Thread: Some Questions

Player

Some Questions

So I'm a long time player of FFXI (5yrs, Remora server) just recently got FFXIV after reading about that the game was improving (and hating SWTOR after waiting 8 months for it). I've been soloing and checking out most of the class's and have decided to go GLA/MRD and switching to PLD when the 1.21 hits. Just hit lvl 20 and I'm starting to have some questions about the gameplay mechanics so here they are...

1. In FFXI you could just "flag" yourself for a party or build one off a list of flagged people, might just be overlooking this but how do I "flag" myself and whats the easiest/fastest way to find a party besides shouting in Ul'dah?

2. Don't understand the "optimal lvl equipment", I know I can equip any armor with a penalty but is the penalty a big hit or am I just missing out on the bonus's this equipment provides?

Thanks for the help in advance

Player
    Character
    Eyriwaen Zirhmusyn
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Under "search" you can set your own search options, including job you wish to show up as, and whether or not you are seeking a party.

As far as optimal gear goes, that's actually not quite right. Optimal level is only on older items, which are for the most part inferior to begin with, and cannot have materia attached either. The penalty for equipping items with an optimal level above yours is quite severe... and honestly, you shouldn't be equipping dated gear in the first place (Except for accessories, which are getting non-dated items in the next patch. Once the new items come out, you'll probably want to use them instead of the old). All of the newer items have Required levels instead, which means you absolutely must be that level or higher to use it.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Eruantien Draugole
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Urthdigger View Post
    As far as optimal gear goes, that's actually not quite right. Optimal level is only on older items, which are for the most part inferior to begin with, and cannot have materia attached either. The penalty for equipping items with an optimal level above yours is quite severe... and honestly, you shouldn't be equipping dated gear in the first place (Except for accessories, which are getting non-dated items in the next patch. Once the new items come out, you'll probably want to use them instead of the old). All of the newer items have Required levels instead, which means you absolutely must be that level or higher to use it.
    Not true some new gear still has optimal level, woolen cowl is an example, raptorskin jerkin is another.

To the Question the hit for gear that is allowed to be equipped under the optimal level is quite severe, for example you do not get any of the bonus stats (str+ mnd+ etc) all you get is very harshly reduced def, mag def etc.
    (2)
    Last edited by Eruantien; 02-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Player
    Character
    Geesus Ravenheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Yeah you do take a major hit on not being the correct level for equipment. Mine as well wear lower gear in that case to at least get something rather than nothing.
    (0)