Player
    Character
    Mother Vain
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

Laughs AT YOU versus Laughs With/By/From You

In English, when I "laugh at you", it's usually meant in a mean manner. It's often suggested with mockery.

Laughing *with* you, or *from* you, or *by* you seems to be the actual intent of the emote.

I was wondering if you'd review this emote's verbiage to look at the intent. A random person in Rhalgr's who "laughs at you" seems rather mean spirited.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
    (1)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mother Vain
    Founding Leader for <TAINT> on Gilgamesh, the world's largest LGBTQIA+ gaming community

Giving OVER 3,000+ human beings around the world somewhere to call home since ARR beta.
    https://tiny.cc/taintinvite/

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Yes and no, I think.

Change the wording, and you won't ever be able to make your character laugh AT something funny.

Maybe your friend told a joke, or changed into a ridiculous glamour? You're laughing at them, not with them (they're not laughing), from them (bad grammar) or... well, technically you're by them, but that sounds like you're laughing to yourself and not paying attention to them.

If you just want to laugh, you can cancel targeting first.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Jaheth
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 73
    Perhaps two different emotes then? one "Laugh" for "laughs at", and "Laugh2" for "laughs with"? Although could it be easier to create a macro "/em laughs with you", although it would lack the animation and sound clip?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ruin Darkstride
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Meh, if I have a friend say something funny, I laugh at them. If you watch a comedian, you laugh at them. I think intent has a lot more to do with how it is seen or heard as a statement. I get where you're coming from, but I think it's one of those things you'd have to choose to be offended or upset by.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeWolfe View Post
    Perhaps two different emotes then? one "Laugh" for "laughs at", and "Laugh2" for "laughs with"? Although could it be easier to create a macro "/em laughs with you", although it would lack the animation and sound clip?
    That's what the "motion" option for an emote is for, so we can apply custom text to emotes when the default text isn't appropriate for the current scenario.

/laugh motion
    /em laughs with Khuja'to Jaheth.
    (0)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Miss Eclipse
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I actually like the way it is now. I can 'laugh at' my hubby whenever his terrible bad luck turns him into an frog in POtD or an otter in HoH

Joking aside, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think anyone gets really offended by it ? I never noticed that at least.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hyomin Park
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    The emote is fine, tbh. No need to spend time changing the flavor text, really.

“Laugh from you” is not a grammatically correct (or sensible) statement.
    “Laugh by you” also sounds a bit awkward—it would make more sense to say “Laughs beside you” instead.
    (0)
    Sage | Astrologian | Dancer

마지막 날 널 찾아가면
    마지막 밤 기억하길

Hyomin Park#0055