Player
    Character
    Aebel Cauthon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80

Which class?

Hello everyone! I have played FF14 on and off for several years now, playing for a few months before taking several months off. I'm looking to change that and just play more consistently. I purchased Stormblood yesterday and I want to pick a class to main but I don't know which to choose. I have a few at 60 but with the changes to the classes in 4.0 I'm not sure if I want to continue with them or just level a new class. I'm the type of person who likes to play classes that are sought after for groups, I'm a veteran of MMO's so I feel comfortable in pretty much any role and I like to dedicate time to mastering my main class. I have a thing for playing support style classes (mostly because they are generally the last thing other people want to play) but I'm not against playing any other role. So my question is, what class do you guys think I should play based on classes that are harder to find for your groups? Before people post to just play what you like, I have a real hard time playing something when I dont feel useful no matter how the class plays. Also I'm on the Leviathan server if that helps!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eve Knight
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Everything is useful. Healers and tanks tend to be more in demand for groups. So if you like support for any reason other than scarcity, it sounds like any of the healers are for you. =)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lubu Mykono
    World
    Phantom
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Bard is the most utility driven DPS, it has tons of songs and stuff that contribute to utility.
    Ninja is the most utility driven of the melee DPS, it has trick attack, a dps buff, and some aggro management tools.
    Red Mage is great at progs with progression/heals/revives in raids and in some of the newer content like HoH and Eureka.

That's just DPS. Really every job has a "niche" utility unless your Black Mage or Samurai. If you want quick queues go tank, a bit more complexity healer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    I'shtola Maqa
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Welcome fellow Leviathan player. Good suggestions above but i will say unless you have a group to run with you queue times as dps can be rather long for lots of the content. That is where being a healer or Tank you would not need to wait so long.
    Ninja, Bard and Dragoon are all 3 good jobs that bring decent damage and great utility and groups always want at least one of them to raid.
    Ninja with mudras and depending on your connection can be annoying at times but Bard has always been the best support while doing very good damage so that may be the job for you.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aebel Cauthon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    Thanks for the advice guys. Bard is something I had been eyeing, and I played a Machinist a lot in HW because it had the same kind of support as Bard at the time but I preferred the aesthetic. However I've seen that with the class changes in 4.0 Machinist is basically a regular dps that can restore mp and tp, is that correct or does it still offer support abilities similar to the Bard?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    I'shtola Maqa
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I have machinist @ 70 but have not played it much. It does offer other forms of support is my understanding but Bard still has the better support.
    Not too many Machinists out but hopefully someone with better knowledge can answer better
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crimson Law
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I've not yet played BRD or MCH, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that BRD offers slightly better support utility while MCH tends to be able to do slightly better personal damage. Both should be quite viable for any content you do really, so it's mostly a matter of which of the two styles you'd prefer.
    (0)