Player
    Character
    Eldaena Vonxandria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70

Are parsers legal now?

I'm not sure if I put this in the correct location, and forgive me that if I didn't. However, this is a question I'd like to know the answer to. The reason why I ask is because it is a third party program, though I know it isn't really hurting anyone (unlike some other third party programs.) The information that players are getting by parsing though is information that I think should be allowed to be obtained by anyone that was interested in it. Myself and my linkshell mates haven't used one because we do not wish to go against the ToS in any fashion. And yet, everyone on the forums seems to openly talk about them. Players in game also seem to openly talk about them. I was just curious if they are allowed to be used without putting anyone's account into question. Thank you for your time and I hope someone can help me with this. =)

P.S. Would love a rep response to this. =)

Edit:

The use of third party programs or tools in FINAL FANTASY XIV is strictly prohibited in that these devices permit players to enjoy benefits at the expense of others. The use of these tools or programs in FINAL FANTASY XIV, which have the function of automising certain actions continuously, is like playing the game absently in a robotic maner, that which is also against the rules of FINAL FANTASY XIV. Besides this and not limited to, players can, over the course of an investigation on their playing the game while absent, be arrested by a Game Master and should in such a case obey the Game Master's instructions. To act against the Game Master's instructions is considered a violation and can be followed by disciplinary mesures against the account of the player at fault.

The following activities are equally prohibited:
    •The modification, analysis, integration and reverse engineering of game data - Posted by Youmukon
    (0)
    Last edited by Eldaena; 02-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    Parsers are a third party tool, so they are still against the ToS.

That said, there isn't really any way for them to detect most types of parsers. People will always openly defy the ToS unless SE cracks down. Don't expect that anytime soon; right now, I don't think SE can afford to lose paying customers.

Retracted. Keep reading.
    (0)
    Last edited by Raldo; 02-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Player
    Character
    Eldaena Vonxandria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Parsers are a third party tool, so they are still against the ToS.

That said, there isn't really any way for them to detect most types of parsers. People will always openly defy the ToS unless SE cracks down. Don't expect that anytime soon; right now, I don't think SE can afford to lose paying customers.
    Yeah, I kind of got the drift this is how it was. So, I'm surprised how everyone talks about it all the time if it's still against the ToS. I guess for the same reason people still bot, I suppose. Because they can get away with it (or SE doesn't care)? lol
    (0)
    Last edited by Eldaena; 02-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Player
    Character
    Duuude Bismarck
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 74
    Actually, the game (by design) exports your logs to a text file on your local machine. Once its in the text file, any type of parser which only interacts with it is perfectly legal, as it is operating under the microsoft (etc) user agreement tied to that file format, and not acting as a 3rd party app running in tandem with ffxiv.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    I went and looked up the ToS.
    Using third party programs or tools in FINAL FANTASY XIV is strictly prohibited since they allow users to gain an unfair advantage over other players.
    What is considered an unfair advantage is up for debate, but I'm inclined to agree with Duuude007. I can't see very many people interpreting a parser as an unfair advantage. Note: One of the BG parsers supposedly reads the data in RAM, so that one may be technically against the ToS, but /shrug.

I retract my previous post on the matter. I'm sure this is one of those grey areas where SE won't do anything about it, but certainly won't actively support it.
    (1)
    Last edited by Raldo; 02-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Player
    Character
    Eldaena Vonxandria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I went and looked up the ToS.

What is considered an unfair advantage is up for debate, but I'm inclined to agree with Duuude007. I can't see very many people interpreting a parser as an unfair advantage. Note: One of the BG parsers supposedly reads the data in RAM, so that one may be technically against the ToS, but /shrug.

I retract my previous post on the matter. I'm sure this is one of those grey areas where SE won't do anything about it, but certainly won't actively support it.
    They wouldn't actively support it even though it appears a large part of the community is using it? Again, I am interested in this information (such as damage dealt, hp healed, etc), but if there is even a slight chance it would be considered against the ToS I'm not going to use it. I also heard that there was a Blue Garter interview of some kind with "SE?" where they openly talked about parsers? I would just really love clarification on this because it still says firstly and foremost that Third Party programs or tools in FFXIV are strictly prohibited, but I understand that it is probably some gray area. But gray area or not, I won't risk my account on it. Rep please help us with this! ; ^ ;
    (0)
    Last edited by Eldaena; 02-02-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Player
    Character
    Boye Fran
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Who was ever suspended or banned for using a parser? Grow a pair. I bet you wouldn't even take a music data file and exchange it for another because you liked the music better. Teacher might catch you!

Them catching you is about as likely as god watching you while you pleasure yourself. It's not even doing anything that exploits game mechanics or puts you at an advantage.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Micah Alvyrsin
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    idk how serious se takes 3rd pt programs anymore. ppl in xi talk openly of windower, post vids of themselves using windower and the whole shebang and no one is banned for it in ages. same with botting and rmt. I think se has just learned its inevitable and kindda threw their hands up.

SE reps are always quiet on the subject and if they do make a comment its that its against the tos and players will be banned but their threats are generally empty
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eldaena Vonxandria
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceyBruceyBangBang View Post
    Who was ever suspended or banned for using a parser? Grow a pair. I bet you wouldn't even take a music data file and exchange it for another because you liked the music better. Teacher might catch you!

Them catching you is about as likely as god watching you while you pleasure yourself. It's not even doing anything that exploits game mechanics or puts you at an advantage.
    First of all, I'm a female, so you think you could take a few less masculine/anti-feminine personal attacks at me? Second of all, your defensive stance on this must mean you use them and take offense to my questioning. I'm not attacking you. I'm not attacking anyone. I just want to know if it's okay for me to use one. I'm not getting on anyone's back, so I would expect the same in kind. (Also, SE "could" consider it an advantage if they did infact not want players to have that information. But that is up to them, not you, and certainly not me.)
    (3)
    Last edited by Eldaena; 02-02-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Player
    Character
    Griss Stilgar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Parsers just look at log files and compile the relevant data mechanically. You could feasibly do the exact same thing manually with a pencil and piece of paper.. Its not modifying or interacting with the client at all. there for technically not breaking the tos.

and yes bg did get a interview with yoshida during his big fan sight interview tour. they talked on many subjects including but not limited to ui additions check it out here included is the raw audio of the interview!
    (2)
    An Aware, Informed, and Critical community is vital for the success of a game.
    ~ John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast