Player
    Character
    Frosty Pixels
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70

Sure would be great if I didn't get punished for poor design

I'm getting real tired of being thrown into the last duty I did whenever I didn't even want to do it. Maybe you guys should make it where it doesn't keep duties selected, or you know DON'T PUNISH ME FOR LEAVING WHEN I DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO DO THAT DUTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Callinon Soulforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPixels View Post
    I'm getting real tired of being thrown into the last duty I did whenever I didn't even want to do it. Maybe you guys should make it where it doesn't keep duties selected, or you know DON'T PUNISH ME FOR LEAVING WHEN I DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO DO THAT DUTY IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by the time you're a level 70 DRK you should probably have a fair idea of how the duty finder interface works.
    (10)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Exactly, don't want to do a certain dungeon/trial? Don't queue through Duty Roulette! Roulettes assign you to a duty based on how many lower level players are specifically queuing for that trial (and 'Main Scenario' ones are only two so there is a 50/50 chance you'll get one or the either anyway) - it's not simply an easy way of getting tomes, that's just a carrot to get high level players doing those duties to help new players out. So if you're getting the same duty over and over then maybe new players need it and it's working as intended.

Don't think the roulette carrot is worth the effort of doing that duty repeatedly? Don't do roulettes then! It's as simple as that.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    Don't queue through Duty Roulette!
    This might be a misinterpretation of the OP. It sounds like she is forgetting to de-select duties after she's done with them, before selecting the next duty to queue.

To OP, it's not poor design. Farming singular duties is a thing that happens, and so it makes sense to keep duties selected between DF queues. It's the responsibility of the queuing player to deselect duties s/he doesn't want to do.
    (3)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Akatsubaki Dovakin
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    Exactly, don't want to do a certain dungeon/trial? Don't queue through Duty Roulette! Roulettes assign you to a duty based on how many lower level players are specifically queuing for that trial (and 'Main Scenario' ones are only two so there is a 50/50 chance you'll get one or the either anyway) - it's not simply an easy way of getting tomes, that's just a carrot to get high level players doing those duties to help new players out. So if you're getting the same duty over and over then maybe new players need it and it's working as intended.

Don't think the roulette carrot is worth the effort of doing that duty repeatedly? Don't do roulettes then! It's as simple as that.
    It wasn't even a roulette, they are complaining about a duty that they selected and queued for.
    Then on top of that they don't like being punished, (aka the penalty for leaving a duty), even though they had no problem punishing the other 3 to 7 ppl in their group because they didn't want to be in an instance they queued for themselves.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Even better is knowing that queuing for specifics will always tell you what's popped when you have to confirm. Not only is OP queuing for an instance they don't want, they're actively confirming their entry into the specified instance before being penalized for leaving the instance that they had the chance to withdraw from entry.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Fugu Barr
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Agreed. Once you've completed a duty, it should be cleared. I recently did a trial that went badly (died 6 times), and definitely didn't want to run it again). Later, I queued up a couple dungeons, and ended up in the same trial again. I left group, and ate the 30 minute penalty.
    I guess the fix is to click the Clear All button every time I enter DF.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Callinon Soulforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSmoot View Post
    Agreed. Once you've completed a duty, it should be cleared. I recently did a trial that went badly (died 6 times), and definitely didn't want to run it again). Later, I queued up a couple dungeons, and ended up in the same trial again. I left group, and ate the 30 minute penalty.
    I guess the fix is to click the Clear All button every time I enter DF.
    On the other hand, having the DF interface NOT clear itself every time you complete a duty certainly does make farming things quicker.

That sounds like a far more common use-case than what you've described.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    If you're selecting duties because you need a single run to complete a quest, then once you've completed it, you probably don't want to do it again right away and it would be nice if the interface removed your selection when done.

If you're selecting duties you want to farm for an achievement, a rare drop, XP, some variation of light farming, etc., then you likely are going to want to run it again, and having the interface keep it selected saves you from having to go back and re-select it each time.

SE made a choice based on which they think is most common for most players. It's not so much "poor design" as simply design that doesn't match your own current use case.

(I suppose they could add a selectable option players could set as to which pattern they personally use most and prefer, but that adds one more point of complexity into the game's configuration options, and a lot of players are turned off by games whose configuration seems overly complicated. For every selectable option, developers have to decide if the flexibility is worth the complexity.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Niwashi; 03-27-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    (I suppose they could add a selectable option players could set as to which pattern they personally use most and prefer, but that adds one more point of complexity into the game's configuration options, and a lot of players are turned off by games whose configuration seems overly complicated. For every selectable option, developers have to decide if the flexibility is worth the complexity.)
    They did put in a Clear Selection button, though. Alternatively they could have included a "Last Selection" button that checked all the things you queued for last time, but clearing all is a much more common implementation among UIs, so this choice probably came down to convention. Defaulting to clear all and requiring a button for last selection would be generally considered less user friendly than keeping the last selection and requiring a button to clear all.
    (1)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour