Player
    Character
    Alexis Kitsune
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 81

Quest that should exist but doesn't

The warrior of light = someone who traveled to this new a exciting land becoming a hero.
    Wouldn't it be nice to visit home once in a while? Wouldn't any of us miss where we grew up ? To visit family or friends to see old places talk with people you haven't seen in years tell stories of where your from? Doesn't the warrior of light get homesick ,worry about people back home or want to try a challenge they weren't able to do before going on the trip away from home?

Do you want to see your characters hometown?

I do. I would love a quest that involved talking with a scion telling them about home based on choice options then taking a trip back home to visit with the interactions set by the choices made . did you have a childhood friend who was your 1st teacher , what were your parents like did you have little or big brothers and/or sisters did you have a love interest? it would be nice to set the setting and maybe for the 1st time put the voices we select to use and start having our character speak( that honestly has been a long time coming and other mmo's are doing it. I don't want ffxiv to fall out of favor because its too mono toned silent)

Y'shtola asks : Dear friend . Long it has been that we started this journey together. I find myself Wondering if you miss home and realize you never speak of it . Tell me of your home? ( then options come up that give specific cinematic's when you return home - there would be two lines to basically follow each ending up with the same quest reward but play out completely different ).

OPTION 1: My mom is a strong woman . My father passed while i was young but he showed me the basics in ( beginning job here ) . I have a brother and a sister very skilled in ( select job here 1 combat 1 craft ). I miss them all the time. (Y'shtols ask's if you left behind anyone els special? )- (choose yes - no- if yes choose him or her ) Then Y'shtola suggests a visit home to meet them _ you go home visit family and introduce your new friends in the home you grew up in (all in cinema when you go to the house). Meet up with friend left behind if yes and have a second cinematic giving a hug or kiss reunion and close out quest now free again to explore and maybe a few fetch quests.

(Reward: A outfit in the design basics of the area Village attire - cosmetic only )

OPTION 2: You choose to be raised by a teacher who was like family having lost yours , the quest cinematic's adjust to fit , - explains your knowledge of the basics - same options with the love interest.

Note: If no love interest is selected the quest close is on the parent/teacher with second supportive cinematic- same reward - .
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Florian Nozomu
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SorceressVal View Post
    The warrior of light = someone who traveled to this new a exciting land becoming a hero.
    Wouldn't it be nice to visit home once in a while? Wouldn't any of us miss where we grew up ? To visit family or friends to see old places talk with people you haven't seen in years tell stories of where your from? Doesn't the warrior of light get homesick ,worry about people back home or want to try a challenge they weren't able to do before going on the trip away from home?

I do. I would love a quest that involved talking with a scion telling them about home based on choice options then taking a trip back home to visit with the interactions set by the choices made . did you have a childhood friend who was your 1st teacher , what were your parents like did you have little or big brothers and/or sisters did you have a love interest? it would be nice to set the setting and maybe for the 1st time put the voices we select to use and start having our character speak( that honestly has been a long time coming and other mmo's are doing it. I don't want ffxiv to fall out of favor because its too mono toned silent)

Y'shtola asks : Dear friend . Long it has been that we started this journey together. I find myself Wondering if you miss home and realize you never speak of it . Tell me of your home? ( then options come up that give specific cinematic's when you return home - there would be two lines to basically follow each ending up with the same quest reward but play out completely different ).

OPTION 1: My mom is a strong woman . My father passed while i was young but he showed me the basics in ( beginning job here ) . I have a brother and a sister very skilled in ( select job here 1 combat 1 craft ). I miss them all the time. (Y'shtols ask's if you left behind anyone els special? )- (choose yes - no- if yes choose him or her ) Then Y'shtola suggests a visit home to meet them _ you go home visit family and introduce your new friends in the home you grew up in (all in cinema when you go to the house). Meet up with friend left behind if yes and have a second cinematic giving a hug or kiss reunion and close out quest now free again to explore and maybe a few fetch quests.

(Reward: A outfit in the design basics of the area Village attire - cosmetic only )

OPTION 2: You choose to be raised by a teacher who was like family having lost yours , the quest cinematic's adjust to fit , - explains your knowledge of the basics - same options with the love interest.

Note: If no love interest is selected the quest close is on the parent/teacher with second supportive cinematic- same reward - .
    I think this wouldn’t work because it’s a “You can’t please everyone thing” and most people wouldn’t like any options given. It’s a cool idea though.
    (1)
    “Courage is the magic that turns dreams into a reality”

Player
    Character
    Maximum Powerful
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    you are the warrior of light. you know where you come from. you are the visitor. there is no "home" from whence you came.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by SorceressVal View Post
    The game won't know what I have decided that my character's hometown is, and therefore won't be able to show it.
    The answer options that you outline are far, far, far too limited.

So, no, it is better that such a quest does not exist. If it did exist it would only disappoint.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Vidu Moriquendi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    The WoL is a blank canvas intentionally, so that your imagnitation can fill in such blanks. Your character in this game is not a fixed character with a complete background story and thats by design.

I'm not a roleplayer, I dont have a background story for my character but I still dont want to see such a quest. Or maybe I also dont wanna see such a quest because I have no backstory for my character and suddenly being confronted with "Here! This person has known you since you were little!" would feel completly weird and out of place.

Furthermore this game doesnt tell the personal story of your character, unlike other FFs. Your character has excatly the story you give him or her - all those questions you bring up are questions that you can answer yourself, answers you can choose for yourself and answers that fit your narrative best.

Vidu doesnt has a backgroundstory, she doesnt need one and I dont want to be forced into one. I dont want to follow a questline into a village to meet two generic Roegadyn, claiming to be the parents of my character, knowing that every other Roegadyn will meet the excat two NPCs. (Or hears the same story about how your parents died from a generic NPC.)
    It would take away more than it would add and would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Its an intresting storytelling "idea" in a game that has a definied maincharacter. This game does not.
    I wouldnt mind seeing such quests for the more important NPCs - and we learn certain things about some of them already!

But my character is mine. I get to tell her story, if I wish to. I admire the writers of this game, but they wont write my story.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    To the OP: that sort of storytelling does not actually exist in FF games - FF titles which allow you to create your character will always cast the player character/characters as a blank slate, a generic template that is left for you to fill in the revelant information (the two FF MMOs this is definetely the case, but it also happened in the very first FF game and it's four nameless generic 'Light Warriors', and also the original version of FFIII on the Japanese Famicom with it's 'Onion Kids' - the DS remake changed them into actual named characters with backstories however).

This is not like say a Bioware game where a certain amount of your character's backstory/past and even part of the main character's name is given to you by default; here everything is up to the player to create and decide on - the only backstory you're given is that you're a foreigner who has come to Eorzea inspired by the tales of the original Warriors of Light saving the world at the Battle of Carteneau to take up work as a new adventurer of one of the Eorzean citystates.

And if you're a player who created their character back in 1.0 and transferred them into ARR you've returned to Eorzea to pick up from where you left off; those lucky enough to have satisfied the requirements in 1.0 actually are one of the original Warriors of Light sent 5 years into the future by Louisoix - starting in 1.0 your character was likewise a new adventurer from another land who had originally arrived in Eorzea as part of the throng of sellswords and mercenaries drawn to Eorzea for the citystates' aborted defense plans of the realm against the Empire in the wake of Ala Mhigo's fall and the expected Garlean invasion of the realm proper.).

Everything else is left up to the player to decide on. And to be fair, I prefer this kind of storytelling in a MMO - one of the reasons I play FFXIV (and why I also started in FFXI nearly 15 years ago), was because I got to create my own FF character, with everything left up to me to decide on.

Vidu above summed it up best: "My character is mine. I get to tell her story."
    (5)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 02-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.