Player
    Character
    Ferris Straynge
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80

Chocobo racing - Can't win any freaking races!

Okay, so I've been doing Chocobo Racing for a while. I'm on my G6 Chocobo and for the last few generations I can barely win a single match. About the ONLY time I can win anything is right after I retire my lv. 40 chocobo and get a new one and then I can win 1 to 4 matches before I go the rest of the levels without a single win. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal or am I just that bad? I bred my last Chocobo 9 times and he has pretty good stats: 4 and 5 stars in everything except cunning which is 3. He didn't get the Hereditary I wanted Sta II but the only ones that I bred that had it all had one stars in sta or End so I got rid of those.

So this time around I thought I'd buy the expensive racing items to get my stats up 10 points or so each time and I still can't win any. It's just really getting frustrating that it takes at least 60 plus matches to get my 10 wins in each week. I don't know what else to do at this point besides just quit or start over with a g1 chocobo just so I can get my weekly wins in. Between two generatiosn of Chocbos I now have 5 whole wins. At thsi point I've got to race another generation or two of chocobo's just to get thsoe 10 wins. It's getting a little ridiculous. Any advice would be appreciated.
    My current stats are:
    Speed 180, Accel: 178, End: 210, STA: 244, Cunning: 111 R140
    (0)
    Last edited by Straynge; 08-25-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ferris Straynge
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Guess I need to just concentrate on Segoli Road only. Did that one and finally got another win. I seem to run out of Stamina on every other race so even though it's super boring I guess I'll just do this one. It's so weird, all my previous generation Chocbo's could finish each race but the higher I get the more likely I am to run out of Stamina. Increased Stamina II makes a massive difference. I need to make sure I get that with every new generation I guess. Thinking about just starting over and breeding my own chocobo's instead of just buying one for the covering. It's probably going to take forever but that's about the only way I can think to make sure I not only get decent stats but also the hereditary abilities I want. Too much randomness when buying chocobo's to breed. Heavy REsistence IV or Head Start = not for the win lol.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rymmrael Bhaldraelwyn
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Do not, I repeat, do not ignore cunning! In a straight, flat race like Sagoli it is not as necessary (also why you are doing better on that track) but on both Tranquil Paths and Costa del Sol cunning is more important than endurance. Especially if you plan to run increased stam as your hereditary.

About that in particular, there are three ranks of it not just two. To get the third rank you have to do the challenge races to unlock the training manuals at the tack and feed vendor. Alternatively, if you do not like your chocobo's abilities, you can keep untraining your bird's learned one (can't do anything about hereditary) and every time he/she levels up, a new, random ability will be learned. Repeat until you get one you like. Then when you retire it, you can choose to keep that one as your hereditary. Still a 50/50 chance which parents' hereditary the baby will get, but it definitely will help you narrow down your possibilities. Lethe water from the tack and feed vendor will untrain it for you.

The reason you are running out of stamina so quickly now is because the faster your bird goes, the more stamina you burn. The stam/endurance you get as you level up does not keep pace with the speeds you reach as you level, so the higher you go, the bigger the gap gets and the more careful you have to be. At higher levels (and therefore faster races) stamina management is crucial and you can't expect to sprint the whole race and win unless you get extremely lucky on power-ups. Again, in Sagoli this is less of a problem because it is flatter and shorter.

For my G9 bird (I run a max cunning build with speedy recovery 3 and cure 3) in TP and CdS I usually fight for the lead for the first part of the race and then once I am ahead of the traffic jam I pull up my bird and go just fast enough to retain the lead for the middle part. I push the end depending on where my stam is at that point. When I was breeding I bought the cheaper food and usually stopped training altogether around lvl 30 or so to save MGP and still managed to win fairly regularly. Granted, G7 and 8 I fed to 35, but you can still fudge it a little and do well enough.

Hope it helps!

Here's my baby for reference-
    (3)
    Last edited by Rymm; 08-27-2018 at 09:47 AM.

~ My FF14 IG account ~
    https://www.instagram.com/rymmrael/
    ~ Interesting FF14 fan creations to check out ~
    https://aetherflowmedia.com
    http://www.eorzeasntm.org/

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I noticed this effect as well when I got into the higher grades of chocobo. I came to the conclusion that it was because I wasn't bothering to train my birds. If you're like me and you're trying to be stingy with your MGP, you may not have bothered to train any of your birds up to this point and done just fine. However, if you're having trouble winning now, I would suggest training it up some to boost its stats. The difference between a trained and untrained chocobo gets higher as the chocobo grade increases.

"But won't training my chocobo just cause me to race against harder and harder chocobos?"
    No! This is the misconception I had for a while. The races you're allowed into are based on your chocobo's RATING. Training your chocobo does not affect rating.
    (2)
    Last edited by Raldo; 08-30-2018 at 05:46 AM.