Player
    Character
    Valorien Lyonnaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 30

Leveling Tips/RP FC on Mateus

Hi, all! New player here. I've just hit 30 and unlocked WHM. I am wondering if I should continue on until max level as WHM or should I be doing other classes on the side to be more effective? How does this usually work? Also should I be leveling crafting as well? If so should I just do everything or is there a particular set of crafting skills that are best for WHM?

Also, I am looking for a RP FC on Mateus. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know

Thanks in advance!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    It is really up to you if you want to level several classes/jobs in parallell or if you want to concentrate on just your main job.

Same for crafting and gathering - it is optional, but many people enjoy it.
    If you do decide to get into crafting, then it is strongly recommended that you level up all of the crafting and gathering classes. Start by getting each of them to level 15 - for the cross class skills. After that try to keep them all at about the same level - that way they can share much gear, and the items you will need from other classes can be crafted by them.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    So the answers to everything you asked are basically the same - its up to you. Some people dont like it when their level gets higher then the level of the story theyre playing, so they might level a 2nd(or more) class to spread their exp around. Other people are fine with getting ahead and dont see the need. Some people will advise that you should play one of each role so you can understand combat from all sides, other people are fine with just knowing their own specialty very well. So it comes down to personal preference. Theres no penalty for experimenting with other classes, but theres also no requirement.

As for crafting, it has its advantages. Being able to make your own gear on demand means that you always theoretically have access to fairly up to date equipment(note, the best equipment in game isnt often crafted but it can be viable). It means having a use for all the crafting mats you get while fighting monsters(these rarely sell for much, so this isnt a huge benefit). It means having a reliable way to make loads of gil(though this does require effort and time). It means you can repair your own gear, even in dungeons(and repair it to above 100% durability so it will last longer). It means you can sometimes attach extra materia to your gear(its a lot of work to get someone else to do this for you). Being able to make your own food and potions when the exact stuff you want isnt for sale(or isnt priced to your liking) can be nice too. Of course, crafting has disadvantages too. Getting really good at it takes time, a bit of study, and some practice. Leveling it up takes either a lot of time(and a little gil) or a lot of gil(and some time). And again, the best gear is often either bought with special currencies or found in dungeons/raids.

So with that said, if you wanted to try crafting my advice is typically to take any one class and level it up to 15 just to see if you like how the system plays in game(a lot of healer gear is made by leatherworker or weaver, so either is a fine choice). This takes a small amount of gil(couple thousand typically) and about 45 mins of time. Go to the guild of the class you want to learn, take the initiation quest, then use the guild's material supplier shopkeeper and craft one of each item in the crafting log(stopping for class quests as they open up). The NPC sells everything needed for up to about level 15 recipes, and with the bonus exp you get for making unique recipes you usually level quickly. If you hated the crafting game then you now know to avoid it. If you enjoyed it, your best bet is to do the same thing for the other 7 classes. Sharing gear, making your own sub-combines, the extra skills... you dont need to be an omnicrafter to succeed in this game, but its very useful and eventually most people end up there(a single class high-end crafter needs more luck and effort to get the same results). Also, if you do take the plunge on crafting its highly recommended that you also level your gathering classes. Getting some(or most or all) of your own ingredients saves SO much money in the long run. Super worth it.
    (1)