Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Crysten Kimura
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Story skip or not, considering the ability and mental capacity of most adventurers and Warriors of Light it's clear Hydaelyn needs a better vetting process either way.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Sa'hana Zhralyia
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    If you aren't a Legacy character then you aren't a WoL. We're the ones who were there in Eorzea's greatest time of need and then sealed away outside of time for 5 years! NPCs even refer to us as Warriors of Light well before you"ve even fetched your first item for somebody. The adventurers who sacrificed all for the realm yet none could remember us due to that blinding light. WE are the TRUE Warriors of Light!

Joking and all that aside I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or just be real. Who really cares if you've bought a potion to skip ahead, the game doesn't. All they're missing is the story so that's up to the player. As long as they're having fun, let them.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Krystal Abyss
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihana View Post
    Joking and all that aside I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or just be real. Who really cares if you've bought a potion to skip ahead, the game doesn't. All they're missing is the story so that's up to the player. As long as they're having fun, let them.
    How about the other option that's just genuine curiosity?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aya Hamada
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalise View Post
    I know right.

I can see it now:

Shadowbringers - We've gone to the First Shard

Minfilia: Hey, WoL it's good to see you again! Oh, while you're here could I ask you to go tell my mother I'm doing well? Kthanxbai!

WoL: D... Did you just get me to go through literal hell and back to cross over to another freaking SHARD just to ask me to talk to your mother when you could easily have Hydaelyn bring me into the Aethereal Sea like she always does to ask me that?

*Choking Sounds*

WoL: Oh no! There appears to have been an accident with Minfilia's whole "Died but came back" thing! What a shame.
    here is the real story
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Camille Blythe
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacan View Post
    Imo, not really. I mean, I think there is a difference between doing stuff as hydaelyn's chosen and just paying like $60 to act like you did. I think they should do something ingame to differentiate the real warriors of light from the ones who bought their way in. Like maybe call them "Warrior of Light Jr." instead?

Almost seems like stolen valor to call yourself a WoL when all you did was pay SE money. :v Does anyone else feel the same? Nothing against skip potion users, but I don't consider them on the same level as the other warrior of lights, like myself.

Do you really need to brand other players to make yourself look better by comparison? Why not just let your own skill and experience speak for itself?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Sa'hana Zhralyia
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Gula View Post
    How about the other option that's just genuine curiosity?

The way the whole thing has been worded I strongly doubt that. The OP treats "Warrior of Light" as a special real world title and doesn't recognize players who skipped as the real deal. I don't really approve of using level/story skips if you're a brand new player either but in the end it's just a title and doesn't give you rights to look down upon those who skipped. As long as they're a willing player who takes the time to learn the ins and outs of the game and their job I don't care.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ceolred Stone
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    Do you really need to brand other players to make yourself look better by comparison? Why not just let your own skill and experience speak for itself?
    Not trying to make them look bad or anything, I just don't like them claiming to be WoLs when they haven't been through the same stuff I have. I mean, I literally got framed for someone's murder. All those guys did was open up their wallets. Our experiences just aren't the same. We shouldn't be on the same level.

I wouldn't want to lock skip potion users out of the status forever though. After they completed a new game + they'd get to be fully fledged WoLs too. I think that's only fair.
    (0)

Player

The Warrior of Light is what the other characters call your character, and they have no way of knowing about the existence of boost potions.

That said, cosmetic rewards (title, glamour) for people who did not use any boost potion isn't a problem, but it has to reward people who do the work, not demean people who don't, none of this "WoL Jr" nonsense.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cenric Asher
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I don't think it's an issue tbh. People play and use skips for all sorts of different reasons with all sorts of gaming experience behind the choice. You have no way of knowing. Making a negative assumption seems unnecessary and petty to me.

I leveled up my main the old fashioned way. I've partially leveled up alts before skipping and plan to level some up organically too. But having spent months focusing on my main learning how stuff works and watching through jobquest cutscenes on youtube... I decided that there were cases I wanted to use level skip for. Not MSQ skip (although I could have) but job. For me, that makes for a better experience.

Other people use skips so they can catch up to friends more efficiently. Spending heaven knows how long going through 2.0 fetch quests wouldn't be meaningful to them in the same way.

Ultimately, this is a game and the function of a game is fun/entertainment. I truly think that people who forget this need to step back. Being a highly skilled game fighter might be what's fun for some players, but it's not a job. Plus different players have fun in different ways. Some might want to focus on design or glamour. Some might want to focus on storytelling. Some on fighting. Some on crafting and gathering. Some on social elements. This is a huge and versatile game and people are not clones of each other when they play it, nor should they be.

There are so many reasons to actually lose respect for people. Why add on small, needless offense to things like this?

(Also disclaimer, OP I'm not mad at you or anything. Might be critical of the argument but I figure you have a lot to you as a person and this hardly defines you.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 03-10-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sa'hana Zhralyia
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacan View Post
    Our experiences just aren't the same. We shouldn't be on the same level.

I don't see what your experience compared to theirs has to do with anything. This just sounds like a bunch of self entitlement. You aren't any better than them. So instead of trying to make demands just take pride in the fact you went through the steps, the story, and got to experience it. Treasure the memories. By skipping the main story they're depriving themselves of what you as the Warrior of Light went through. You don't have to like it but have to accept it. Every player is a Warrior of Light in their own story, there's only one. Period. How they experience it doesn't matter.

EDIT: I want to mention I am referring to THE Warrior of Light, as in the one who defeated the Black Wolf, ended the Dragonsong War, liberated lands, and so on. The game DOES refer to there being many WoLs out there but they aren't the main one. You the player have that role.
    (6)
    Last edited by Mihana; 03-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast