Player
    Character
    Sailla Calgina
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60

Unexpected error crash

My Final Fantasy XIV has been crashing repeatedly since a fresh installation on my new computer. When I attempted to launch it, it suddenly closed out on two occasions of attempting to do so, then on a third attempt I got this:

Quote Originally Posted by FINAL FANTASY XIV
    An unexpected error has occurred. Exiting FINAL FANTASY XIV.
    2018-12-25_02:25

ffxiv_dx11.exe + 31AB17
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 319B73
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 318C46
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 317F96
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 367A9D
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 17AFB0
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 179828
    ffxiv_dx11.exe + 19E1B2
    ...in an error box that I had only the option of clicking "OK". As the error dictated, the software suddenly closed out. I'm not sure what's causing it, as it ran fine previously today, but when I came home from work and started up my computer from hybernation, it had these issues. The problem seems to occur very quickly into FFXIV being launched, the third one lasting the longest. I may have potentially accidentally hit the OK via keyboard shortcut in the previous two instances, but I do not believe I have done so. I'm running Win10 (64 bit) which, to my understanding is up to date.
    (0)

Good morning and thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.

You mentioned this is a new PC, correct? Double-check that you have all of the 'Optional' and 'Recommended' updates for Windows 10 installed. These may not be installed even if it says it's up to date.

When does this happen? Is it when you first log into the game or while you are playing?

Can you submit a Final Fantasy XIV system report? Simply go to the 'Config' option on the Final Fantasy XIV launcher and to the right of 'System Information' click on 'Display.'

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sailla Calgina
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60

Successful!

Oh, thank you. It turns out I didn't have all the updates for Windows 10 installed. I went ahead and did that, and it made it work! So you better know what was happening, though, after logging into the character fully and being in a game session, the game would crash within several minutes (less than 15 minutes, seemingly consistently) with no apparent pattern further than that my character was in use of a game play session each time it happened.
    It occurred in the housing area both outdoors and indoors to a home belonging to the Free Company my character is a part of. The used character was Sailla Calgina during each incident, as it didn't occur to me at the time to switch servers to test if it was happening with other characters, or just isolated to her. In all instances a PS4 controller was connected to the computer and in use for controlling the character, which is also true when I tested it to see if it was working after installing the update.

Did you still need the system report from the incident even though the problem had been successfully fixed? I didn't immediately paste it here because it seemed to go on for a long length, and I wasn't sure whether you wanted it still.
    (0)

Thank you for the update Cryognosis.

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. I'm assuming the game would use one of the updates or features that wasn't downloaded before (even if it's not required for Windows to operate). I don't need the system report as I requested that to try and diagnose the issue. It seems you were able to fix it without it.

This thread will be moved to the 'Support Center Resolved' subforum as the issue has been resolved.

Thank you for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.
    (0)