Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    • ...Did Urianger just call Y'shtola "Matoya?"
    I think that exchange, the "What sayest thou, Master Matoya? We can accept our fate, or defy it, but we cannot deny it" is him basically going "What is it Master Matoya would/might say in situations like this?" and then referencing one such a Matoya-ism, to which Y'shtola responds.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Alexius Scott
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei_Tsunarashi View Post
    I'm curious what you guys think about the gunbreaker trailer. Is that thanalan ? That bridge looks like the one in central thanalan but if that's thanalan why is there a giant armadillo thing there. Also theres a giant crystal in the background.
    It's Amh Aereng (or however you spell it), one of the new zones.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kharagan Dotharl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos View Post
    I think that exchange, the "What sayest thou, Master Matoya? We can accept our fate, or defy it, but we cannot deny it" is him basically going "What is it Master Matoya would/might say in situations like this?" and then referencing one such a Matoya-ism, to which Y'shtola responds.
    That makes a lot of sense, actually. Urianger's antiquate speech once again confusing me.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    (cross-posting to reply to this in both places)

I disagree. He's speaking directly to her, asking "what do you say?" - most likely referring to the prediction told by the fortune-telling cards he's holding up. (Lorebook 1, p.244 - a three-card spread is a common method of reading a person's fate.)

It doesn't particularly sound like something Matoya would say, and he hasn't been associated with her before (although it's possible he does know her). If anyone was going to 'quote' Matoya, I would expect it to be Y'shtola herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayve View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, actually. Urianger's antiquate speech once again confusing me.
    "What sayest thou?" = "What say you?" = "What do you say?"

I learned German at school, which has similar grammar to this slightly archaic English, so I think that helps. Unlike modern English, the verb is always the second word in the sentence, rather than always following the subject, and everything else fits in around it.

Verbs take on different endings depending on the subject. [I] ____, [you] ____st, [he/she] ____t, [they] ____en. I think the pattern is the same here.

And "thou" simply means "you" - but where we can use "you" to mean a single person or a group, originally "thou" was for addressing a single person and "you" (or "ye") was only for a group.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    (cross-posting to reply to this in both places)

I disagree. He's speaking directly to her, asking "what do you say?" - most likely referring to the prediction told by the fortune-telling cards he's holding up. (Lorebook 1, p.244 - a three-card spread is a common method of reading a person's fate.)

It doesn't particularly sound like something Matoya would say, and he hasn't been associated with her before (although it's possible he does know her). If anyone was going to 'quote' Matoya, I would expect it to be Y'shtola herself.
    I think it sounds like exactly the kind of thing Matoya would say (a bit more politely than she might actually say it, to be fair), and there's little chance he didn't associate with her or wasn't taught by her at one point or another back when studying to become an Archon.

As for speaking directly to her (Matoya)? It wouldn't be the first time he's directly addressed an individual who was actually absent. Wouldn't even be the second. He did so with Moenbryda, then again toward Minfilia.

There's also the narrative element of Matoya deciding to possess her body, which feels very much out of left field for her, based on what we've seen of the character. Also, body swapping has generally required either being Resonant or the Echo - neither Y'shtola nor Matoya are gifted with the latter, and I don't see Matoya going through the process to attain the former within the space of the next MSQ patch.

It's certainly not impossible that it ends up playing out that way, but it feels like it's the least likely to occur.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    There's also the narrative element of Matoya deciding to possess her body, which feels very much out of left field for her, based on what we've seen of the character.
    This is still very much an assumption.

For some reason he's addressing Y'shtola as "Matoya", that's all we know for sure.

EDIT: Or can't even be sure of that.

Additionally, even if he's "talked to someone who's absent" before, I still don't think he would walk up to someone and speak directly 'to' them but direct his words to someone else entirely, who isn't even there.

(But I've now run out of post allowances so I'm out of this until tomorrow.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Iscah; 02-03-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    This is still very much an assumption.

For some reason he's addressing Y'shtola as "Matoya", that's all we know for sure.
    We don't even know that for sure, do we?

There's an even chance he's talking directly to the person in front of him and calling her Matoya (and if this is the case, possession is the least likely reason for it, based on what they've been hinting at), or that he's directly talking to Matoya as if she were there (not an unusual thing for him to do) while musing to himself and the person in front of him chooses to respond.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Zuzu Belloq
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 80
    Cross refferences with the text in another languages and we might get more out of Urianger and Matoya's dialog really.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    W'fharl Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    The lower half of the face on our new masked guy definitely belongs to a male Miqo'te. Absolutely no question on that. As for who, well...

Call me crazy (or just call me Fenral) but the mouth, nose, and chin are a match for G'raha Tia, and the crystalline scarring is almost certainly to conceal his neck tattoo. The outfit is even still red, possibly as an allusion to his original color scheme.

But hells if I know why. I'm just calling it as I see it.
    (6)
    Last edited by Fenral; 02-03-2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Player
    Character
    Trpimir Ratyasch
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Much stuff!

VIII-style Gunblade tank Job! If any game in the franchise has felt underrepresented to me so far it's definitely VIII, so I'm glad its gunblades are the style we're using.

Urianger and Y'shtola switching to AST and BLM, respectively! If I were to wager a guess "Master Matoya" is a Sharlayan title and the one we know now either relinquished or bequeathed it to Y'shtola.

Little Girl is Minfilia! Time travel? Consequence of "absorbing Light?"

Still no clue on what makes everything go to shit.

Nier Automata raid?! What the... flippin'...? Guess I'll need to redownload it and play past the first ending... if I can ever get off my arse and get through KHIII...

... and now everyone gets their long-desired bunny girl waifus. Happy?!
    (4)
    Trpimir Ratyasch's Way Status (6.55 - End)
    [ ]LOST [ ]NOT LOST [X] PvPING FOR SWAG
    "There is no hope in stubbornly clinging to the past. It is our duty to face the future and march onward, not retreat inward." -Sovetsky Soyuz, Azur Lane: Snowrealm Peregrination

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast