Character
    Dagny Fletcher
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Volunteer/Contracted Staffing at Fanfest 2018

Hi Community Team,

I was curious about the plans with staffing at Fanfest 2018 this year--those that will be working ticket pick up, in the merch line, or at the computer stations at events.

I have been to both fanfests and experienced the method of mixed fan retainers/ contracted staffing in 2014 and the pure contracting you went with in 2016. In my opinion, the interaction with retainers in 2014 was a positive in the fanfest experience, while the pure contracted employees in 2016 was a bit of a negative.

In 2014, in the speed run challenge line, I got to talk to volunteers that were passionate about the game and they gave their own tips and tricks based on what they've seen others attempt. During the Odin challenge, our group was given extra time due to one of our team member's computers randomly shutting off. Two volunteers helped solve a team member's computer problems and helped get her controller set up. Their excitement was infectious, their passion for the game obvious. Your best employees at fanfest 2014 were the retainers, by far.

In 2016, I had one of the employees you contracted stamp the entirety of my book without my permission after I had completed her station. I highly doubt this I am the only person she did this with. She didn't deprive me of a full fanfest experience in the slightest, but she bypassed the system with me (and probably multiple others) which I know you don't intend. At the primal Extreme challenge, the woman handling our section seemed annoyed. She let a group that sat down before us, leave after us, and gave us significantly less time to try our challenge. I saw her watch the group that sat down before us (with no technical issues) prepare for another pull while she told the group I was part of leave.

This isn't the entirety of my 2016 experiences. The employee that worked one of the mini-games clearly had some knowledge of the game (or he did his research!) and had a lot of energy. But while in 2014 I couldn't think of a single bad interaction with the staff (the people during ticket pickup--as long as it took--were also really pleasant and fun!), there were a couple of blemishes to my 2016 experience, and I know others had bad experiences too.

I encourage people in this thread to talk about their positive and negative experiences with staffing at fanfest, just so Square Enix can get a bigger picture of the differences in 2014 and 2016, and what they need to consider.

After ticketing, you have a wealth of fans that are unable to attend fanfest but probably have made plans for transportation, rooms at the Rio, meeting up with friends, etc. I think it would be a missed opportunity to not give them the opportunity to attend fanfest for free in exchange of working half a day at fanfest--or helping up with setup and tear down, whatever best fits your needs. Other conventions employ methods like this--the most immediate comparison that comes to mind is SDCC, but that's because I have a friend that has volunteered a few hours a day in exchange for free attendance for over five years now.

I know these volunteers wouldn't be able to completely fill your staffing needs, you need experts for where they're necessary. But managing lines, setting up computers (all of your retainers would be gamers!), ticket pick up, bring the hype, helping organization of the cosplay contest, doing behind the scenes work for the PVP tournament, putting the displays and signs up, tearing everything down, is all 100% within the capability of your fan base.

Unless I'm completely oblivious, it would save you money. It'd make a lot of fans happy. In my mind, that seems like a win-win.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Moxie Moonlight
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I went to both of the previous fan fest events as well and I agree, the retainers in 2014 were far more engaged and seemed to really enjoy themselves, whereas the contractors in 2016 seemed like they were annoyed by us.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Azurelos Firios
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Unfortunately I missed the 2014 Fanfest, however recalling 2016 Fanfest, I didn't have too many bad experiences with the retainers there. However they definitely felt like they didn't want to be there and I heard stories of some of them even harassing some of the event-goers. I really agree with your suggestion about having volunteer players as retainers and we know there's lots of players who missed out on getting tickets but are still flying to Las Vegas to at least meet fellow players.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Wreath Moonpath
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    having gone to both events the 2014 retainers were much nicer, but I was lucky enough I guess to not experience badly the 2016 staff. Though I did notice that they didn't seem as engaged...honestly I'd really like if they called the players for retainership. offering a free one-day pass for service on the other day would make many of the people who missed out so much happier, and you don't even need to pay cash for the service! Only downside to adding players is that they can (and will) abuse the position to allow friends to cut in lines, or get 'you win' stamps even if you didn't. But honestly? ...I'm not entirely butt-hurt by the idea. Because sometimes the line takes longer than the event and if you haven't gotten your win stamp by round three? You should just get the dang thing! lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Franz Renatus
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Having worked at conventions with volunteer staff, I'd probably still rather we have actual trained staff and not volunteers for the bulk of things.

While volunteers are pretty decent for something like a predetermined line management or to stamp a booklet, there are a ton of other situations they would not be able to handle without training and coordination. The same goes for actual staff as well, but they've generally at least got a few events' experience. But imagine getting your Fan Fest goody bag or something only to realize it was missing items because a volunteer took one that "nobody would notice." Or imagine waiting in line for something, only to see other people cutting ahead constantly. Those certainly would harm an event way more than help it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Benjimir Thursby
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    I think if you double the price of the event, which I suspect the market will bare, you could do much with regard to professional staffing and presentation. Just a thought.
    (0)
    Benjimir Thursby
    Founder, The FFXIV Roleplaying Discord
    https://www.FFXIVroleplaying.com/discord

Player
    Character
    Jarle Vagrast
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    I think they had some issues in 2014 with volunteers who used the system to get the pass for the event and then didn't show up for their scheduled work. I ended up working 3 out of the 4 time slots for the actual event when they mentioned they wanted more volunteers. I still had a lot of fun working at the Odin Primal Battle for my original shifts and spending time at the Frontlines for the extra. Also even then they did have somebody event staff from another company.
    (0)