Player
    Character
    Sharl Llyntine
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimoire-M View Post
    Really I think the best way to boost Asylum is to give it the CU treatment of applying a HoT buff in addition to the field HoT. I wouldn't apply any healing from the HoT buff on the instant tick upon entering (the field buff could still do that) but still refresh its duration by doing so. I'd reduce the field potency to compensate so that standing in it keeps it where it is when factoring in both the field HoT and the buff HoT..
    This is a nice idea, and it's not too unreasonable considering CU works this way too. I wouldn't say it needs to be nerfed though, WHM needs something strong, and right now it has nothing aside from Cure III, who's usefulness is questionable.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sylvestre Solscribe
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Perhaps à good start would be to either reduce its cd or make its radius weider.

Or another option would be to make it heal twice for half duration do people wouldn't have to stand in it for so long.

It could also have a lengthier duration but smaller potency (doubled with the huge radius) having a nearly permanent hot could be interesting.

It is true CI is currently better, but I don't think it needs a big tweak to become a good skill. The fact that we can step in and out could be exploited and become the ability strength
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shiru Elysia
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Just give it the CU treatment and it should be better.
    WHM despite being HoT oriented lacks of good HoT oGCD
    Whispering Dawn depends on the fairy position, CU puts the HoT on people once they enter the field.
    Asylum requiring being inside is just outdated.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mumuki Muki
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    I think it would be better to just stick to a simpler change like having asylum's heal resolve faster or just giving it a more potent regen.

And the whole "I don't wanna have to stay in it for it to heal me" thing, is just not a good route to take it, I think.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mutemutt; 11-15-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sharl Llyntine
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutemutt View Post
    And the whole "I don't wanna have to stay in it for it to heal me" thing, is just not a good route to take it, I think.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but unfortunately you can't have one job play by the rules and the rest to do whatever they want. The fact is, Whispering Dawn and CU don't require anyone to stack and stand in a single place for however long to take full advantage of, Asylum shouldn't either.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mumuki Muki
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Tonberry View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but unfortunately you can't have one job play by the rules and the rest to do whatever they want. The fact is, Whispering Dawn and CU don't require anyone to stack and stand in a single place for however long to take full advantage of, Asylum shouldn't either.
    Staying in asylum is rarely an issue, and just because one class does it different doesn't mean there's a huge problem.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nocturnia Uzuki
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    That's kind of a flawed way of looking at it. It may not feel "fair", but by that logic, every job would be exactly the same. In my opinion, Asylum as it is makes WHM more dynamic. You have to plan out how to use it with more care, rather than just reducing it to "Click button, give heals". I like how it's more of a team-oriented skill. Its usefulness depends not just on the healer, but on the entire party. And that was what SQEX was really aiming for with the updated role skills and new utility skills given to tanks and DPS. Healing is not just about the healer. It never was, but now it's more apparent than ever. DPS need to stay in heal range. Tanks need to use cooldowns appropriately to reduce damage. Tanks should shield the party at the right time to reduce heal strain. And just like those examples, everyone needs to stay in Asylum to get the effect. It's not really any different than staying in Cure III range. And with the exception of running a few mechanics here and there, everyone should be in Cure III range. Most mechanics can even be scaled down to stay within Cure III and Asylum range without too much trouble. It's just a matter of players not moving more than they need to.

In my view, many of the "problems" with job skills in this game really boil down to players lacking the awareness to actually use them properly. That includes me sometimes too (looking back, I can't believe I dissed Plenary Indulgence. I also can't believe I used to hold the old Spear perpetually, though I maintain that it was a useful card as it was before). I don't feel that balancing the game around pugs and disorganized statics is really the best way to go. Since the tools are all there for pugs to clear. They just need to really sit down and think about how to use them. Having two healers at all is huge. If you stop and approach FFXIV content like you might approach a logic problem, you realize you have far more than you really need to clear the fight. Asylum may be a bit finicky to use, but using it at all is not necessary. If people don't use it properly in your static, teach them how to use it - they're your static after all. If they don't use it in pugs...? Well, then you have two choices: you either adapt and waste MP healing them because they didn't bother to stand in Asylum, or you can spite them and let them die then tell them to stand in Asylum next time if they don't want to die. The choice is up to you (and how frustrated you feel at any given point in time :S...)
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Grimoire Mogri
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    This is a nice idea, and it's not too unreasonable considering CU works this way too. I wouldn't say it needs to be nerfed though, WHM needs something strong, and right now it has nothing aside from Cure III, who's usefulness is questionable.

I don't really want it to be nerfed, but I don't want to add much more potency than it has currently either. The idea I had in mind was basically to divide some of the current field HoT potency into the HoT buff it would apply, effectively changing very little in terms of potency if you could stand in the bubble the full duration already, but adding far more utility, and a bit of a fading aspect to it as HoT buff ticks would still apply after the field was gone like CU does. Asylum is already really strong when you can use it, just not practical to use. This addition would give it more utility. I could see a minor buff to its potency too, but I don't think it would need that much more if you would be able to get close to Roused-Whispering Dawn level ticks while moving around and the opportunity to refresh them.
    (1)
    Last edited by Grimoire-M; 11-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Player
    Character
    Sharl Llyntine
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturniaUzuki View Post
    That's kind of a flawed way of looking at it. It may not feel "fair", but by that logic, every job would be exactly the same. In my opinion, Asylum as it is makes WHM more dynamic.
    I wouldn't call dealing with a cumbersome ability that's hardly worth it "dynamic".
    Again, I don't think Asylum needs a buff really, but it does feel outdated. CU does what it does, easier and more fluidly. Now if Asylum was unique and offered something really significant for the raid I can understand, but a simple regen bubble? I don't see any reason to make it so demanding to get close to max efficiency out of it. Why have the entire team stand in your bubble to tick up when an AST or SCH can do the exact same thing with no hassle at all?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nocturnia Uzuki
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    I wouldn't call dealing with a cumbersome ability that's hardly worth it "dynamic".
    Again, I don't think Asylum needs a buff really, but it does feel outdated. CU does what it does, easier and more fluidly. Now if Asylum was unique and offered something really significant for the raid I can understand, but a simple regen bubble? I don't see any reason to make it so demanding to get close to max efficiency out of it. Why have the entire team stand in your bubble to tick up when an AST or SCH can do the exact same thing with no hassle at all?
    Well, you see it as cumbersome. I see it as interesting. Using CU or Whispering Dawn is less satisfying for me, because it's just a click-and-done thing. Since I already enjoy optimizing fights to minimize necessary movement for casters and maintain maximum positional uptime for melee DPS, and since that optimization generally revolves around scaling down positioning to utilize boss midpoints and the properties of shapes, Asylum is fun for me to tie into my strategies.

A ground-based regen field is already unique. The issue is more about how it compares to CU and WD, as has been discussed here. While some are suggesting that Asylum be buffed somehow to make it easier to use, if it has to be changed, I'd rather keep its unique method of use and instead either buff its potency or nerf CU and WD. Buffing it's potency would make it broken overpowered, in my opinion, since it's already very strong, when you actually get the full potency out of it. I'd prefer looking at how to change WD and/or CU to make them less of a braindead skill to use, with awesome power o boot.

Personally, I'd say WD is fine as is. SCH has no other regen, and so it serves its purpose well. AST, on the other hand, got way too much of a good thing with the instant buff application changes. I'd rather see that changed instead, by perhaps reducing the actual regen duration to 8s or so, but letting it reset every tick, as before. This way, ASTs can drive-by CU if they want, but it doesn't last as long. If they want a longer regen effect, they'd need to spend a couple GCDs with the shield up. This would hurt their DPS, but it's a tradeoff for substantial healing at no MP cost. Alternatively, they always have the option of extending it as before (which was already incredibly potent, since it extended it to 23s). This would extend it to 18s, which would be plenty. If they skipped out on 1 GCD, they could get an extra 3s out of it, for a maximum total of 21s, which is similar to WD and Asylum.
    (2)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast