Player
    Character
    Hex Pathcrosser
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 72

Griffin's Crossing

So I'm leveling up my miner on my alt character, and I'm doing leves in Coerthas, and come across Griffin's Crossing in the southeastern corner of the map. It's just a big, black, sturdy gate but I started wondering if it might be somehow tied to Gyr Abania (with the Griffin name and all). Does something happen here on another quest or why does this place exist?
    (0)
    "We want bunny suits for guys!" -- OK! ✅
    "We want Ishgard housing!" -- OK! ✅
    "We want Viera!" -- OK! ✅
    "We want Cloud's motorcycle!" -- OK! ✅
    "We want Blue Mage!"-- OK! ✅
    "We want the ability to earn past Feast rewards!" - HAHA no that's sacred.

Player
    Character
    Remedi Maxwell
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Apparently it was the entrance from the black shroud during 1.0
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Saleemius Arishiani
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedi View Post
    Apparently it was the entrance from the black shroud during 1.0
    Oh....I thought Ishgard and Coerthas didn't exist till 2.0 xD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ali Lifesaver
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    Griffin's crossing is a bridge that connects to Coerthas Eastern Lowlands. Right now Coerthas Eastern Lowlands is only accessible through the frontline map Fields of Glory (Shatter).

Under the influence of the lesser moon Dalamud, Nael van Darnus, legatus of the VIIth Legion, sought out and unearthed Allagan ruins in the eastern lowlands of Coerthas. Aided by the knowledge contained therein, he raised the very earth unto the heavens, and from this lofty perch did the White Raven nearly orchestrate the destruction of Eorzea.

The remnants of that mad plan still litter the frozen lowlands, as well as other ancient artifacts now laid bare. Though the powers that be are in agreement that Nael's data must be secured, they remain divided on the subject of how best to administer the region, which has prompted them to invoke the same laws which transformed Carteneau and Seal Rock into a battlefield. Where words fail, weapons speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSnakeXI1 View Post
    The city was inaccessible but the region existed, and it wasn't a snowy zone back then. This was the old map

Out of those only western highlands and central highlands remain fully accessible. Central lowlands seems to have been retconned out of the game with zero mention of it, eastern lowlands became Shatter and eastern highlands is only referenced by NPCs (I suspect a future Ishgard housing would be located here).
    (11)
    Last edited by alimdia; 10-23-2018 at 01:42 AM.

Player
    Character
    Lyon Polnareff
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    The Battle on the Big Bridge, the first trial in the Hildibrand questline, takes place on Griffin Crossing.

The lv. 30-50 bard quests also make mention of a "Battle of Griffin Crossing" between Gridanian and Ixali forces which took place over two decades ago. Jehantel, the bard questgiver, was involved, and the Ixal were victorious.
    (5)
    Last edited by Keever; 10-28-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Griffins are most prominently tied to Ala Mhigo, though they're not necessarily limited to Ala Mhigo. The last boss of Dusk Vigil is a Griffin and that's a dungeon nestled snugly within Ishgardian territory.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nyr Ardyne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    Griffins are most prominently tied to Ala Mhigo, though they're not necessarily limited to Ala Mhigo. The last boss of Dusk Vigil is a Griffin and that's a dungeon nestled snugly within Ishgardian territory.
    Funny bit there that makes me wonder if it was a coincidence of planned.

The end boss of the first dungeon of HW is a Griffon. And the final boss of the last story dungeon before Stormblood is....
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Prince Nuada
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSnakeXI1 View Post
    This is what Coerthas looked like in 1.0...

(4)

Player
    Character
    Fallen Angel
    World
    Seraph
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramesses View Post
    This is what Coerthas looked like in 1.0...

It was beautiful and so was the music!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Prince Nuada
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    It was beautiful and so was the music!
    Yes indeed it was very beautiful... used to be one of my favorite zones in the game. The music, the ambiance, the weather, the way Ishgard was right there yet so very far, the way the mountains felt ancient... everything. The first image above was of Falcon's Nest (there was also Owl's Nest I think) where players could talk to one of Roddard Ironheart's descendants. Roddard was the chap who charted the Eorzean maps... famous fellow.

The original Falcon's Nest (not the majestic fortress it is now) was a small hamlet that was difficult to reach back then because of the high level mobs (some areas had level 80 to 90 mobs I believe) and there also used to be a Guild sign on one of those buildings that made us think there will eventually be a "Shepherd's Class" in the future. I believe there were also Guild signs for Armourer and Leatherworker there and we used to think this might become a major crafting hub. Likewise, we thought Musketeer class would show up in Limsa. Heh... the fun times of speculating stuff back then.

Darnnit! Now I remember that this was one of the things I wanted to ask in the Fan festival Lore thread... if we will one day see Coerthas return to the way it used to be!
    (2)
    Last edited by Ramesses; 10-28-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast