Thread: Removing TP

Player
    Character
    Tristain Archambeau
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Don't really care as long as the re-design means you still effectively can do as much with your char now as before. Primarily affects DRK, PLD and BRD anyway. You don't need TP as an abstract representation of a melee job's ability to carry out actions and, besides, many jobs, like SAM or MNK, weave a lot of aether into their abilities, so I don't think it's even that silly from a lore standpoint - but again abstracted game mechanics don't necessarily need a lore grounding, per se.
    (1)
    When the game's story becomes self-aware:

Player
    Character
    Seraphitia Faro
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    TP only ever mattered in AoE. You couldn't ever run out of TP against a single target enemy, really. Not when using any class that's actually TP user. Red Mage could run out though.

And together with methods of recovering TP that numerous classes had, that means that TP was a non-issue in any party that knew what they're doing and was not lagging behind on gear.

With this change however there is a question how will weaponskills work. If they will use MP, we run into an issue of them simply running out of juice. That means that failures (aka deaths) will be that far more destructive to the parties chances.
    However, there is an alternative. These skills no longer using any resources at all.

Maybe only the AoE skills like Overpower will use MP to still be limited. Maybe not even they will, with the developers embracing the fact that there is nothing wrong with people pulling from wall to wall and melting everything at once with an AoE barrage. Right now it was restricted to well-geared parties, while the poorly geared parties would run out of TP long before the enemies are dead. Especially if some members don't AoE for whatever ridiculous excuse they may have. That causes a huge, unnecessary gap between players that are lucky with party...and those that are unlucky. By removing the cost to weaponskill AoE's that disappears since even one AoE user will be able to speed up the fight noticeably.

Even now, if you properly manage your resources, casters are unlikely to run out of mana. So sustenance is reasonable to expect from non-casters as well, after all. I for one would be very much for this change if that was the case.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cassandra Solidor
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    TP served next to no purpose in Stormblood outside AoE situations. Even dying you could usually power through without bothering with Invigoration or Tactician. It's less to do with dumbing down and more they simply didn't need two gauges when one does so little.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jin Wa
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Millennials and Gen Zs are simpleminded people. There is your reason about why every game is getting streamlined

< Millennial
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Blackiron Tarkus
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    I keep thinking of Dark souls when they mentioned "consolidating TP and MP". The stamina bar in that game is one way I think it could work. Each action uses a certain amount and other factors affected the regen and length of the bar allowing the player to have more actions within a given limit. It allowed for very inclusive gameplay where one stat or equipment could make the difference between you getting three 2h-GS swing vs two 2h-GS swings before bottoming out. It could work in the same way in FFXIV since the TP bar is essentially a very, very slow version of it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Edax Royeaux
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post
    Millennials and Gen Zs are simpleminded people. There is your reason about why every game is getting streamlined

< Millennial
    Then how come my Grandma still can't work her VCR?
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Blue Kitty
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 84
    Quote Originally Posted by bass9020 View Post
    Why is TP being removed? From a lore standpoint it makes sense, non magic classes use tactical points and magic classes use magic points. I still dont understand that we are still catering to people who get "confused" by having too many things to reference. Every class switching to just MP makes no sense. Why not make it a UI feature to switch the MP/TP bar depending on what class you are on, why is that so hard? I know some classes use both but thats an easy fix, all there skills will use either TP or MP.

Its just a minor complaint but I thought it was an odd choice to have it removed completely.
    TP and MP effectively behave the same anyway.

In Lore I would have thought it would be aether.

For classes that use both they just need to rework the costs of spells. We also dont know what this class rework could be. It might just be the removal of base class like they have wanted to do for a good while, or more drastic.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashidon View Post
    we never needed tp to begin with it was a ff11 unique thing that got carried over for no reason.
    It got carried over because the original concept for the battle system was gonna be an extension of the revamped system they did at the end of 1.23. where you actually had to build TP in order to do ya powerful combos which would have made combat a lot more tactical and less button spammy. In a sense of do you do your combo when you get to 1000TP or keep building to 3,000TP for a bigger burst of your combos later kinda sense...

Skills in 1.23 felt alot more powerfull and had more weight because of this. where with the current system nothing carries any weight or feels like it packs a punch. it's just spam buttons to keep up some flashy lights and sparkles on your autoattacks. nothing feel special or powerful.

to this day i wish they'd go back to that system. was so much better and felt so much more powerfull when you did combos
    (4)
    Last edited by Dzian; 11-18-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Player
    Character
    Elan Centauri
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    I don't really think it's a big deal for them to remove it and just give people MP across the board. Does seem like a rather pointless change though.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida View Post
    Personal Housing
    While I cannot give a specific date on when personal housing will be implemented, I can say that prices will be completely separate from free company housing, and, naturally, far more affordable.

Player
    Character
    Gemina Lunarian
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    TP to me always seemed like one of those XI concepts that should have stood with it. iirc, TP was a gauge that filled up in order to use weapon skills. In FFXIV, your weapon skills are readily available assuming you have the TP and the gcd isn't ticking. They're hindered by the gcd and animations, so I never really understood why they had to cost anything at all. This was even made more so in SB, when each job got it's own gauge, which typically gate a job's more divine abilities.

I don't play enough jobs to know which ones will be affected by the change, but I don't see how it could be negative unless perhaps TP restrictions is what prevents breaking the job.
    (1)

How I came to be by the side of the chosen, and the moments we've sewn.
    This soul. Its attachment to all living things. The love they have known.
    Oh Warrior of light if only you could hear,
    just how closely I hold you dear.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast