Player
    Character
    Florian Nozomu
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90

Trust system?

So I never played the previous FF online. I understand it will let us solo dungeons with npcs, but what exactly is the trust system? Like is it a thing where you have to get certain affinity with npcs then you can take them into dungeons? Or is it something else?
    (1)
    “Courage is the magic that turns dreams into a reality”

Player
    Character
    Wonder Noblesse
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    In FFXI:

-You obtain a "Cipher" through various means and trade it to an NPC that gives you the Trust spell for "X" character.
    -You cast the spell in the overworld/dungeons and the Trust appears to fight with you.
    -How many trusts you can summon at once are limited by your progress in one of the storylines.
    -Some NPCs have sidequests associated with them that unlock their trusts, while others are found throughout the main story.
    -Login campaigns give you free points to purchase other Ciphers for all trusts not included above.

In FFXIV:

-May or may not be limited to Shadowbringers story dungeons.
    -Will probably only be available within the dungeon.
    -Will probably follow you around similar to Squadron members, and attack on command.
    -Unlike FFXI you might not be able to be that creative with your trusts, since in FFXI many jobs could fill different roles, so you might be limited to selecting 1 tank, 2 dps, or 1 healer.
    -Trusts so far seem to be based off the Scions, but more might become available later through other means.
    -Will replace playing with other players if you choose, but you can still play through the dungeons with others if you wish.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Florian Nozomu
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by redcurrant18 View Post
    In FFXI:

-You obtain a "Cipher" through various means and trade it to an NPC that gives you the Trust spell for "X" character.
    -You cast the spell in the overworld/dungeons and the Trust appears to fight with you.
    -How many trusts you can summon at once are limited by your progress in one of the storylines.
    -Some NPCs have sidequests associated with them that unlock their trusts, while others are found throughout the main story.
    -Login campaigns give you free points to purchase other Ciphers for all trusts not included above.

In FFXIV:

-May or may not be limited to Shadowbringers story dungeons.
    -Will probably only be available within the dungeon.
    -Will probably follow you around similar to Squadron members, and attack on command.
    -Unlike FFXI you might not be able to be that creative with your trusts, since in FFXI many jobs could fill different roles, so you might be limited to selecting 1 tank, 2 dps, or 1 healer.
    -Trusts so far seem to be based off the Scions, but more might become available later through other means.
    -Will replace playing with other players if you choose, but you can still play through the dungeons with others if you wish.
    Ah. It’s something at least. Once you had given the Cipher to the person and obtained their spell, was it forever, or do you lose the spell after its cast and have to do it all over?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wonder Noblesse
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Once you've learned a Trust, you can cast it forever in that game. Each one technically still had a role like Tank/DPS/Healer, but in FFXI although some Trusts were the same jobs, they acted very different in battle. For example, you could unlock one White Mage trust that came equipped with a basic set of spells, and others that came equipped with more advanced magic. They function using a gambit system like in FFXII, but you can't edit their actions.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Florian Nozomu
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Once you've learned a Trust, you can cast it forever in that game. Each one technically still had a role like Tank/DPS/Healer, but in FFXI although some Trusts were the same jobs, they acted very different in battle. For example, you could unlock one White Mage trust that came equipped with a basic set of spells, and others that came equipped with more advanced magic. They function using a gambit system like in FFXII, but you can't edit their actions.
    Oooooooh! I really hope they keep the action editing. It would be awesome! Either way, thanks so much for the answers!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Altaris Sol
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 60
    I just hope that I can still use the trust system to complete an undersized party. Not just solo.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    I never played that late in FFXI's life, how were our chocobos in comparison to the Trust characters? Like were they of equal or similar strength, and could they be out at the same time, or were they much weaker? I'm hoping chocobo content greatly expands :3

Quote Originally Posted by AltarisSol View Post
    I just hope that I can still use the trust system to complete an undersized party. Not just solo.
    I think that's being considered by this response but maybe take it with some salt just in case lol:

USG: There are moments where people are waiting to start a dungeon and perhaps there aren't enough tanks or healers around. Has this system been made in response to those times you can't fill out an entire party?

NY: Yes, that's right. On top of that, however, perhaps once you've completed the main scenario content, you want to switch to a different class and run through some dungeons to level up. You can use the Trust system to aid in working on that new class, without having to wait.
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fin...r-trust-system
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shougun View Post
    I never played that late in FFXI's life, how were our chocobos in comparison to the Trust characters? Like were they of equal or similar strength, and could they be out at the same time, or were they much weaker? I'm hoping chocobo content greatly expands :3
    XI's trusts are way better than XIV chocobo companions. Some are as good as PCs. The vast majority of them have assigned jobs, and access to some subset of the actions available to a PC with that job. The better trusts can use all the spells and abilities that you would expect a competent PC to use as that job, so tank trusts can actually tank, healer trusts will Protectra and Shellra at the start of battle, support trusts will Refresh the mages or Haste the party/sing/whatever, DD trusts will close skillchains that you start. Some will even wait to see what weaponskill you like to use, then for the rest of the time they're out they'll use weaponskills that you can skillchain on.

The limiting factor in XI is unlocking those trusts that have all the actions and gambits that you are looking for. Some of them are only available during recurring event periods, so you could go 6 months to a year without being able to get one of the time sensitive trusts that you want.

Edit: oh, I think I misread your chocobo question? I don't know how trusts compare to chocobos (I didn't think we could summon chocobos to combat in XI?) Trusts in XI take up party slots, though. So you could summon 5 trusts if soloing, or your adventuring companion and 4 trusts, or you could party with two friends and summon 3 trusts.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rongway; 04-23-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Wubrant Drakesbane
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    XI's trusts are way better than XIV chocobo companions. Some are as good as PCs. The vast majority of them have assigned jobs, and access to some subset of the actions available to a PC with that job. The better trusts can use all the spells and abilities that you would expect a competent PC to use as that job, so tank trusts can actually tank, healer trusts will Protectra and Shellra at the start of battle, support trusts will Refresh the mages or Haste the party/sing/whatever, DD trusts will close skillchains that you start. Some will even wait to see what weaponskill you like to use, then for the rest of the time they're out they'll use weaponskills that you can skillchain on.

The limiting factor in XI is unlocking those trusts that have all the actions and gambits that you are looking for. Some of them are only available during recurring event periods, so you could go 6 months to a year without being able to get one of the time sensitive trusts that you want.

Edit: oh, I think I misread your chocobo question? I don't know how trusts compare to chocobos (I didn't think we could summon chocobos to combat in XI?) Trusts in XI take up party slots, though. So you could summon 5 trusts if soloing, or your adventuring companion and 4 trusts, or you could party with two friends and summon 3 trusts.
    You got me right, I meant in comparison to quality of feeling and usefulness. I really want to see chocobo content expand out so I was curious how they compared. The gambit idea into some chocobo job stuff could be fun lol. I wrote a lot on stuff like that (here), hoping they could be used in many cases as your very customize-able long term buddy.

I am curious how they're going to put trusts in this all, like if they'll replace squadrons in shadowbringer content or what - hopefully squadrons don't languish because of it. I was imagining that you'd get some tier system like:

Chocobo - customize-able, potentially equally powerful to the other systems but the time investment and progression would be sincere lol
    Squadron - easy to obtain, easy to upgrade, are okay
    Trust - very powerful with specific strengths and styles, perhaps limited in number of uses/time a day (because it's an important person, the lord of Ishgard should probably do some government work sometimes lol)
    Companion - (bringing back our 1.0 like concept companion), similar to chocobo but with a different progression path and more focused in talents (like your chocobo can be pretty great at all things given the long investment but a companion would be awesome at one thing and not at others, like a customize-able trust member).
    (1)
    Last edited by Shougun; 04-24-2019 at 02:27 AM.