Player
    Character
    Yuki Hakuuchi
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51

Issue refunds for the MacOS client.

The "port" of this game to MacOS is nothing short of a scam.

I realize it may have been "playable" at a max of 20 fps on the latest and greatest imacs while HW was relevant. But we are in SB now and and some of the highest and imacs and macbooks cannot keep up with this shoddy port.

If the god awful performance was not enough.. it is known for causing kernel panics and halting the ENTIRE computer and SE has taken 0 steps in trying to solve this. A game should not be causing crashes of this level.

Furthermore, the cost. the cost for something that is a shoddy wine wrapper is just ridiculous.. we have to pay again for what is basically the same thing as the windows client, but gimped? You realize one could take 10 minutes to set up wine-csmt and get double the performance of this client, and it would be free.

This port is nothing short of a big fat ripoff and it is completely unacceptable. If you have no intention to port this to the opengl or metal API then start issueing refunds.

EDIT: FUNNY STORY. I just set this game up on wine myself on sierra, and it runs even faster and without any kernel panics. It took 10 minutes minus patching!
    How ridiculous is this??
    (19)
    Last edited by misterbones; 11-01-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Player
    Character
    Hayley Westenra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Why not install Windows 10 on Boot-Camp? FFXIV was developed with DirectX in mind. MacOS has Metal now, which is Apple's graphics API. If anything, Square-Enix should update the game's API to be compatible with Metal.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kisa Kisa
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 84
    Quote Originally Posted by Naraku_Diabolos View Post
    Why not install Windows 10 on Boot-Camp? FFXIV was developed with DirectX in mind. MacOS has Metal now, which is Apple's graphics API. If anything, Square-Enix should update the game's API to be compatible with Metal.
    It's not a port, it's a Cedega wrapper.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega_(software)

And to that end, it's identical to the PC version.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Hakuuchi
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    I realize this is an option but when the mac port is borderline unusable like this it is not okay to sell it for that platform.
    I would expect that if I paid $60 to have the game available on my apple hardware, that it would at least run okay. The same would be expected for people who bought it for ps3, ps4 etc..

There are wrappers that do something like converting dx11 to vulkan and it's really fast. And then there are wrappers that convert vulkan to metal which, is also pretty fast. There are many many options for them here..

But dude come on. They used free software like wine to make this shoddy port and they SELL it to you at full price for each expansion? When it barely even runs and frequently crashes systems??? Absolutely ridiculous. I use forum search here to see other peoples accounts of poor performance and kernel panics and it's just the same canned response from the support here over and over again.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Hakuuchi
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    That is correct. The files are nearly identical to that of a windows install with very minor modifications for.. I think some form of safari integration, input of special chars and also the opening cutscenes are tampered with for some reason.
    I am actually going to copy these files over to windows to see if they run I am curious.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yuki Hakuuchi
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 51
    Just extracted the ffxiv files to a windows vm and the game ran on the vm. Some port this is.
    (3)
    Last edited by misterbones; 11-01-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sebazy Spiritwalker
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    This port came about at the same time as SE’s highly immoral (and very dubious legally) UK CE pricing saga.

Whomever was calling the financial shots at this stage didn’t care about who they trod on in the process, nor did they particularly care about the quality of the product that they put out either it seems.

I absolutely agree with the OP. FFXI didn’t charge a license fee per platform, neither does WoW. It’s also painful to note that whilst being entirely free, WoW’s Mac client is on a whole different level to the rubbish SE commisioned.

It either needs to be free, or it needs to be a native app running on Metal. Yoshida had the right idea when he first had it pulled and refunded. As is, we’re paying for a cakethat’s never materialised.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Ali Lifesaver
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    The company that did the wrapper for this game left the gaming business so I'm not even sure who did they hire to take over. Either way it being a wrapper and not a native client it's never gonna run well.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Colonel Angus
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    SE offered refunds for a few months. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...641512f05a9e14
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Crystal Rainbow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Glad PC master rase who games on a MAC anyways.
    (4)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast