Player
    Character
    Owa Owa
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90

Machinist guide for Feast [Intermediate][S11]

DIDN'T MENTION THIS BUT DON'T PRE-LOAD 3 AMMO AT START OF GAMES. SCHOOLBOY ERROR M8 (see post #3)
    [[GUIDE]] - https://youtu.be/kfRfZU1NIuE
    Bonus round:
    Some very basic MCH gameplay: https://youtu.be/C1D93wCBLWA

(Only clip I have, may try to get some more considering I was poor)

This guide assumes you already have a basic understanding of how feast works.
    QC Macros/Feast Tips (ie timings/boxes etc) are not covered in this guide and can be found in my summoner's guide. I've played Machinist before but I guess this is the first season I've "mained" it somewhat, so it'll probably show. I also need to learn to use the word Heat Gauge instead of "Energy" - WoW habits just don't die.
    SMN Guide (S8 - so outdated due to it being pre-ED buff which lets face it didn't change much, but does have wither)
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...eedback-wanted

There's time stamps in the description so you can skip to whatever part you need to know most about. Ends abrubtly, missed a 20s clip from the end but it's pretty much just bye, check smn guide to learn about box timings/macros etc.

I'd like to make a text version of this based on feedback from this video as I haven't got a new mic yet so this isn't the easiest on the ears (less popping this time though!), so all feedback welcome (looking at you Lace Valeria and Shinkle). Unlike Frosty I ain't capable of cutting down to less than 10minutes so probably the best alternative would be a "TL;DW" google doc. Maybe if I feel super generous I'll throw in some gifs.

Also someone post to WPD pls ty.
    (1)
    Last edited by BloodRubyXII; 12-14-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sors Tyche
    World
    Phantom
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    What's your reason for not preloading?

I asked this a few months ago when I first started playing and sparked a debate that lasted a few days in wpd phys range lol

edit: oh I see that you took part in that debate, lol
    (0)
    Last edited by Shinklet; 12-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    Owa Owa
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinklet View Post
    What's your reason for not preloading?

I asked this a few months ago when I first started playing and sparked a debate that lasted a few days in wpd phys range lol

edit: oh I see that you took part in that debate, lol
    Are you sure? It's my first day back in WPD today I was banned for 8 months. But anyway, because getting to 50 heat is such a crucial part of dealing damage and it delays any chance of an early opener (MCH has probably one of the fastest openers out of all the ranged jobs). We're extremely weak below 50 heat so preloading for the sake of the fact it costs nothing is actually detrimental. If hot shot gave heat then yeah we'd definitely preload and open with HS > HS > Heated Split Shot, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I think it was Ardo or Lace who especially advocated for pre-loading before I was banned, and the opposite number pretty much beat me to the argument I'd have had with him, because his answer to the reason why I just said you don't do it is because you can stun gun for heat. Which is probably the worst idea I've ever heard personally, but both have been playing MCH for a very long time so whether I'm allowed to call either of them wrong is another question entirely. Probably doesn't help either that Ardo plays Feast and Lace plays Frontlines.

E: I'm going to go read the argument now I've found it, yeah I was in WPD at the time but I think the argument broke out -just- after I got banned.
    E2: Ok I wasn't banned, but I just didn't pay attention to it because I mained BRD. Both are right in some ways, Ardo is especially right in that no melee can be ready that early and that preloading hurts nothing. Ardo also has superior feast exp. Claire was also right that it doesn't really matter because early game damage is basically fluff, I therefore still recommend not preloading because you can afford the TP to 3x load after rushing 50 heat and spamming heated combos instead (you'll get enough regen to have 3 ammo again for an early burst window). Not entirely sure who was advocating using stun gun for heat but yeah that's a bad idea. I stun gun if I know I can secure a kill in culling or if I have an atrocious tank that doesn't stun anything for me.
    (0)
    Last edited by BloodRubyXII; 12-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.