Player
    Character
    Gralwyb Waekgohtwyn
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilenya View Post
    You forgot "Healer mains who only use it for moments when things go to hell or tank mains who use it...When the Devs say they need to?"
    I've had one instance where tank LB was used in a situation that would of resulted in a wipe otherwise. Was in WoD, we're about 80% of the way to killing cloud of darkness, meteors begin to fall and I see that about 4 of them aren't covered so I adlo up. Meteors hit and 90% of the raid is wiped out and she proceeds to kill the other two alliances before going into her cloud add phase. There is just myself on Sch, and a Rdm alive at this moment... thought of using LB3 but CoD had already absorbed max stacks of clouds. So I rez the tank and as much of the party as I can, and once she stops spawning adds I drop sacred soil, succor, and fey covenant and tell the tank to LB3.

We survived by less than 300 hp for everyone but the tank, I proceed to start reviving the other alliances while cohealer keeps our tank up and we clear.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Cassandra Solidor
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gralna View Post
    I've had one instance where tank LB was used in a situation that would of resulted in a wipe otherwise. Was in WoD, we're about 80% of the way to killing cloud of darkness, meteors begin to fall and I see that about 4 of them aren't covered so I adlo up. Meteors hit and 90% of the raid is wiped out and she proceeds to kill the other two alliances before going into her cloud add phase. There is just myself on Sch, and a Rdm alive at this moment... thought of using LB3 but CoD had already absorbed max stacks of clouds. So I rez the tank and as much of the party as I can, and once she stops spawning adds I drop sacred soil, succor, and fey covenant and tell the tank to LB3.

We survived by less than 300 hp for everyone but the tank, I proceed to start reviving the other alliances while cohealer keeps our tank up and we clear.
    I've had a similar experience except in Middy normal. People had... very little idea what they were doing and it wound up just myself and the other tank alive. I cheesed Ark Morn with Hallowed and used tank LB3 as a cooldown later when the other tank couldn't keep themselves up. I won't lie, it felt pretty awesome with half of them shocked I more or less solo'd Middy from 15%
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ein Vaer
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    In dungeons, w/e will just save you a bunch of seconds by shaving off a couple %, so not a big deal. Fire away.

In alpha normals, other than LBing early during checker since you get most of it back from the meteor circles I wouldn't be surprised if people saved LB. Each turn has a bunch of accident spots where you can just wipe and waste minutes redoing it. Better to save for a healer lb3/tank lb3 than shaving off a couple % IMO and just fire it at the end if its unused and the boss is about to die.

O9N - double stacking the stacks - I don't know why but this happens a lot usually right at the end during an earth phase, causing a wipe after 6-8 minutes. Healer lb can fix this if one of the healers get out otherwise you wipe and have to do it again from the beginning. This one doesn't matter too much.

O10N - the 2nd akh morn after earth shakers + horrid roar - even ok parties sometimes wipe here because they forget about the stack while dodging the circles in different directions or a bunch of people died to the earth shakers before - i've tank lb3'd through this twice now since the party kept dying at this spot.

O11N - star/lar accidents, especially the one after the electric slide stack that starts his star/lar combo facing the party and people get mixed up since it is opposite due to facing.

O12N - phase 3 tank proximity meteors, if I see the party at half HP and people not moving i'll tank lb3 if both the healers are going to die from the damage. Only had to do this once so far.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaTsarra View Post
    When a caster dps I prefer to use my LB on a large pull of trash mobs personally. I always use it if a melee doesn't use it on the boss.
    As a tank main, this is generally my preferred use of the LB.
    If I see our LB unused and the last boss hits 5% I'm usually just going to use Mighty Guard at that point. I may as well use it since a DPS would do more damage by pressing their rotation that they would by overkilling the boss with an LB.
    (0)

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Kieran Wolf
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaura View Post
    I have been levelling my tanks and healers recently and I have noticed that a large majority of the DPS that I run with don't use Limit Breaks on bosses anymore. And the ones who do, usually leave it until it is too late and the boss is within 2-3% or they die during the Limit Break usage.

I have always made sure to use Limit Break whenever it is available especially when on Melee. So what happened to the Limit Break usage?
    The damage is trivial enough that it only shaves seconds off the fight, whereas the healer/tank limit breaks can prevent a wipe. Technically there's no reason not to use it just as a fight is about to end, but there's also no reason to keep it bound or remember it exists.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Edax Royeaux
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    I had an instance where the healer needed to LB to save the party, but the DPS used it a few seconds before the healer and caused everyone to wipe. To be honest, the LB does so little % damage to the bosses in Stormblood that they aren't either worth it for DPS to use anymore.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'dyalani Rhus
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I use it but a lot less in SB content (omega raid. Alliance raid) mostly as the amount of damage dished out is not worth losing it for a healer who may wipe. If it get to the point I can use it safely it's normally too late and by the time the animations are over he lost his last 5-7% hp and my big fancy limit break really only need a few 1000s to kill him. I see it used on bosses and barely 1-2% comes off not sure it's worth losing whatever stance you're in for something you barely notice.

Dungeons and DPS checks (level checker etc) yes as you can see it cuts off 10-15% hp and is worth it if falling behind in the check and bosses in dungeons aren't as beefed up as raids.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lho Polaali
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 23
    Like others said, these days you might as well just not use the LB in raid setups, be they 8 player or 24. I've seen it happen way too often, if a DPS does use the LB, they tunnel-vision, fail to see that the healers would likely need it, end up wiping us, and then complain that "you shouldn't need to save the LB in normal".
    Ok, I don't completely disagree, but it's not that hard to look up at the party bar and see that half the party are dead and the last remaining healer is about to run OOM.
    If anything I prefer it be used during DPS checks, especially if you know how to squeeze the most out of it like an LB1-meteors-LB3 in O11N. If the party's performing adequately, the sustained damage dished out should be enough. If not performing adequately, in non-enraged situation, you probably want to save it for tanks or healers anyway.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kurumii Tokisakii
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaura View Post
    I have been levelling my tanks and healers recently and I have noticed that a large majority of the DPS that I run with don't use Limit Breaks on bosses anymore. And the ones who do, usually leave it until it is too late and the boss is within 2-3% or they die during the Limit Break usage.

I have always made sure to use Limit Break whenever it is available especially when on Melee. So what happened to the Limit Break usage?
    Nothing changed and honestly the LB should not even be ready on bosses because the caster or brd/mch should've used it on a trash pull before.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    Good talk, all. Glad we had it.
    暗闇の力#7805

Player
    Character
    Esprit Libre
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Often DPS don't use the LB on-demand because it's not a safe time in the fight to do so. LB roots you in place for a rather long time and can very often lead to you dying if used at the wrong moment. I've had it happen to me quite often when I've mistimed the safe period in a fight or caved into the demands of tanks/healers that don't know what they're saying.

Also a DPS in the middle of a burst is not going to waste the burst using LB as soon as it comes up. If the LB meter ticks over just after I've used Riddle of Fire, for example, imma wait till my fire goes out before using the LB.
    (4)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast