Player
    Character
    Villan Elle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 70

PS4 Controller Limitations....

Am wondering if there are any other shortcuts or devices to help minimize the number of controller skill configurations on PS4, or if the devs would consider 'combo stacking' skills for PVE like they do for PVP. Right now I have the base 16 skill configuration, and then the two (L2 > R2; R2 > L2) shortcuts to other configurations, but the real limitation is when you need to hit a combo when moving which requires all skills to be on the buttons as opposed to the directional tabs since it's nearly impossible to move your character and attack with the directional tabs since you have to take your left hand off of the L3 stick to push them. Are there macros that could help? Any advice/recommendations appreciated (noting 'get a PC' is not really an option at this point....).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Zhenif Amberry
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    try enabling the double tap RT+RT LT+LT also this won't help much but I like to put my instant casts on my D pad and weaponskills/spells on buttons for the most part, put your mudras on LT+RT

(1)

Player
    Character
    Cain Alushaun
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 78
    Quote Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
    Am wondering if there are any other shortcuts or devices to help minimize the number of controller skill configurations on PS4, or if the devs would consider 'combo stacking' skills for PVE like they do for PVP. Right now I have the base 16 skill configuration, and then the two (L2 > R2; R2 > L2) shortcuts to other configurations, but the real limitation is when you need to hit a combo when moving which requires all skills to be on the buttons as opposed to the directional tabs since it's nearly impossible to move your character and attack with the directional tabs since you have to take your left hand off of the L3 stick to push them. Are there macros that could help? Any advice/recommendations appreciated (noting 'get a PC' is not really an option at this point....).
    I have to admit, I love my PS4. However at least once every time I play and have difficulty with the HUD or performing abilities I think "shit, should I just use a keyboard and mouse?"
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Avatre Drakone
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I tend to shift how I'm holding the controller if need be to hit those other skills. Even when using the L2>R2/R2>L2 combinations. You can also enable to double tap L2/R2 to access even more skills that way in addition to the L2>R2/R2>L2. It's under the same setting as the Expanded Controls.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Blackiron Tarkus
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Macros are the only solution unfortunately unless you fully design a UI layout and map buttons. For me I had to remap all my buttons so that they have a pattern. For example, on all my tanks:

X > Square > Triangle = Enmity combo (regardless of tank job).
    X > Circle > Triangle/Square = DPS combo

Using the example above here is what all three tanks enmity combos would look like:

WAR - Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block
    PLD - Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone
    DRK - Hard Slash > Spinning Slash > Power Slash

They all have different actions but because the follow the same route muscle memory will soon kick and I instinctively know that X, Square, Triangle is my enmity combo regardless of if I play WAR, PLD or DRK. Choices like this make a job that you play more coherent and fluid since you won't spend most of your time looking at your crossbar and more time getting those positional's and dodging mechanics. You should also aim to have max 2 sets of crossbars for dps (32 buttons) and a max of 3 sets for tank and healers (48 buttons).

I follow a very similar pattern for my DPS jobs and I use other design tricks like always making Down on the R2 cross bar be the job's aoe attack or, in my case since I main WAR, Overpower. I also map Inner Release, Fell cleave and Decimate to Triangle, Square and X respectively on the L2 cross bar. That way I can still move while activating Inner Release and immediately start spamming Fell Cleave or Decimate. If I set Fell Cleave to Up then I would not be able to Fell Cleave and move at the same time since I need to press the D-pad and move with the left analog stick at the same time. A good rule of thumb that I use is that: all weapon skills are mapped to face buttons and off-gcd are mapped to directional buttons. That way you spend most of your time on the face buttons and only have to tap the D-Pad occasionally for a buff but make it work for you. I'm sure my Fell Cleave example is proof of that.

I also have it set to "Hold" and I don't use the extended crossbars. I just tap L2 or R2 to switch between left or right cross bar and then scroll between sets via R1. It works for me and has effectively made me faster and able to handle 3 sets of cross bars. Coupled with the design choices I made via the example above I never have to think about combos since muscle memory will always start at X for any combo. Needless to say it took me a good 2 months in 2.0 to figure this out and almost the entirety of 2.0 series to perfect it. Now when a new patch comes in I just simply place the new abilities where I think it feels good, similar to how I placed Fell Cleave, and I'm set. It literally only takes me an hour each job now to figure out an optimal button layout. You have to quite literally think like a designer and figure out how the button placements work, does it make sense and is it easy to understand.

As for macros try to limit it, especially as dps, since optimal play requires you to have access to all your abilities at all times. Macros can also be finicky, since the line might be cancelled out by another action effectively messing up the macro in the first place. The only time I found macros useful is for healers since I macro an entire L2 cross bar to just Cure or Cure II <p1-p8>. Using that set up I only have to press a button to heal anyone I want in my party without having to scroll through the party list.
    (3)
    Last edited by Marxam; 08-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Player
    Character
    Villan Elle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenyen View Post
    try enabling the double tap RT+RT LT+LT also this won't help much but I like to put my instant casts on my D pad and weaponskills/spells on buttons for the most part, put your mudras on LT+RT

Thanks - I haven't played around much with the double tap configuration; will give that a try!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Villan Elle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxam View Post
    Macros are the only solution unfortunately. For me I had to remap all my buttons so that they have a pattern. For example, on all my tanks:

X > Square > Triangle = Enmity combo (regardless of tank job).
    X > Circle > Triangle/Square = DPS combo

I also follow a very similar pattern for my DPS jobs and I use other design tricks like always making Down on the R2 cross bar be the job's aoe attack or, in my case since I main WAR, map Inner Release, Fell cleave and Decimate to Triangle, Square and X respectively on the L2 cross bar. That way I can still move while activating Inner Release and immediately start spamming Fell Cleave or Decimate. I also have it set to "Hold" so I just tap L2 or R2 then scroll between sets via R1. It works for me and has effectively made me faster and able to handle 3 sets of cross bars. Coupled with the design choices I made via the example above I never have to think about combos since muscle memory will always start at X for any combo.
    Well, for WAR, DRK, NIN, SAM, and BLM, I feel like I can get by with the L2 > R2, R2 > L2 swap mechanic but I'm leveling a DRG now and I feel like I need to hit a lot more skills while moving (especially with all the jumps). Thanks for the tips though! Very helpful!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Villan Elle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 70
    And while I'm here, any tips or macros that help with targeting? I go into the CONFIG menu and see the options there, but no matter what I select, or which filters I use, I find myself going nuts in the 72 player Front Line battles. For one, I can't select a filter that will allow for targeting of the Crystals in Shatter, and I would kill to be able to attack/engage the closest enemy without having to toggle through every enemy player on the map. Sigh.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zhenif Amberry
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    And while I'm here, any tips or macros that help with targeting? I go into the CONFIG menu and see the options there, but no matter what I select, or which filters I use, I find myself going nuts in the 72 player Front Line battles. For one, I can't select a filter that will allow for targeting of the Crystals in Shatter, and I would kill to be able to attack/engage the closest enemy without having to toggle through every enemy player on the map. Sigh.
    Limit what you can see, hold your L2 or R2 and click l1 or r1 to cycle whats in view
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Thyn'a Sindyrl
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    it's nearly impossible to move your character and attack with the directional tabs since you have to take your left hand off of the L3 stick to push them.
    If I need to keep moving while I need to do something with directionals, I just use my right thumb on the left thumbstick instead. You shouldn't need to be moving that long between clicking whatever is on that side and then moving your left thumb back.

I usually keep all my cool downs on the left side, or combos that I need to use less often.

As for Shatter, I don't PVP much anymore, but I just use the mouse pad to target crystals since they don't move. Also, when you're trying to target something make sure your camera and character are facing it, you'll be more likely to target it.

I can't remember what I have my filters set to and the maint is going, but you should be able to prioritize things pretty easily in the menus.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast