Player
    Character
    Haxaan Shivar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90

Blue Mage Primal Abilities Vs Summoner lack of Primal "Abilities"

Now let me start off by saying that this isn't a "LET'S BASH BLUE MAGE BECAUSE IT'S GETTING PRIMAL ABILITIES" kind of post in any way shape or form. After watching the Blue Mage video, we have all seen the Blue Mage learn Shiva's Ice Arrow. I think this is amazing and really makes me hopeful for how Blue Mage is going to play. I am curious though what this means for Summoners.

Summoner has been promised new egi glamour (i.e. Ramuh and Sephirot) for over a year and a half, with nothing to show for it. I guess I'm just wondering if they are planning on making Summoner more of a Summoner, or if they are going to continue down the Dragon Mage path that we have kind of landed on currently.

What do you guys think? It's exciting to see what direction both of them go in in 5.0 and I'm really looking forward to see how both of them will play.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Roda Tirhaalo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I'm kind of anxious about that too.
    Like DWT was a bit too close to bluemage in my eyes (Tho it is fun, pls dont take it from me se)
    I'm just worried about how they're going to distinguish the two besides "has pet" and "can do trash skills too" thematically that is.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Arlo Nine-tails
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Did someone mentioned in the event Egi glamours being worked on still?

One thing for sure, they said Role Actions and Job Actions are getting some sort of second pass. They will have the chance to introduce more "classic" SMN feel to the job if they want.

Make one of the SMN quests something to change your Dreadwyrm Trance to Aethertrance and have new spells being the Demi version of other summons.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Daiki Sejuro
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Summoner doesn’t need more egi anything we need to become more of a summoner and not this glorified pet job....that’s just my opinion

DWT is Evocation which fits the brim of summoner/evoker...Blue mage is just monsters abilities not actually channeling the actual primal or even summon them ala summoner.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Antony Gabbiani
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    So I have to mention, just because it's the title of the thread, summoners do have access to primal abilities. Enkindle does a move for the associated primal, but it's performed by your egi rather than you performing it directly, and you do have death flare. So we'll have to see how it works out with blue mages to see who has the broader selection of abilities.

I do find it interesting that they made it so the blue mage actually has to be hit by an attack to learn a skill. I realize that's how many games had you learn blue magic, but given the unconfirmed leaks we've seen in the past, many DPS would die if they stood in the attacks making the job difficult to pull off in that role. I would have expected more of the Strago style of learning blue magic (you have to not have blind status, and be facing the monster when it performs the attack to learn it) over being hit.

That being said, back to summoner, I think it's more appropriate for your summon to perform the primal abilities than for the summoner to manually perform them, and I do think it would be interesting for the job to have less direct skills and more pet interaction with the pets performing the abilities of the various primals they represent. Maybe in a rework that will be possible, especially if the speculated abandonment of classes comes around in 5.0 allowing them to separate skills like bio and miasma to scholar and give summoner more skills directly related to your summoned egi in their place.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Aurelius Lyon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    What I hope is SMN gets an overhaul on the summoning part to fix that problem. I'd like to have Demi versions of our current summons. Summoner's Primal abilities come from the summons themselves and should stay that way.
    Blue Mage getting Primal abilities is fine. I actually suggested that before and got flamed for it, but it turns out to be true.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Roda Tirhaalo
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnertime View Post
    What I hope is SMN gets an overhaul on the summoning part to fix that problem. I'd like to have Demi versions of our current summons. Summoner's Primal abilities come from the summons themselves and should stay that way.
    Blue Mage getting Primal abilities is fine. I actually suggested that before and got flamed for it, but it turns out to be true.
    It's really the only way I can see them one upping the demi bahamut reveal.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Haxaan Shivar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnertime View Post
    I 100% agree with this. If we are sticking with the demi- primal theme that's fine, but let us have more. If we Chained different Demi-Primals, each with different effects (debuffs/party buffs/direct burst damage/aoe damage etc...) and finished them off with Demi-Bahamut I think that would give us more of a sense of what a summoner is all about. Each Demi-Primal would only be out for second at a time, just enough time for them to do what they are intended for and then to be switched out.

If they decide to play more on DWT then I feel like they need to take a look at how Yuna played in Dissidia Duodecim. They could play more like a fast paced mini burst damage dealer, using a magic circle for each attack and calling that primal to come through and use a single attack, that can be chained with other "summon" attacks. No it wouldn't be true summoning but it would be aesthetically similar enough to a summoner that people would get the feeling, while still fitting within the fast paced landscape of ffxiv.

Anyway, Like I said, I am super excited for Blue Mage, and VERY curious to see how they implement Summoner in 5.0 ... I really hope they just wow us with something great. It has been let down after let down with nothing but baby carrots to tide us over.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Airget Lamh
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Ya, but judging that BLU is starting at a lv 50 cap, the job doesn't seem to be designed around the idea of Present-day content however if I"m not mistaken they did state that it will have it's own unique content on top of being able to do older content. You gotta think about it like this, they showcased Shiva fight with BLU solo, potentially Hard Mode fight, but doing Hard Mode Fight as a solo lv 50 is definitely not easy, if they job is designed around being solo, they have more flexibility to add stronger abilities that would be broken at level cap.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Haxaan Shivar
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Airget View Post
    Ya, but judging that BLU is starting at a lv 50 cap, the job doesn't seem to be designed around the idea of Present-day content however if I"m not mistaken they did state that it will have it's own unique content on top of being able to do older content. You gotta think about it like this, they showcased Shiva fight with BLU solo, potentially Hard Mode fight, but doing Hard Mode Fight as a solo lv 50 is definitely not easy, if they job is designed around being solo, they have more flexibility to add stronger abilities that would be broken at level cap.
    That's very true. Seems only time will tell exactly how they implement things. I'm overjoyed that Blue Mage is joining the roster, and though I was hoping for the XI aesthetic, I am actually really happy that they went with a more over the top Classic Blue Mage style. Love that they used the weapon from Tactics Advance too. Makes it feel like a mix of different BLUs from times past. It will be exciting to see how it develops and where it sits job wise.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast