Player
    Character
    Amelia Wafflesmack
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamox View Post
    Don't just assume that the guy is good because he got orange, you should look up to some actual players known for what they are.
    uhm... lol? So people with orange logs are not 'actual' players? How so?

CPM isn't king, uptime is, don't get this wrong.
    Obv those come hand by hand and you need both, but it is a matter of fact that most people with lower percentiles (below 50) are not pressing enough buttons. Also can you please explain further what you mean with 'uptime' in this very special case? Every role has the same (possible) uptime in each specific fight and I don't really see where you could loose a lot of uptime in o9s? Missing 5 GCDs (not in a row) wont be the reason you have green percentiles instead of purple/orange.

This is not how it works.
    Oh? How does it work tho?

Quote Originally Posted by KaivaC View Post
    I'm not too concerned about getting the tether, as much as I want to see how much further I can take myself. Plus due to positioning and the massive DPS output that the top damage dealer in our group puts our, I think that's why I'm a lower priority for the tether.
    That's a fair reason, once you managed to improve you still might want to suggest giving the tether to you instead.
    (0)
    Last edited by AmeliaVerves; 12-06-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    I don't know, man.

Player
    Character
    Eagle Master
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    What I meant is that you should look for Players known for their Knowledge on the class, getting orange isn't hard at all and can highly be padded/influenced by RNG.
    Know the names of the prominent ninjas to make sure you're following the good exemple.

CPM can be influenced by using unessecary skills and sometimes using the abilities on CD isn't the right choice, juste like using the wrong abilities still makes your CPM go higher.
    While uptime works kinda the same way it still has more to it, things such as greed, dot/buff uptime etc.
    Uptime is usually the n°1 issue people have in the game, CPM to a certain extent too but it is way less "precise" I guess.

Dragon Sight?
    How does it work?
    You give it to the person that benefits the most from it, it has never been about who's closer.
    Ninja is a burst class, literally one of the best bursts in the game if done correctly, most of your dps comes from your 20sc burst window, else your output is very low, getting a dragon sight outsight of your burst window is literally worse than giving it to any other class that would have some kind of burst at the moment or even, in the case of no one bursting at the moment Ninja is still weaker than most DPS.

So, tl;dr: dragon sight is very situational and there's way more to it than just "being the other melee" and "being closer".
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amelia Wafflesmack
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    The least amount of orange parses are padded. It used to be, but those times are long gone and it takes way more than some RNG luck to get a 95+ on a NIN (bc almost every group has one = there are plenty of parses).
    If it really isn't that hard everyone had orange parses.

By comparing your CPM (and the actual casts that were used, which is obv included when you analyze logs) to other top NINs you can see if you are on the right track or not. I have never heard of anyone pressing useless skills just to boost CPM. That sounds ridicoulus.
    You realize your CPM is dependent on your uptime, right? You can have a 100% uptime and never click a single button. How is that more precise than CPM? Imo both are directly correlated with each other but CPM is something you can actually check easily on fflogs, that's why it is usually looked at.

Considering party buffs and burst windows a NIN should always be in burst when Dragon Sight is used. If you talked to your Range/Caster before and they are actually in range for the tether to work it can be viable to give it to them. But by default (in a setting of people playing their classes on a similar high standard) it should be given to the NIN.
    If you find yourself in another scenario that is, in fact, situational and differs from the default, but Kaiva already explained why it is how it is in their group.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eagle Master
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Great job on missing the points and bringing up some high quality nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaVerves View Post
    The least amount of orange parses are padded. It used to be, but those times are long gone and it takes way more than some RNG luck to get a 95+ on a NIN (bc almost every group has one = there are plenty of parses).
    If it really isn't that hard everyone had orange parses.
    Getting Orange logs, especially the lower tiers like 95-96 isn't hard no, you might think so but it still isn't.
    There are many factors, padded runs and RNG are just the most common, things such as:
    - clear date
    - gear
    - composition
    - people giving buffs
    - and many more
    ARE a thing, this is why you don't only look at logs to tell if someone is good or not.

Also, props to you for thinking that it's harder to hit orange when there's more parses, more parses only means bigger brackets so, yeah, it says a lot on your knowledge.

By comparing your CPM (and the actual casts that were used, which is obv included when you analyze logs) to other top NINs you can see if you are on the right track or not. I have never heard of anyone pressing useless skills just to boost CPM. That sounds ridicoulus.
    You realize your CPM is dependent on your uptime, right? You can have a 100% uptime and never click a single button. How is that more precise than CPM? Imo both are directly correlated with each other but CPM is something you can actually check easily on fflogs, that's why it is usually looked at.
    Nowhere did I deny the use of CPM, what I implied though is that it isn't king which is true and that it isn't "Precise" which is also true.

Considering party buffs and burst windows a NIN should always be in burst when Dragon Sight is used. If you talked to your Range/Caster before and they are actually in range for the tether to work it can be viable to give it to them. But by default (in a setting of people playing their classes on a similar high standard) it should be given to the NIN.
    If you find yourself in another scenario that is, in fact, situational and differs from the default, but Kaiva already explained why it is how it is in their group.
    That's assuming everything remains on track and again where did I say that you should never give it to the NIN?
    I explained in which situations you should give it to the NIN (which atm in a normal setup should be whenever there isnt litany).
    And we're pretty far off:
    As the only other melee you kinda should be the 1st person to get the dragoon tether. o.o' Since you are the one most likely to stay close enough to even make the tether work. Talk to your dragoon about it and make him macro the tether on you!
    Also, a ranged that knows how to position himself properly wont ever be too far away for dragon sight, it would only be an issue during certain mechanics which most likely isnt a thing and again doesnt come down to "who's close gets it".

I'll elaborate more if you make me feel like there'd be any use in doing so, though, so far it doesn't look like it. Feel relevant if you wish to but you should stop giving incomplete/wrong advices.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shamox; 12-07-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Player
    Character
    Swarley Mcswarlington
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    I seriously suggest putting some logs of yours into that website I posted in case you haven't already. It'll help point out and emphasize things you may be overlooking. Helps a great deal when you are starting out trying to optimize a class
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Amelia Wafflesmack
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Since this is leading nowhere and only nitpicking about phrasing and making points clearer bc of 'no im more right than you are' I'll leave it as it is now.

The OP got help and is able to improve more now, that's all that matters.
    (0)
    I don't know, man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2