Player
    Character
    Avraym Kent
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 77

Risk Factor. Can I have it?

One of the problems with FFXIV's content, is the lack of risk and also mob strength, wether its a solo fight or a group fight.

It's very rare in a group situation where you have to be "careful" of your pulls, or where you don't just pile drive through a group chain in seconds, Save Dzemael Darkhold in early release, but that was before the many reforms we've seen.

A lot of people complain that clearing mobs is like fighting straw dolls. No challenge. No element of risk. Hell, you can pull 10+ monsters as a group pull in some of the toughest areas in our level range, and generally walk away unscathed (In relation to group/level size of course)

I'm hoping that at least one of the two new raids will provide actual tactics.

Remember in FFXI when we had to designate pullers and a pull camp? And even then some things could go wrong. I don't want the game to be like that all over, but in some cases, pulls should have to be well planned in association with the risk.

Also, the story quest fights were child plays at best. Which is fine, because its introducting you to the game as a new player. But I personally have higher expectations with job quests.

I'm also hoping that Job quests will involve solo fights, where gear and player skill makes or breaks the difference. I mean the sort of fights In any previous final fantasy, where you knew gear/food preperation was key because the fight was so tough. Given how easy it is to level in this game, we should at LEAST retain wearing appropriate gear.
    (49)

Player
    Character
    Visgal Goldmane
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    I agree that a certain risk factor is missing, getting killed isn't an issue anymore. Gear damage? hah! In no way am i worried about that.

In FFXI the mobs would also follow you alot more than they do now and one mob in itself for a party was a challenge. Well... back then they weren't labeled their level range. That was Even match, tough, very tough and the like. Some of you know.
    I would wish the storyline was alot harder though, since that should be one of the most important things in the game. Surely start out easy, but heavily increase in difficulty.

And i agree on gear should make a difference. Right now i'm wearing what seems best with the stats it's got for my job, ofcourse. But i really don't notice much change, just trying to hit certain numbers in my attributes because well, "that's what you're supposed to" FFXI had very effective low level gear that made a difference, also low level events/instances/dungeon. Sphosae (however you spell it) and Toto-rak. You can just go hammer those things down as a 50. Abit iffy in my opinion.

And i'll take my chance to say it while i'm at it, i still really don't like the big beacon on NM's. Can i find it myself please?

Thumbs up to you
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Oleas Aiedail
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Agreed!
    There should always be a certain amount of risk when battling a foe to get stronger/obtain rare gear. Especially when you are charging right into their stronghold. (Duoing/soloing chest mobs = ZzZzZz)

While I do enjoy taking on scores of mobs at one time and defeating them swiftly I feel that it's not intense and fun as it could be if you had to consider what could be lost if you failed the encounter.

Alas: Many MMO players don't want overly strict or complicated risks involved with their experience during play. Weather it be because they don't want it to be difficult or because they don't have a lot of time to progress and a large loss would mean a waste of a play session etc.

I feel that the current gear damage system is decent but it's not hard to obtain gil to repair your items in this game. There needs to be some kind of other risk involved with failing to consider your situation before acting AKA: Dieing.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Visgal Goldmane
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    Yes, i also don't want it to be brutal and hell. Just harder~

Getting to certain places while avoiding level 80 mobs, primals, entering strongholds -on your own- is fun. For me atleast, since it has a higher level of difficulty and can go very bad very quick if you mess up.
    Well, i can't do primals on my own <_< But they can be taken down with wits, but can go downhill too with ease and that's when the fun begins, when you need to find a way to recover!

Being put in tough, dangerous situations and making it gives a nice sense of achievement.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Avraym Kent
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 77
    Quote Originally Posted by Visgal View Post
    Yes, i also don't want it to be brutal and hell. Just harder~

Getting to certain places while avoiding level 80 mobs, primals, entering strongholds -on your own- is fun. For me atleast, since it has a higher level of difficulty and can go very bad very quick if you mess up.
    Well, i can't do primals on my own <_< But they can be taken down with wits, but can go downhill too with ease and that's when the fun begins, when you need to find a way to recover!

Being put in tough, dangerous situations and making it gives a nice sense of achievement.
    True. I can't count how many times our mog/ifrit parties looked over and we somehow turned it around (Moreso upon release)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Arc Jurado
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    More challenging content? Sure. Though we should probably let them get all the drastic game changes out of the way first so that all is balanced well enough. With the way everything's been changing since 1.18 it's hard to keep something challenging. Once things settle down I'll agree I'd like to see more challenging content. Though there is a difference between challenging and difficult in an obnoxious way.

However I don't think we need to be punished further for death. The old death penalty was almost nothing and this is adequate. You should not want to die because death is indicative of failure and you don't want to be a failure, correct? I mean what happened to playing well simply for the sake of playing well? Playing well for the sake of not sucking or bringing the team down? Do we really need to be masochistically punished for simply dying which is sometimes not directly our fault?

Though also to be fair this game was always initially created for and continually caters to the more casual audience. This doesn't mean content itself must be easy but it must be accessible and penalties for failure are generally lower.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Visgal Goldmane
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 70
    There is indeed a difference from challenging to obnoxiousness. And that's what i hope they can find.

I fully support Yoshi-san and the crew and i trust them to figure it out in their busy schedule.
    (0)

Player

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcell View Post
    More challenging content? Sure. Though we should probably let them get all the drastic game changes out of the way first so that all is balanced well enough. With the way everything's been changing since 1.18 it's hard to keep something challenging. Once things settle down I'll agree I'd like to see more challenging content. Though there is a difference between challenging and difficult in an obnoxious way.

However I don't think we need to be punished further for death. The old death penalty was almost nothing and this is adequate. You should not want to die because death is indicative of failure and you don't want to be a failure, correct? I mean what happened to playing well simply for the sake of playing well? Playing well for the sake of not sucking or bringing the team down? Do we really need to be masochistically punished for simply dying which is sometimes not directly our fault?

Though also to be fair this game was always initially created for and continually caters to the more casual audience. This doesn't mean content itself must be easy but it must be accessible and penalties for failure are generally lower.
    I agree with your points.
    Once battle content balance is finalized, there should be some sort of re-evaluation of old content to make things more challenging. I hate to point to WoW, but something that it does is create "smart" challenges. The combat and enemies don't have to be super difficult, but they should make you think. Right now theres about as much thought put into raids/ dungeons as solo leve grinding. At least primals require strategy.

At the same time,the casual audience should be the focus, but in more of a convenience factor, not content.
    (2)
    Gungnir, gugnir, gungir, Odin's weapon.

Player
    Character
    Mr Sux
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    if i die i want drop all of my gears in my corpse , until i recover it. and my body is going to be wiped in 10 mins if untouched.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Onji Temjin
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by lamerider View Post
    if i die i want drop all of my gears in my corpse , until i recover it. and my body is going to be wiped in 10 mins if untouched.
    Yeah... don't see that happening. I do hope content becomes more of a challenge in the future though. Right now with every patch content becomes easier. For example, when Dzemael Darkhold was first released as a dungeon, you actually had to have a plan and execute that plan well in order to win. Now a few patches later all you need are a few people in crap gear and you can burn through darkhold like a hot knife through butter. Seriously, this junk has got to stop getting easier and easier.
    (5)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast