Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player

Well well, looks like those lore panels answered the two biggest things that were nagging at me the most as far as Au Ra were concerned. And I very curious to see if we'll see different scaled Auri when we reach that point in the story - even better if it becomes an option for players. Fingers crossed on that.

The concept of hearing things/processing sound differently is an odd concept to me. I wouldn't even know how other creatures would process sound differently from us. That answer in that lore panel just sort of...expanded my original question to something else entirely now.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Galqar Haragin
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    My headcanon for my Xaela is that he became a goldsmith because he already had to retrofit all of his earrings. He attaches them to a piece of wire that loops around the base of his horns.

My question is how Au Ra use linkpearls, which seem to go inside your ear.

Also, do Au Ra ever run into problems when kissing? I feel like you run the risk of getting horn locked, or putting someone's eye out.
    (3)
    Last edited by Rosenoire; 12-29-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Fanfest Lore Panel
    Fernehalwes: Now if they're damaged, whether it be a fall or in battle (if an axe takes half of it off) then the horns will slowly regrow until they reach that maximum point again.
    That sounds.... biologically improbable.

It's a fantasy game, don't think too hard about it. It's a fantasy game, don't think too hard about it....
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by 2018 Fanfest Lore Panel
    Q: Will there be any sort of canon confirmation regarding the existence of the player races’ other clans? Could there feasibly be Lowlander Hyurs, coastland-dwelling Elezen or gold-scaled Au Ra, for instance?

MCKF: Yes, of course. When the game launched the focus was on Eorzea and we told you all about the different clans that were in Eorzea. As we’re now expanding out over into the East, we have Ilsabard and Othard, we have all these different places where we’re encountering new clans of the same Hyur or Elezen race. So the Hyur that you see in Hingashi, these are neither Midlanders nor Highlanders, they’re an Eastern clan of Hyur. So of course there’ll be a lot more and we have plans in the future of introducing these clans that don’t fit in that two-clan system you have in Eorzea.
    Note that there is nothing in the answer specifically confirming the existence of "gold-scaled Au Ra", or any other colour. He's just saying yes to the general concept of there being clans outside the official ones listed in the character creator.

It's also worth keeping in mind that you will get potentially very different answers depending on whether you ask the lore team or the character design team. As you can see here, the answer is yes, there are more than the two clans, and they're already in the game! Far Eastern Hyurs aren't from the Eorzean clans of Midlanders and Highlanders, and Ishgardians are not Wildwood Elezen. This is entirely correct from a lore standpoint, and yet it has no bearing on the fact that those races are represented using Midlander and Wildwood NPC models.

There's every chance that the "new clans" we meet in future will likewise use the models of existing clans, with only the script and setting to indicate that they are something else.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Toki Tsuchimi
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscah View Post
    That sounds.... biologically improbable.
    It's not. For certain injuries the body's natural response to to return itself to a sorta status quo. Whether that's altering the body in some way, like after a limb is lost, or something removed, or returning it to the way it once was. Age also plays a factor as the younger someone is the easier it is to "heal" from certain things. I sliced off the tip of my finger when I was young, and it grew back.

Next is a generic response to the thread

As for the whole horns and scale debacle. Just remember this, nothing about the Au ra is foreign to a human in the real world, unlike a Miqo'te. The horns are the exact same as our ears. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, other animals, that don't appear to have "ears" hear through the vibration of a bone. We are no exception; the eardrum is a thin membrane that filters vibration through a bone. Though calling Au ra horns a bone might be a bit of a stretch, they seem to act more like a form of teeth or cartilage, which are bone adjacent.

As for the scales, calling them scales isn't inaccurate, but simply referring to them as skin would be fine as well. Skin is designed to be different depending on what area of the body it covers. Au ra scales are just a more "intense" example. A good portion of people in the real world have "scales" though since this isn't the "norm" we try to remove and prevent them.
    (0)
    Last edited by Eloah; 12-29-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Player
    Character
    Lyssia Lunar
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    I like the idea of some crazy, good-intentions scientist coming up with a prosthetic for those Auri who lose a horn in battle, if they don't grow back. Just like we have hearing aids, though that isn't quite the same thing.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sanna Rosewood
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenoire View Post
    My headcanon for my Xaela is that he became a goldsmith because he already had to retrofit all of his earrings. He attaches them to a piece of wire that loops around the base of his horns.

My question is how Au Ra use linkpearls, which seem to go inside your ear.

Also, do Au Ra ever run into problems when kissing? I feel like you run the risk of getting horn locked, or putting someone's eye out.
    I would think some of this does happen with some of the horn combinations. Maybe that's why Magnai and Sadu don't like each other, because of the fear horns locking together or eye poking.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kharagal Mierqid
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    For an even more pervasive problem, how do Au Ra sleep? A lot of their horn set-ups would make sleeping on their sides all but impossible. Several of them would make sleeping on the stomach not fun and one of the female horns would make sleeping on your back very uncomfortable. The same thing would probably go for hugs and just about any kind of close body contact.

The counter to this is that Au Ra have grown up with this problem and probably thing it's really weird that other races never have to think about this...
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Galqar Haragin
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianFire View Post
    For an even more pervasive problem, how do Au Ra sleep? A lot of their horn set-ups would make sleeping on their sides all but impossible. Several of them would make sleeping on the stomach not fun and one of the female horns would make sleeping on your back very uncomfortable. The same thing would probably go for hugs and just about any kind of close body contact.

The counter to this is that Au Ra have grown up with this problem and probably thing it's really weird that other races never have to think about this...
    More headcanon: I imagine that Au Ra traditionally use neck pillows or headrests like the ancient Egyptians used. Still, I'd imagine you'd have to be careful because an Au Ra having nightmares and flailing could be very hazardous.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Prince Nuada
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenoire View Post
    More headcanon: I imagine that Au Ra traditionally use neck pillows or headrests like the ancient Egyptians used. Still, I'd imagine you'd have to be careful because an Au Ra having nightmares and flailing could be very hazardous.
    ...Or could it just be that the the Au Ra are so epic, they don't need sleep?
    (0)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast