Player
    Character
    M'leineya Leoh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90

Commendations are just so broken

A lot of times when doing a dungeon we'll be 3/4 players already in a party, so the random guy will get commendations from the rest of us. Then we'll exit and discover none of us were given one. It's become standard habit now of players not caring to commend or only commending tanks or healers. DPS rarely get commendations even when they perform well and give advice through the dungeon. Even a bad player who fails at mechanics and is aggressively rude towards other party members could just don a tank job and farm commendations just for being a tank.

In all honesty the commendation system might as well not be there. It's heavily biased, it doesn't prove anything and is rarely used properly.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 09-05-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Gaius van Baelsar: Nor is this unknown to your masters. Which prompts the question: what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Player
    Character
    Kay Oss
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    I don't see your point, all your comendations are shared on your character, doesn't matter which class/job you play. Why would it matter, game doesn't list on which class/job you did earn that commendations. Play Healer/Tank class/job if you want to farm commendations. It doesn't represent your skill nor it should.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    M'leineya Leoh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwack View Post
    I don't see your point, all your comendations are shared on your character, doesn't matter which class/job you play. Why would it matter, game doesn't list on which class/job you did earn that commendations. Play Healer/Tank class/job if you want to farm commendations. It doesn't represent your skill nor it should.
    Commendations were added to highlight the good players from the bad players, or at least that was the concept at the time. If you were a good player you got commendations, if you were a bad player you got none. In early days people would see how many commendations you earned to know if others thought highly of you and judge if you were a good team player. But now unless you have a tank or a healing job you rarely get commendations and nobody cares how many you've earned/not earned since commendations say nothing about the kind of player you are. It's a defunct system that no longer serves its original purpose.
    (1)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 09-05-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    Gaius van Baelsar: Nor is this unknown to your masters. Which prompts the question: what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Think that went out the window with the challenge log. Just commend the first five names get the reward and then just gtfo out of whatever instance your in as fast as possible
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Leon Reddas
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 77
    The commendation system is quite old and could do with a revamp but wouldnt say it's broken. Also some players will comm others based on their glamour or even their name, isn't always related to what happened in actual combat.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Kay Oss
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Well, it was defunct at the start, because it's a subjective opinion on who's good/bad.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ilyrian Silvermoon
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    It is all totally pointless, on paper at least, and the reward is not impressive... but I'd rather have it in the game than not as it gives some semblance of people being somewhat nice to each other. Maybe.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    M'leineya Leoh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    The commendation system is quite old and could do with a revamp but wouldnt say it's broken. Also some players will comm others based on their glamour or even their name, isn't always related to what happened in actual combat.
    Yeah, it certainly needs to be revamped and to be more fairer to all players involved and not just the 1 and to have some reason to credit/be credited other than the give 5 comms achievement. Right now it's pretty useless.
    (1)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 09-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    Also some players will comm others based on their glamour or even their name, isn't always related to what happened in actual combat.
    Or based just on who's there. Often, by the time the commendation window becomes available, half the party has left already and can't be commended. (I'm guessing most players must have faster load times than I do, based on how often this happens.)

My own priorities for commendations generally go in the order:
    1) being helpful
    2) being friendly
    3) being good at your job
    4) trivial stuff like cool looking gear, or a name I like
    5) other DPS when I'm DPS, tank when I'm healer, healer when I'm tank

but if the player I'd planned to commend is gone before I can do so, then whoever is left gets it.
    (6)

Character
    Shinigami Zetta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    What would really be nice if after battle give us a break down of how each player performed.

Example;

Total DMG ; dealt, taken, cured

Successful stuns or interruptions by player

Overall contribution to Success.

I tend to keep these things in mind based on what I perceive while playing and judge players this way. If I think people don't know their job, make it harder for the groups I just don't comm.
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast