Player
    Character
    Kaedan Burkhardt
    World
    Atomos
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterShield View Post

So... what does it mean to treat each other excellently? What is good? I believe that is a subjective answer and needs the offending "bad" behavior to be clearly defined. Only then can we be certain what is and is not allowed. Consequently, this is why having "morals" listed in a rule is also baffling to me. Who's morals? I'm certain that of all the people playing this game, many have differing morals.
    This is purposefully obtuse and antagonistic. You know very well the accepted morals of society and what is considered "good behavior". To pretend you don't is dishonest to say the least. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago there was significant enough of a difference of morals between cultures to warrant clarification, but that's no longer the case. We live in a global society where commonly respectful behavior is well known (at least between peoples with common language and communication).

There may be morally questionable yet culturally acceptable actions taken in some cultures, particularly in cultures that haven't evolved their understanding of women's rights, etc, but that has nothing to do with showing respect to other people (which those cultures are still capable of).
    (6)
    Last edited by Kaedan; 02-19-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lho Polaali
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 23
    So, to clarify. You are alleging that if one is not the target of toxic behavior... that one must be toxic them self? Did I understand that correctly?
    You did not. I recommend taking a breather and rereading some of the posts you reply to. You got the opposite of what was said.
    (3)
    Last edited by BillyKaplan; 02-19-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lalah Elakta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
    This is purposefully obtuse and antagonistic. You know very well the accepted morals of society and what is considered "good behavior". To pretend you don't is dishonest to say the least. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago there was significant enough of a difference of morals between cultures to warrant clarification, but that's no longer the case. We live in a global society where commonly respectful behavior is well known (at least between peoples with common language and communication).

There may be morally questionable yet culturally acceptable actions taken in some cultures, particularly in cultures that haven't evolved their understanding of women's rights, etc, but that has nothing to do with showing respect to other people (which those cultures are still capable of).
    So... in territories that "haven't evolved their understanding of women's rights" their actions are MORALLY acceptable... to them. How am I supposed to impose my morals on them? That's imperialism. IF they decide to align their morals with ours, that is their choice. I don't have to agree with someones morals for them to have morals. You are viewing the world through a black and white lens. You are also taking the position where you and yours have the most highly evolved understanding of right and wrong. Essentially you are saying that your society is the sole arbiter of what is and is not correct. That is the height of arrogance.

Also no, I'm not being antagonistic, you are taking what I am saying as antagonistic because I have a different view of the world than you, and you dislike that. Hence your dismissive and frankly insulting post. The short form of your post reads as follows: If someone is different than you... they are wrong.

This game is played by many people who have differing cultures and languages, why are people not acknowledging this?

re·spect
    Dictionary result for respect
    /rəˈspekt/
    noun
    noun: respect; plural noun: respects

a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    "the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"
    synonyms: esteem, regard, high regard, high opinion, acclaim, admiration, approbation, approval, appreciation, estimation, favor, popularity, recognition, veneration, awe, reverence, deference, honor, praise, homage
    "the respect due to a great artist"
    antonyms: contempt
    the state of being admired or respected.
    "his first chance in over fifteen years to regain respect in the business"
    a person's polite greetings.
    "give my respects to your parents"
    due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others.
    "young people's lack of respect for their parents"
    synonyms: due regard, consideration, thoughtfulness, attentiveness, politeness, courtesy, civility, deference
    "he speaks to the old lady with respect"

I would argue that your post lacks respect.
    (5)
    Last edited by WaterShield; 02-19-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kaedan Burkhardt
    World
    Atomos
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    So... in territories that "haven't evolved their understanding of women's rights" their actions are MORALLY acceptable... to them.
    Those actions, yes. But please re-read my post, as you seem to have missed the important part of it. Even in those few countries with highly questionable actions that are accepted, they still understand and practice globally recognized morals and respect for other people. There exists no country or culture that doesn't have the bare minimum understanding of common decency and morals (except perhaps a very few native populations that don't have contact with the rest of the world).

How am I supposed to impose my morals on them?
    That's a conversation for another topic, as there is a such thing as objective morality.

IF they decide to align their morals with ours
    They do, at least in the context of what is being discussed in this thread.

Also no, I'm not being antagonistic, you are taking what I am saying as antagonistic because I have a different view of the world than you, and you dislike that.
    Nope, not at all. You are being antagonistic, since you know very well the accepted morals of society and what is considered "good behavior". As I said, you are pretending you don't, which is dishonest. Your reply alone proves you know, yet you continue to create non-related arguments to conversations that don't even have any place here.

This game is played by many people who have differing cultures and languages, why are people not acknowledging this?
    "People" are well aware of that. We are all quite well aware that there are other cultures with different values. But what you are purposefully ignoring is that there is a "base level" of common decency and respect that ALL CULTURES practice.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Rabbit Ackerman
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post

The thing is I'm pretty sure my morals are superior to your own. I'm also sure many things you consider to be moral obligations are immoral in my views, and vice versa, and that those views are also superior to your own.

I've learned my morals through society as well as through critical thinking. I've weighed the consequences of what I determine to be moral, and have come to the conclusion that they strongly promote world peace, general prosperity, and happiness for all. I'm also predicting that your own morals likely would contribute to widespread misery and poverty.

Many, like yourself, would not agree with me I'm sure, however I have encountered many who share my values, and many others who wind up there after some time.

My point in all this is that you speak of society as if it's automatically on your side, and I strongly express my doubts.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Nagini Kagon
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Ill be nice kind 2 players.. key word is PLAYERS.. but as far as im concerned you devs and yoshi do not Desever kindness for how bad you insult the ff series with how the design is in this obe
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaedan Burkhardt
    World
    Atomos
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyt View Post
    The thing is I'm pretty sure my morals are superior to your own. I'm also sure many things you consider to be moral obligations are immoral in my views, and vice versa, and that those views are also superior to your own.

I've learned my morals through society as well as through critical thinking. I've weighed the consequences of what I determine to be moral, and have come to the conclusion that they strongly promote world peace, general prosperity, and happiness for all. I'm also predicting that your own morals likely would contribute to widespread misery and poverty.

Many, like yourself, would not agree with me I'm sure, however I have encountered many who share my values, and many others who wind up there after some time.

My point in all this is that you speak of society as if it's automatically on your side, and I strongly express my doubts.
    I can assure you you're doubts are misplaced, but if you'd like to talk specifics, that would make for good conversation. Otherwise it's just posturing.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Leon Reddas
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 77
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbolvampireQueen6 View Post
    Ill be nice kind 2 players.. key word is PLAYERS.. but as far as im concerned you devs and yoshi do not Desever kindness for how bad you insult the ff series with how the design is in this obe
    Yet you pay subscription to play their game, I mean you shouldn't play something you don't like. I thought the XIII battle system was a hot mess to what is usually seen in previous FF, but I bear no ill will to any of the devs behind it. Good people treat anyone with kindness regardless of whether they like them or not, some food for thought there for you to consider.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Fisher King
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 79
    I've seen several posts state similar thoughts throughout the thread. It appears as though my opinion is being rejected unilaterally, as I am being told more or less that I am only worried about this due to being toxic myself.
    I call that a pattern and there is a reason for your observation. Be ye toxic or not, you are not required to assume you fit into my claims. I am being general for a reason, feel free to exclude yourself. It's just, like, my opinion man.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Soma Kagami
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyce View Post
    Finally,Look who's speaking. You've done nothing but belittling people's opinion, brushing off their comments and be borderline insulting simply because it didn't align with your views in the last few pages. Others even pointed at the irony of it.
    Don't ask people to be interacting in a civil manner if all you can do is have such a dismissive behavior.

Like it or not, there are objective and legitimate reasons for people to be worried. Nothing you can say will change that.

(Edit: Oh and, before you tell me that I'm dismissive of your opinion... You'd be right, I dismiss it. However, not because I disagree with you, which is what you did, but simply because it's objectively useless. You are not Square Enix. And we want an answer from them, not from you or anyone else.)
    If you were paying attention towards the conversation between Watershield and I, as well as Feyt, you'd actually notice that it was civilized and an exchange of views. There was nothing belittling about it, but you only want to see what you wish to see as long as it aligns with your own due to misguided anger. What you're doing now is also counterproductive and doing EXACTLY what you lecture others on about.

Don't try to take the higher moral ground if you're just going to do EXACTLY what you don't like others doing to yourself apparently. It's not hard to act civilized and telling others to calm down or that you don't agree with their stance isn't belittling. No one ever said that you weren't important and too many people are swinging that word around like candy. Disagreements happen since not everyone is going to accept the same thing. You're just quick to anger because you feel that no one is taking your fears seriously and you'd be right in that sense. Some people aren't because we've been following the previous vague rules for years and nothing happened to us. I've played XIV for 7 years, nothing has happened in those 7 years, and I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen for the next several years. Some of us don't have to take your fears seriously because we feel there's not enough substantial evidence to back up that overly alarmed behavior. I know change scares a lot of people and some are resilient towards it, but at some point, you're going to have to accept it because you can't control how things are changed nor is anyone in a position to fix it themselves.

And, if you can't accept other people having differing points of views in a civilized manner or them telling you to calm down your behavior because those other people find it to be hostile or exaggerating the issue without going on a hypocritical tangent where you're belittling and dismissing other people's opinions outright completely, not because you don't agree with them, but because you think they're useless; then, yes, I think you have a lot to worry about how you may come across in accordance with the new rules if this is the way you act in-game towards other people that may not share the same voice that you do because they're not SE. Two wrongs don't make a right. There's nothing wrong with dismissing an opinion that you don't agree with, that's fine so long as you're not saying so because they're stupid or something as that would never be acceptable, but calling it objectively useless because it's not what you want to hear is flat-out childish behavior and that is actually belittling because you're devaluing it and the person instead of simply saying "I just don't agree with it". There's nothing belittling about a person not agreeing with what you think or say; they simply just don't agree with you, that's it. I think I would have preferred you just dismissing it because you don't agree with it honestly, since I can't force you to see the other side and sometimes, you can't just convince people, it happens. There's no ideal or perfect world where we agree on everything and we shouldn't expect one honestly, it's not how ideas or debate happens where new perspectives are made.

If you wanted an answer from SE, then perhaps you should send them an in-game help message directly to the GM's instead of relying on the forums where you'll get complete strangers answering you first before they will. You may be waiting a long time for that.

And on another off-note, you constantly putting "nice people" inside of quotation marks makes me questionably think that you have issues with actually being nice inside the game. No one who's actually nice would use the term this way unless they have some kind of behavior to hide.
    (3)
    Last edited by Sigma-Astra; 02-20-2019 at 02:33 AM.

Page 95 of 100 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast