Player
    Character
    Probably Shib
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80

Housing glitch, railing thickness

When submitting a bug report, please use the below template and thoroughly fill out the necessary information.

Date & Time: Jan 5, 2019 21:44
    Frequency: Always
    World name: Midgardsormr
    Character name: Pyro Elf
    Area and coordinates: Any mist medium bottom floor, Private House - Mist ( 6.1 , 5.9 ) ( 6.0 , 6.2 )
    Housing: Mists Medium, can see it at Plot 7 Ward 3
    Steps:
    1. Look at Railing on north wall
    2. Look at railing on south wall
    3. Realize south wall's is twice as thick ;;

This actually throws off the placement of certain items, even the floor and wall texture

Those are placed in the 'centers' using snapgrid

Edit: It also effects all floors actually. On some windows they are flush with the rail, on others they hang off it.
    (1)
    Last edited by PyroElf; 01-06-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    (Not an official response!)

I've looked at your screenshots, and looked at my FC's medium house in Mist, and I can't figure out what you're actually saying the problem is.

The railings look the same to me. They're going to be the same model copy-pasted around the room. It looks like a camera angle issue rather than one that's actually there. (With a possible side of character height/viewpoint - my short Midlander is going to be seeing it from a lower, more "2D" angle, and I think from your screenshots the wood strip might stick out with a sloping 'right-angled triangle' shape.)

It's also worth noticing that there are two alternating types of pillars along the walls: the bulky white ones and the smaller wooden ones like in your screenshot. They're different thicknesses and a symmetrical wallpaper image is probably always going to look off-centre as a result.

And if the horizontal wood strip is wider on one side than the other (as I *think* you're implying), what does that have to do with whether the towel rail will align with the vertical panelling?

Also I don't understand what your screenshot of the floor is supposed to show. Your rug isn't lined up with your tiles? That's not an issue related to the housing fixtures, that's entirely to do with your furniture placement and under your control, not the game programmers.

In any case you can't rely on the grid snap to get things perfect - it's designed to line your furniture up with your other furniture, not to perfectly fit every pattern of tiles or wallpaper. It's good for things like getting a vase in the centre of a table or lining up a row of partitions to make a wall without any gaps, but for subtle adjustments you'll need to turn it off and do it yourself.

Also I don't understand your last sentence at all. Floors? Windows? What are "they" and what are they hanging off?
    (0)
    Last edited by Iscah; 01-07-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sinthrisa D'lytte
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    I figure I would chime in since I am the one who found this issue but didnt have a profile here to post about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    The railings look the same to me.
    The "chair-rail" on the south wall is twice the thickness of the same rail on the north wall.

They're going to be the same model copy-pasted around the room.
    Not entirely true. If you have done any type of mapping for video games, you would know that the chair railing isnt actually attached to the wall itself. it is just floating at a fixed point. this is to reduce the number of polygons in the house. same for the pillars. they arent actually attached to the walls. chances are, the walls are slightly off. the distance between the walls are correct, but they are offset by a small amount.

It looks like a camera angle issue rather than one that's actually there.
    It is most definately not a camera issue. It is very noticable on walls with windows. On some walls, the trim sticks out farther than the windows, on other walls, the windows stick out farther.

It's also worth noticing that there are two alternating types of pillars along the walls
    The issues displayed here have absolutely nothing to do with said pillars.

what does that have to do with whether the towel rail will align with the vertical panelling?
    Because the walls are offset. Thus making the snap-grid not line up properly with the floor and wall textures. That is why the east/west walls dont line up with the snap-grid.

Also I don't understand what your screenshot of the floor is supposed to show.
    Same thing applies to the floor. It is offset slightly, the same as the walls. Easiest way to see this is by using a floor with a tiled texture. The snap-grid is supposed to line up with certain lines on the floor. But it does not.

it's designed to line your furniture up with your other furniture
    I am not sure where you are pulling this from but you are completely incorrect. The snap-grid doesnt help you line things up with other furniture. It helps you line things up on...... THE GRID.

And as a side-effect of this issue, you can get things closer to northern walls than you can southern walls.

also also, ceiling lights are not center to the joists. again, offset slightly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Probably Shib
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Look at the railing on the wall, it is twice as thick on one side than the other. It isn't down to one machine either- I checked on all my laptops, my desktop, even my PS4 and it shows the same.
    It's like one side they accidentally fudged a number to where it doubled the thickness rather than keep it uniform and it shows on all floors in any mist medium I enter- I don't see it in my friend's goblet or lavender bed's medium, just mist.
    It is clearly shown that way in the red circle in the pictures.

Also as someone mentioned, snap grid is just that, it snaps to the HOUSING grid, meaning furnishing would have 0 impact on that but rather how they offset the grid layout itself- this is so things can be "properly lined up"
    The description itself even reads "Toggle grid snap on/off"

The stuff being complained about is something that would be noticed if you are picky as hell on this sort of thing, and having had all 3 types of mediums I notice it more with mist than the other two. It's just simply the house on grid mappings are slightly off and distorted.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I've had a second look in-game and yes, somehow I failed to see the different width of the chair rails last night.

However, I don't think the issue is quite what you think it is, or at least my understanding of what you said it is.

You said the south wall rail is twice as thick as the north wall, but that's not the only variation.

Comparing the chair rail on a partition set at a right-angle to the wall, and if we can assume the rail on the free-standing partition is the "correct" width... the north side is too thin, as well as the south side being too fat.

Without having actually measured them, I would guess that the width of the north and south rails added together is equal to the width of two normal rails.

Quote Originally Posted by SinthrisaDlytte View Post
    I am not sure where you are pulling this from but you are completely incorrect. The snap-grid doesnt help you line things up with other furniture. It helps you line things up on...... THE GRID.
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroElf View Post
    Also as someone mentioned, snap grid is just that, it snaps to the HOUSING grid, meaning furnishing would have 0 impact on that but rather how they offset the grid layout itself- this is so things can be "properly lined up"
    The description itself even reads "Toggle grid snap on/off"
    I didn't say it doesn't align to the "housing grid" (not that the description calls it that, so I'm not sure why you're holding it up like I missed something obvious).

I meant that there is no guarantee that every wallpaper and tile design will correspond with the width of the grid and thus line up perfectly. At least that's been my experience. Am I incorrect for assuming the grid is off, rather than the actual walls of the house?

And I still don't understand exactly what you're doing with those towel rails. A wider screenshot that shows the pillars would be more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroElf View Post
    Edit: It also effects all floors actually. On some windows they are flush with the rail, on others they hang off it.
    I also still have no idea what this is talking about. What are "they" and what are they hanging off?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sinthrisa D'lytte
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    it is extremely difficult to explain what is going on in a sense that people can understand when knowledge of the ways 3d modeling and mapping is done. i will try though.

the walls of the house. the actual walls of the house are made up of several different things that are not actually the same model and are not actually attached/connected to one another. the pillars, the chair-rail trim, the floor trim, the ceiling trim (which i didnt notice until just now, but its offset as well), windows, doors, etc. all of those things are free-floating "props" that are not connected to the actual "wall". the actual "wall" is just the flat surface that holds the wallpaper texture. all that stuff i said a second ago is not actually the wall.

the problem seems to be the following: all the props are placed properly. but the flat surface that holds the wallpaper, is offset slightly north-south. that is why you get exactly the same missing from the north and exactly the same extra on the south of all the "props" i talked about earlier.

the props are where they need to be. the wall surfaces are not.

now (sorry if this is long winded) the snap-grid is also where it needs to be. AKA: lined up with the "props". BUT since the walls are offset, when placing items on the east/west walls, the snapgrid looks offset as well. but its not actually the snap-grid. its the wall and the texture on the wall.

the exact same thing is happening on the floor. which i assume is because the floor surface that holds the floor texture is connected to the wall surfaces that hold the wall texture. and they are all offset south slightly. that is why you dont get the floor snap-grid lining up with the floor texture as well.

i really am trying to explain it as simple as possible. this IS a problem, but a minor one that can be fixed by adjusting the texture surfaces ever so slightly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Probably Shib
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Shiro has the same problem, but if you use snapgrid in each of the medium houses you can see where snapgrid is off-centered

(0)

Player
    Character
    Sinthrisa D'lytte
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    just to reiterate: its not the grid that is off. the grid, chair-rails, floor trim, ceiling trim, etc are all lined up. the texture surfaces are what is offset.
    (0)