Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    So I took a more detailed look at your situation, OP, and I've seen a couple of things.

First, You want to let your gauge sit as close to 100 as possible, for as long as possible. I see that it rarely goes to 100, and that's not optimal because it means you're missing out on extra crit chance. That said, you only want to fell cleave or onslaught when you HAVE to, at 100 gauge. Even when you're at 100 gauge, if your next GCD can be heavy swing, use that first then FC/onslaught.

Second, you need to be more strict with your upheaval timings. I use it on the dot, exactly when it comes off CD. I notice you let upheaval sit on cooldown for about a second or two, but that adds up over time. This becomes a serious problem when you're using IR on cooldown cause it could lead to upheaval drifiting outside of IR's window, and that's exactly what happened in your best encounter.

Third, you need to be more careful with when you use onslaught, because similar to the previous issue, if you use onslaught just before an IR window, you miss out on a guaranteed direct crit, and for what? just to keep it on CD? This also applies to situations with pushes or knockbacks. If you mindlessly use onslaught on CD, you might miss out on when you need it for its utility. You can onslaught, or you can FC, in terms of dps there is no difference but we must keep in mind the importance of planning ahead and making sure we don't mess up because of mindless skill usage.

otherwise, you're pretty solid. I would just play it safer with storm's eye and keep refreshing it at 7 seconds instead of as close to 0, like we often would like to do to get more gauge from path, but realize that the extra 10% on a more consistent basis really adds up.
    (1)
    Last edited by Hierro; 11-05-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Player
    Character
    Blackiron Tarkus
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    A good rule of thumb is to FC when you have roughly 7 secs left on Infuriate before it comes of cd. If you are sitting on 100 gauge, Infuriate is at 30 sec before coming off cd, use a FC so you don't waste a 5 seconds. Infuriate is more on a 45 sec cd and with IR its closer to 30 sec cd. It's very fast so your entire rotation revolves around what time Infuriate is at and how much gauge you have.

Onslaught should only be used as a gap closer/IR and only if the gap makes you waste more than a gcd. Stepping out of aoes like midgars spin spin combo don't count. Pro tip for o10s. flip-spin combo if you are mt you can still hit the boss but be at max melee range.

Upheaval is only good for IR and those scenarios where you capped 100 gauge after doing maim and have SE already refreshed. Simply use upheaval and finish with SP to get back to 100. Unfortunately if you are mt Upheaval will very rarely bee at its full 300 potency since you won't be sitting at full hp.

Other than that party comp is definitely the biggest factor to WAR dps. I've been in parties where the AST threw me an enhanced Balance during my IR and NIN trick attack is up. I'm already seeing numbers past 25k in o9s and I only have the suzaku axe and food buffs. No pots for me cuz im broke.
    (0)
    Last edited by Marxam; 11-05-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxam View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to FC when you have roughly 7 secs left on Infuriate before it comes of cd. If you are sitting on 100 gauge, Infuriate is at 30 sec before coming off cd, use a FC so you don't waste a 5 seconds. Infuriate is more on a 45 sec cd and with IR its closer to 30 sec cd. It's very fast so your entire rotation revolves around what time Infuriate is at and how much gauge you have.

Onslaught should only be used as a gap closer/IR and only if the gap makes you waste more than a gcd. Stepping out of aoes like midgars spin spin combo don't count. Pro tip for o10s. flip-spin combo if you are mt you can still hit the boss but be at max melee range.

Upheaval is only good for IR and those scenarios where you capped 100 gauge after doing maim and have SE already refreshed. Simply use upheaval and finish with SP to get back to 100. Unfortunately if you are mt Upheaval will very rarely bee at its full 300 potency since you won't be sitting at full hp.

Other than that party comp is definitely the biggest factor to WAR dps. I've been in parties where the AST threw me an enhanced Balance during my IR and NIN trick attack is up. I'm already seeing numbers past 25k in o9s and I only have the suzaku axe and food buffs. No pots for me cuz im broke.
    Upheaval is good in any situation. Playing optimally means keeping it as close to on cooldown as possible. You want to be a swiss watch when it comes to hitting that button exactly 30 seconds since the previous use. It doesn't matter if your HP is low, it doesn't matter if slashing debuff or storm's eye buff fell-- if that skill is off cooldown, use it ASAP.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Blackiron Tarkus
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierro View Post
    Upheaval is good in any situation. Playing optimally means keeping it as close to on cooldown as possible. You want to be a swiss watch when it comes to hitting that button exactly 30 seconds since the previous use. It doesn't matter if your HP is low, it doesn't matter if slashing debuff or storm's eye buff fell-- if that skill is off cooldown, use it ASAP.
    Did someone do the numbers on how the ratio of potency:HP scales? I'm not denying you are right that in theory Upheaval needs to be used on cd but with my experiences at least I seem to not really have an option either because I drop combos due to mechanics and/or I'm 2 gcds from a dual FC before a boss jumps. I usually find myself weighing in the fact that I can either use Upheaval or wait 2 gcds for a FC. Upheaval during ToB is for sure mandatory an even more so with IR so that goes without saying. I pug through content and am o10s clear so I don't have the luxury of a static where I can be more consistent and optimal with how I play.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxam View Post
    Did someone do the numbers on how the ratio of potency:HP scales? I'm not denying you are right that in theory Upheaval needs to be used on cd but with my experiences at least I seem to not really have an option either because I drop combos due to mechanics and/or I'm 2 gcds from a dual FC before a boss jumps. I usually find myself weighing in the fact that I can either use Upheaval or wait 2 gcds for a FC. Upheaval during ToB is for sure mandatory an even more so with IR so that goes without saying. I pug through content and am o10s clear so I don't have the luxury of a static where I can be more consistent and optimal with how I play.
    At the very lowest HP, Upheaval will still do 100 potency. That matches the potency of onslaught exactly, which if you look back earlier in the thread, people have pointed out the very fact that an oGCD of that power still has considerable value. So, even in the worst case scenario where you use Upheaval after holmganging a tank buster, it's still better than not using it at all. You may be thinking "but I can still use it if I wait a few seconds to get topped off," but that's not exactly accurate, because as I explained earlier, the whole point is to be able to use Upheaval inside your 10-second IR window.

Easily you can lose an entire cast if you want to realign upheaval with IR, or even worse, have Upheaval drift outside that window, and that's the biggest reason why you want to keep it on a tight watch and slam the button when you can.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jack Blaine
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Thanks so much for all the help so far!
    Changed up my play style and I'm seeing good results!

The only issue I've had so far is when I hit 90 gauge and my next gcd is Storms Path, do I FC or Onslaught?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ziero Rehw-bidit
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBlaine View Post
    Thanks so much for all the help so far!
    Changed up my play style and I'm seeing good results!

The only issue I've had so far is when I hit 90 gauge and my next gcd is Storms Path, do I FC or Onslaught?
    If you won't need onslaught's gap closer for the next 15 seconds, you can onslaught or FC, makes no difference. Sometimes you notice specific phases end on certain GCDs so you can use either option so you end a phase either on a combo finisher, of FC.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2