Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyth View Post
    There's a lot of that already, if you look at the lore. Nymian scholars use a lot of abilities that are based on poison and miasma. Everyone knows that those Tonberries can hold a grudge. Likewise, the Amdapoori White Mages "won" the War of the Magi by flooding the world, ushering in the Sixth Umbral Calamity. Who ever told you that light is good?
    The Amdapori didn't deliberately cause the flood, or cast it like a spell - it was a Calamity brought about by both Amdapor and Mhach overusing the land's aether and disrupting the elemental balance.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Transient_Shadow View Post
    Not sure why you took the effort to look through my post history. I'm also not sure how this invalidates the topic. A little variety and spice is always worth chatting about.
    It wasn't a matter of taking the effort to look through your post history, I just remembered you posting about this because you've posted about it before. It stuck in my head for whatever reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, I think it's pretty unlikely that we're going to get an "edgy" or dark healer. The healing role implies a care for others than yourself, which is at direct opposition to how edgy or dark normally gets written.
    (0)
    Last edited by Elamys; 12-31-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Player
    Character
    Kalise Relanah
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    Anyways, I think it's pretty unlikely that we're going to get an "edgy" or dark healer. The healing role implies a care for others than yourself, which is at direct opposition to how edgy or dark normally gets written.
    Same could be said about the Tank role. Heck, a large portion of the Warrior story is literally about how your will to keep your allies safe from harm >>>>>> Your Inner Beast.

Yet we still have Dork Knight, who's pretty darn edgy.

Not to mention, classes like Black Mage and Summoner who wield terrifying magics that were forbidden because of how corrupted people who used them were... Whom are using the magics to fight for good and justice and trying to stop others who may try to abuse the same power.

So, there's no reason why we couldn't have a class that uses dark powers, to heal and protect their allies, given we literally already have one that does that sans healing >.>
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Leezil Paige
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    This idea has probably been brought up here already but I love the idea of a necromancy-type healer!
    (2)
    Looking for RP on the First!

Player
    Character
    Flutter Butter
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonous View Post
    This idea has probably been brought up here already but I love the idea of a necromancy-type healer!
    That was one of my initial suggestions but the HW whm quest-line brought that to a screeching halt. Necromancy uses Corrupted (over aspected and unbalanced) Aether. This is not only masivly destructive to the flesh but also to the very soul. The only creatures that can ingest corrupted Aether safely are Primals and likely some void sent.

It taints the land around it and the elementals legitimately fear it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Carlo Vinne
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    That was one of my initial suggestions but the HW whm quest-line brought that to a screeching halt. Necromancy uses Corrupted (over aspected and unbalanced) Aether. This is not only masivly destructive to the flesh but also to the very soul. The only creatures that can ingest corrupted Aether safely are Primals and likely some void sent.

It taints the land around it and the elementals legitimately fear it.
    Yeah, and then there's those Dark Knights. Can't trust them, they're heretics practicing black magic!

... Snarking aside, you could always write in a "Everyone just does it the evil way. There's a less potent, but mostly safe way of necromancing I can teach you" retcon.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Flutter Butter
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekimmak View Post
    Yeah, and then there's those Dark Knights. Can't trust them, they're heretics practicing black magic!

... Snarking aside, you could always write in a "Everyone just does it the evil way. There's a less potent, but mostly safe way of necromancing I can teach you" retcon.
    Dark Knight channels darkness which is an inherent aspect of aether. unbalanced aether distorts the soul and flesh. Lahabrea mentions this at the end of MSQ. It's not a moral reason why you shouldn't use necromancy but a 'scientific' reason. Not even Sharlaya uses necromancy to my knowledge and they bind voidsent.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kalise Relanah
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Dark Knight channels darkness which is an inherent aspect of aether. unbalanced aether distorts the soul and flesh. Lahabrea mentions this at the end of MSQ. It's not a moral reason why you shouldn't use necromancy but a 'scientific' reason. Not even Sharlaya uses necromancy to my knowledge and they bind voidsent.
    Yeah, but I think what he's getting at is that although the common conception of necromancy is that it is reliant on corrupted aether and is massively damaging to the world.

It's not impossible that SE will come up with some flimsy excuse for how to work it into the game. Such as "Oh, look we found this ancient Allag Tomestone that happens to recite in perfect detail some random guys research into a form of necromancy that doesn't corrupt the aether and so makes it all fine and dandy for some random adventurer to start practicing it several thousand years in the future. Also, here's a random Soul Crystal I found that belonged to this spectre of myth known only as 'The Lich' but was actually a nice guy who used his knowledge of safe necromancy to help restore balance to the world's aether. Further, here's instructions on how to call 'The Lich's' spirit to he can teach you more about how necromancy is a good thing and also give you job quests... Conveniently"
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lluw Tharias
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Yoshi-P has said before that he lets the writers come up with their ideas and then gives them to the lore team to figure out how to make them work, so the same could easily be made in regards to a Necromancer healer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    lol. Honestly I should probably explain where I'm coming from with this. I've always been a huge fan of dark souls. Especially the way they treated the concepts of light and darkness. instead of the typical trope of good vs evil, light was shown as not inherently good. It was turbulent and harsh in a way and the characters tied to light were far from benign. Darkness on the other hand was peaceful and tranquil by itself. It never became a roiling abyss until agitated and corrupted by light.

This has always been my personal mantra ever since ds2 when they introduced hexes which included dark healing spells. Which is why I'm ecstatic for Shadowbringers. The idea of a healer using the tranquility of darkness to heal has always struck me as a really compelling story idea.
    Welp, you've just described 1.x's Thaumaturge... May it rest in piece.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast