Player
    Character
    Alsbet Xa'thel
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80

Materia things

I've been thinking about materia. The use(less?) kind. Vitality, mind, all the elemental ones. Are they viable in any point? Like say I want to have so much hp when tanking, a white mage will waste all his mp just to get me at half health. Problem is, I can't meld anymore vit since tank gear is capped already.

So at what point/situation would these orbs of stats be valuable outside of selling it to the enclave for quick cash?

I could be super wrong about all of this too so feel free to correct me if I am.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Naria Starcatcher
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I've used Vit melds before as a healer for savage. Weren't elemental materia taken out of the game? For Dex materia I normally just trade them to the goblin for a chance at a better materia rather than vendor them, or you can use them to help spiritbind items.
    (0)
    Last edited by Naria; 08-21-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aster Enelysion
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    Well, elemental ones can no longer be gained, to my knowledge, since they took away the elemental aspect of the main game. So there's that at least.

As for the primary stat materias, outside of aiding normal quality crafted gear or feeding Mutamix's rng machine, only Strength has any use, and that's for tank accessories. So yeah, for a lot of people who do neither of these things, the primary stat materia seems like a waste of space or coding. So... I dunno. That's part of the state of the materia system as we know it, along with how long it takes to grind out crafting materia, only for it all to explode and make Michael Bay tell the overmeld system to calm down a bit. The whole thing would need to be revamped for us to see any additional, worthy change to the use or existence of primary stat materia.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Willig Rowde
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90

Transmute

Don't forget Materia Transmutation at Mutamix.
    Here's a tip, which I think I've posted here before...

You cannot get back ANY of the TYPE of materia included in the transmutation.

Thus, since materia transmutation requires 5 materia to do, if you transmute:

1 strength
    1 dexterity
    1 vitality
    1 intelligence
    1 mind

then you cannot receive any stat materia back as a result. Elemental materia have also been completed removed from the loot table so you can only get back:

red(det, crit, dh), yellow(tenacity, piety), purple(sks, sps), blue(crafting) or green(gathering) materia as a result.

This rule holds true when mixing grades as well...
    However, I don't know the exact percentages for grade mixing.

For Example,
    If you transmute everything at the same grade, you are guaranteed to get another materia of the same grade (and small chance to upgrade if possible).

If you use all materia VI, you will get a VI back. If you use all materia V, you most likely get a V back with a small chance to upgrade to materia VI.

However, if you use 4 VI and one V... you will most likely get a VI, but there will be small chance that you get a V instead. Your chance to get a "downgrade" seems to increase as more VI are replaced with V.

But, depending on materia costs and availability, if you were to transmute say...

1 strength V
    1 dexterity VI
    1 vitality VI
    1 intelligence VI
    1 mind VI

This would still guarantee that you do not get any stat materia back, but with a small chance to receive a V instead of a VI.
    (3)
    Last edited by Rowde; 08-21-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Player
    Character
    Alsbet Xa'thel
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    I didn't know about that. I just tossed random materia hoping to something good like crafting or gathering ones. So many wasted...

Anyhow going back to the elemental materia for a moment. I'm really curious about the stats in them. I understand they do not drop anymore, but why have tier 6 of the elemental ones? I keep wondering about this due to one video I saw a while back. A guy tested wind materia to see if it affected how much damage one would receive. He found out that he did get hit for less with a very small chance to be completely immune to wind damage.

So can it even be possible to have so much resistance to an element that you are basically in an infinite "Hallowed Ground" to said element? Granted this was back in "Heavensward" and so much has changed by now but still I wonder about it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Febreealle Goldlyonse
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    No, you can't ever be completely immune. Back in the days when we could actually see our elemental stats, the water puddles in Syrcus Tower during the Scylla fight would actually raise your Fire Resistance stat while you were standing in them (you could see the change on your Character screen). If I recall, the actual stat boost was 500 additional Fire Resistance, and that reduced all damage by ~75%. I never personally experienced the %chance for complete damage negation that your friend noticed, since in a group setting shielding effects would have made 0 damage situations a common thing. I suppose if you really wanted to test this, you could see if the swimsuit gears still have + Fire Resistance on them and go spend a couple hours having an elemental hit you? I'd expect that the Resistance stats probably still exist, they've just taken away our ability to view them.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    As they simplify stats, materia become more and more useless.

Before ARR, stats were more like they were in FFXI. STR was the damage stats for all melee, DEX affected accuracy and crit rate, VIT affected defense, MND was magic defense, etc. So all stats had a use for most jobs. When ARR came out, there was no longer a use for MND/INT for melee and such. As patches continued, they restricted us with what we could meld such that stats like STR/DEX/INT/MND cannot be melded on equipment for jobs that use said stats. Why would a melee want to meld MND or INT, or why would a mage want to meld STR or DEX? They wouldn't. Really the only purposeful melds for main stats are VIT for HP for raid progression, and STR on tank accessories.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsbet View Post
    A guy tested wind materia to see if it affected how much damage one would receive. He found out that he did get hit for less with a very small chance to be completely immune to wind damage.

So can it even be possible to have so much resistance to an element that you are basically in an infinite "Hallowed Ground" to said element?
    It may have been at one point, but now that there's no such thing as wind resistance at all, nor any other element, it's not. You cannot increase a stat that doesn't even exist in the game. All elemental resistances were removed in patch 4.2.

In addition to still being tradeable to Mutamix, though, I'm pretty sure those leftover elemental materia still count for the spiritbonding and desynth bonuses that rely simply on whether materia (of any type) is applied to an item rather than on what stats that materia gives. (Each materia added to an item increases its chances for successful desynthesis by I believe it's 5%. Materia also increases the rate at which gear gains spiritbond, but I don't know by how much.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Niwashi; 08-22-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Player
    Character
    Calene Ntor
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    i managed my first 5-point overmelds today on my Onishi hat and robe. Felt good and I earned my Gambler's Crown! Got some good rolls, every slot I overmelded was single-digit tries.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Waffles O'malley
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90
    while not exactly materia related, i remember once back in ARR while running about doing zodiac quest stuff i managed to aggro one of those demons in CCH (near where the Xephatol dungeon is now). While it was attacking me (i was running from it so it'd deaggro/tether) i got the animation for when a mob gets hit while tethering with an "Immune" prompt on my character. aparently i proc'd some kind of resistance. only time it ever happened.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast