Player
    Character
    Firago Contrail
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 88

A little dragon as a new combat companion

Hello fellow WoLs! Another suggestion thread incoming and I'll admit this one may be a bit far fetched. It's still not going to stop me from suggesting it!

In FFXI Dragoon was a semi pet job since they had a little "wyvern" that fought alongside them. The way it fought depended on your chosen support job. If it was a melee dps then your wyvern would use an elemental breath attack when you used a weaponskill, sort of like a mini black mage. If you used a mage job is would use a healing breath on a low HP party member or an esuna breath if needed whenever you cast a spell.

While I'm okay with Dragoons no longer having a pet in XIV I've always felt that it's been a missed opportunity that SE never implemented a mini dragon companion that could be used by all classes back in HW. While I know chocobo companions don't see much use I can see SE eventually letting us use companions in Eureka when it inevitably dies out once Shadowbringers hits. Maybe let us use companions in squadron missions. Wouldn't it be neat to be able to use a mini dragon companion that fights instead if you wanted? It would be another option for a companion.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too high but here's how I think it could work:

You unlock your new companion through a quest where you find a dragon child or egg next to its dying parent. The dying dragon tells you that they wish for their child to grow up fighting alongside mortals like the old days and to travel the world and to grow strong. A npc named Rahal (in name only, not the XI Rahal) accompanies you and would agree that the wish would definitely come true should the child dragon join you. At this point you can agree to adopt the child dragon and name it.

You would summon the little guy by using a certain piece of meat like how you summon your chocobo with gysahl greens. It would function and rank up similarly to a chocobo.

I don't see a baby dragon being capable of tanking so how about a support role that will buff the party? The possibilities are endless on this one.

Here are some example skills I can think of besides +HP and +Stat traits:

DPS: Elemental Breath*, Toxic Spit (DoT), Startling Rawr (Stun/Silence)

Healer: Healing Breath, Draconic Shield (Adloquium), Holy Crest (Succor)

Support: Determination Rawr, Haste Rawr, Sleepy Yawn (Sleeps an extra enemy you may have aggroed)

*Since there are no elemental weaknesses Elemental Breath will cause unaspected damage regardless of the element used. Randomizes the element for flavor.

Of course there are considerations regarding leveling speed while lacking a stable. Maybe Rahal can be spoken to and he would provide features that a stable would: rename, feed, train, etc.

Color: Starts out blue colored but can be changed by feeding the dragon certain things. This shouldn't be as convoluted as coloring a chocobo since this isn't a mount.

Dragon's dialog: Maybe the child dragon would have an energetic personality like he wants to go fight and that he enjoys fighting with you. Maybe the dragon wants to grow up to be just like you!

Again not getting my hopes up too high. (Okay maybe I am.) but it's fun to come up with ideas like this. What are your thoughts and what skills can you come up with?

TL;DR: I'm not asking for DRGs to get their wyverns back like in XI. I'm saying it would be neat to have the option for all jobs to use a mini dragon companion instead of a chocobo. I speculate that SE will expand upon the companion system.
    (5)
    Last edited by Firago; 01-13-2019 at 06:33 AM.