just installed by themselves without being able to choose where.
    They installed themselves on a different drive than ARR is installed on....dunno if that has anything to do with it?
    (0)

Thank you for the reply Wasabipeanut.

I looked into this by having the Task Manager open when I launched the game. The 'ffxivboot.exe *32' process opened for a moment, but then was replaced by the 'ffxivlauncher.exe' process. When you first turn on the PC (before launching the game), do you see this process in the task manager, or does it only appear when you launch the game for the first time?

On the Task Manager, select the 'Startup' tab. Do you see Final Fantasy XIV here? If so, try disabling it and restart the PC.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Azrael Veredis
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 67
    Well, the launcher seems to work again now that i've disabled the Kaspersky Antivirus...guess it has compatibility issues with FFXIV. It's weird cause its always worked fine till now. Anyway, at least i've found the current issue!

Thanks for the replies and for your input
    (0)

Thank you for the update Wasabipeanut.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution. If this issue comes up again, please create a new thread.

This thread will be moved to the 'Closed Concerns' subforum as the issue has been resolved.

Thank you for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.
    (0)