Player
    Character
    Omi Senu
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

Best guide/advice for noob DoH?

I see lots but sometimes the advice is conflicting. One issue I have with extra jobs of any kind is inventory management for different levels. What is the best way to get through crafting in your opinion? All at once, one at a time, other?
    (0)
    Thanks for helping make the FFXIV community a fun and welcoming place. If you're not sure you have (and you very likely have), make it a point to be patient or helpful the next time you log in so that you can know you've made a difference.

If you're on the Aether data center, congratulations! I might be your next exciting adventure healer in the Duty Finder. Please look forward to it.

Player
    Character
    Peony Jones
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 86
    I'm still pretty new to this game, myself, but it seems to me you're best off leveling pretty much all DoH and DoL classes closely together. This is because you'll often need to get mats from one class to use with another. Leatherworking, for example, often needs bolts of cloth (made by Weaving) and alumen (obtained by Mining), while a Weaver will in turn often need leather, as well as fibers (obtained by Botany) and silver ingots (made with Goldsmithing, from ores obtained by Mining).
    (2)
    She's got a chicken to ri-ide, she's got a chicken to ri-i-ide...
    She's got a chicken to ride, this game's from Square!

Player
    Character
    Reinhardt Azureheim
    World
    Alpha
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Generally its not a bad idea to level evenly, that way you have access to craftables across jobs without having to buy crafted materials via marketboard (example, carpenter making lumber out of logs to make hammers etc on Blacksmith).

However, due to cross class skills, a few of them will make you praise Byregot forever. Most important one is Steady Hand II from Lv 38 culinarian. It provides 30% increased successrate on the next five turns for only 3cp more than SH I. That way, Basic Touch reaches 100%, avoiding the quality gamble altogether.

Lv 15 Leatherworker comes with Waste Not, halving durability loss for four turns. I like pairing it with Steady Hand I / II at the start, especially on low durability crafts.

Lv 15 / 50 Weaver comes with Careful Synth I / II, 100% success for 0cp. Latter version even has a potency of 120, basically replacing Basic Synth entirely.

There are many ways to get started, pick whatever you think is best for you - Lv38 CUL is the only thing I 100% recommend. It will save you many rage moments when trying to go for HQ crafts while remaining CP friendly early on.

At least that is my experience for now, I am just a young Lv30ish crafter.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alya Mizar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Caimie Tsukino
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Hi tinythinker, seeing how you are still very new, I would recommend my oldest original crafting guide. Although it is a prehistoric dinosaur, it is very suitable for new to intermediate crafters. It has ~300k views on the internet and the numbers are still growing. I think it will be of use to you:
    http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-ad...ie-tsukino.39/
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Garret Strongstaff
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Hey Caimie!
    I took a hiatus from crafting and wonder if you think its worth my time to upgrade to the new 4.4 craft/gather gear set. Is this 4.0's Ironworks? At the moment Im still cruisin along with my Ala Migan set. What do you think? :-)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Omi Senu
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Wow lots of great answers so fast. Right now my main limit for leveling is bag space for all gear for all jobs. Plus crafting adds mats to bag space. I'm working on a solution but not quite there yet. I see people in public areas dinging level after level so I definitely think I can catch up. Thanks for all help given and any yet to come!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alya Mizar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    Quote Originally Posted by GarretStrongstaf View Post
    Hey Caimie!
    I took a hiatus from crafting and wonder if you think its worth my time to upgrade to the new 4.4 craft/gather gear set. Is this 4.0's Ironworks? At the moment Im still cruisin along with my Ala Migan set. What do you think? :-)
    The stats are insane*. And if you are in decently melded ala mhigan gear you can make them. Thread here somewhere about that. BSM, ARM, and ALC tools are your highest priority for tools. I think body and head for armor.

*Crafting, Craft 1769, Cont 1652, 492 CP. MIN & BOT, G 1639, P 1582, 797 GPs, FSH** G 1304. P 1072. 825 GPs. All have a few open meld spots.

** Still using the ala mhigan rod.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Caimie Tsukino
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by GarretStrongstaf View Post
    Hey Caimie!
    It is hard to say whether "it is worth your time"... The current gear is so strong that we are able to macro everything. But is it 4.0's Ironworks? Probably not. I believe there will be further upgrades, as the Ironworks was "blue gear", while the current gear is still "green gear". I think the current set is equivalent to the Carbonweave set in HW. That's why, it's hard to say whether "it is worth your time". It depends on many things.

It depends how soon they will release the next set of gear, and it depends on how quickly you're able to reach the current 4.4 set, and how long you can enjoy its power with respect to the time and money you put in. If it takes you a month or two to gear up, and they release new sets right away, then it may not be very money/effort worthwhile. But if they release the next set of gear very late, then you're just holding back yourself from enjoying the game by not acquiring the 4.4 set.

It depends on whether you want to enjoy crafting your own 4.5 or 4.6 crafting set as well. If you want to craft your own, you probably need at least some 4.4 gear ready.

It also depends on whether you want to be at the top of the game when they release the next crafting / gathering / battle sets. If you want to be able to quickly craft the newest crafting / gathering / battle sets, you probably want to be geared up.

I would suggest getting at least some if not all of the 4.4, but just don't overspend on overmelds.
    (2)

“The best crafter is not the one with the best stats, but the one who makes the best use of one’s stats” – By Caimie Tsukino

Player
    Character
    Garret Strongstaff
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimie_Tsukino View Post
    It is hard to say whether "it is worth your time"... The current gear is so strong that we are able to macro everything. But is it 4.0's Ironworks? Probably not. I believe there will be further upgrades, as the Ironworks was "blue gear", while the current gear is still "green gear". I think the current set is equivalent to the Carbonweave set in HW. That's why, it's hard to say whether "it is worth your time". It depends on many things.

It depends how soon they will release the next set of gear, and it depends on how quickly you're able to reach the current 4.4 set, and how long you can enjoy its power with respect to the time and money you put in. If it takes you a month or two to gear up, and they release new sets right away, then it may not be very money/effort worthwhile. But if they release the next set of gear very late, then you're just holding back yourself from enjoying the game by not acquiring the 4.4 set.

It depends on whether you want to enjoy crafting your own 4.5 or 4.6 crafting set as well. If you want to craft your own, you probably need at least some 4.4 gear ready.

It also depends on whether you want to be at the top of the game when they release the next crafting / gathering / battle sets. If you want to be able to quickly craft the newest crafting / gathering / battle sets, you probably want to be geared up.

I would suggest getting at least some if not all of the 4.4, but just don't overspend on overmelds.
    Thanks for getting back! You are such a helpful and well spoken forum member.
    To your points: I think I had all of my ironworks gear by 3.4 and nothing but the "blessed set" of tools came out in 3.5 if I remember correctly so I am not sure if I expect new gear to come out before 5.0. Then again you quite literally wrote the book on FF 14 crafting so you may be right when you say you anticipate new gear. I love crafting so I am working on the new set piece by piece at the very least so that I may craft the things I most enjoy. Thanks again for your time and energy.

Garret
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast