Player
    Character
    Crystah Frost
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70

Auto Target doesnt seem to work right

I've been playing for some time and I have had this issue since day one but i often put in a feedback in game with no real resolution to the issue so I'm posting to see if I'm the only one and or if i am doing something wrong.
    I use auto Target pushing the Tab Key but many times, most the time, when i do it will not target the monster right in front of me. It will target the ones behind, and or something far away. I could be face to face to a monster and it will target anything else but. Sometimes, as in lately, it wont even target at all. I Push over and over and over and it never seems to work right. I have checked my own computer settings and nothing seems wrong. Why Doesn't the auto targeting system work right. Why isn't it targeting the closest monster in front of me as it should?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jasmine Clayworth
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by BluntGamerChick View Post
    I've been playing for some time and I have had this issue since day one but i often put in a feedback in game with no real resolution to the issue so I'm posting to see if I'm the only one and or if i am doing something wrong.
    I use auto Target pushing the Tab Key but many times, most the time, when i do it will not target the monster right in front of me. It will target the ones behind, and or something far away. I could be face to face to a monster and it will target anything else but. Sometimes, as in lately, it wont even target at all. I Push over and over and over and it never seems to work right. I have checked my own computer settings and nothing seems wrong. Why Doesn't the auto targeting system work right. Why isn't it targeting the closest monster in front of me as it should?
    ^This right here. So frustrating when trying to pull a specific mob from a pack and target everything but him.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Use the "Target Nearest Enemy" keybind instead. Set it to something close to home position, like [G]. You'll use it a lot over the course of play.
    (0)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Hashmael Lightswain
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Tab just cycles through the visible mobs left to right, regardless of how far away they are.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Crystah Frost
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    Use the "Target Nearest Enemy" keybind instead. Set it to something close to home position, like [G]. You'll use it a lot over the course of play.
    Ill give it a shot but the trouble is I'm very set in my ways and before i came here i played WOW and i have been using my pinky to tap tab button since i was a beta tester for Blizzard LOL. I find it hard to adjust. Its very frustrating. I still push R to reply to a whisper and keep forgetting that i don't auto dismount when i auto attack while on a mount and I've been playing for almost a year now . I have a hard time with change. Despite my complaining to my husband, who got me playing this game, about the quirks in this game I am enjoying it. I love the ability to learn all job skills where in WOW you can only choose two and I really love the All access node system. In WoW everyone would fight over the same node to farm crafting material. Such a headache. I'm just struggling to adjust what I'm used to into this new format.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Crystah Frost
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasrat View Post
    Tab just cycles through the visible mobs left to right, regardless of how far away they are.
    Well thats silly. Auto target should always target the closest mob within LOS. that would make it a more useful and efficient targeting system.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Y'kayah Tia
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 50
    Well thats silly. Auto target should always target the closest mob within LOS.
    But tab (with it's default meaning, anyway) isn't auto-target; it's for target cycling. You press it repeatedly to cycle through all the mobs on the screen until you reach the one you want. If it always picked the closest, there wouldn't be any way to specify another, and there can be situations where you might not want to attack the closest.

We kind of have an auto target on controller, but it only works if we're starting with nothing targeted. The X button will target the nearest enemy. (Or where no enemies are around, the nearest NPC or object. Where there are none of those either, the nearest player.) One problem, though, is that if you do have anything targeted, that same X button is instead our main action button, so you can get unintended results if you forget to untarget first. Then we have the left and right buttons or the R1 and L1 buttons for cycling between targets the way that tab and shift-tab do on keyboard.

For keyboard, instead of a combined auto target button like that, there are multiple configurable keybinds. You can select a button to mean Target Nearest Enemy and another to mean Target Nearest NPC or Object. (I think those are F11 and F12 by default, but you can set them to something else.)

the trouble is I'm very set in my ways and before i came here i played WOW and i have been using my pinky to tap tab button since i was a beta tester for Blizzard LOL. I find it hard to adjust.
    If your reflexes are telling you that tab should be "Target Nearest Enemy", then you can set it to that in the keybind configuration. But at some point, you're likely to want to target a different one, so when you overwrite the default cycling meaning of the tab button, you should set that to something else rather than lose that use altogether.

We don't, unfortunately, have one that means target the nearest if nothing is currently targeted, but move to the next target if we already have a target. The "Target Nearest Enemy" one will just keep targeting that nearest one no matter how many times you press it, while the cycle through enemies button will take whatever it thinks is next based on it's hidden list (which I think starts off left to right, but becomes unpredictable once you or the mobs move around).
    (1)
    Last edited by Niwashi; 07-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.