Player
    Character
    Malina Villefort
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Skivvy View Post
    The pedantry in this thread is real. If you walked up to anyone and asked what race they were, I highly doubt any of them would answer "human".
    When you have threads like these, any behaviors and/or gestures that people actually do IRL normally simply go out the window. Don't worry.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Typhon
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    Please forgive me for reviving this thread, but there are a few things I feel I really need to say.

Firstly, I keep remembering this (which I wanted to respond to at the time, but the discussion was dying down and so I didn't want to restart it - but now it's bothering me since I think it was directed at me).

Quote Originally Posted by Nandina View Post
    But I can't help but find it funny that many of you are saying that no one has a problem with the suggestions that could be added to the character customization, but when people talk about the suggestions, you go on to say why those suggestions can't be implemented because "this is a fantasy game" or "there are no real life equivalents to Africa." Seems to me people are against the idea. I'm going to need for you all to remain consistent. Can you all just say you don't want the black features in the game and just call it a day? It's really not that hard. Stick by what you say and mean it. All this deflection is unnecessary.
    I guess you are referring to my posts with the "there is no equivalent to Africa" quote, but I had no intention of saying African-looking characters shouldn't be in the game. Rather that currently, since there is no African-inspired culture and thus no need to build NPCs on that theme, then the lack of 'African-style options' in the character creator may be attributed to that.

As the discussion has gone on I think my own thoughts have shifted somewhat - as I posted earlier, there's also the concept of anime characters being drawn "without nationality" and that it's the context, rather than their visible features, that indicate what race they're supposed to be. I think it's possible that that is the mindset with which these characters are designed - and if we do encounter African Hyurans in future they are likely to continue to use the Midlander model as-is. It seems to me that it's the same argument as that very-quickly-dismissed point about the Pokémon characters that got posted some way back in the discussion - the characters are stylised (though in this case 'more realistically' and in a way we associate with one race more than others, even if it wasn't meant that way), and not necessarily intended to represent the full variety of real-world facial features.

On "including 'black features' in the character creator", I'm not against them being included, and never intended that to be my argument. What I've been meaning to say is that however much of a good idea it might be to add them, it seems they won't be added in (at least for Midlanders, as you are requesting) unless they redesign the character creator - which they may not be able to do, at least without taking a considerable amount of resources away from other aspects of the game.

There's a difference between (A) what they could have done better at the start, and (B) what can be changed in the creator as it currently exists. As it currently exists, it seems they cannot add to the available options on existing faces, and if they "swap out" a current option for something new, that would affect existing characters that have that appearance. Every NPC that uses it would need to have their settings updated.

Same goes for the skin colour palette - the character data doesn't store the colour itself, but a grid-reference location of the colour on the palette. The options could have been set up better at the beginning, but now they can't be changed without affecting every character that refers to that colour grid.

=====

More generally, I've had this discussion in mind as I've been playing the game. I have an alt character in the pre-Titan "Company of Heroes" quest arc, and went to Forgotten Springs - I had totally forgotten (or not paid attention to) how dark-skinned some of the U tribe are. (It's one of the reasons I'm back here typing this - little pangs of guilt every time U'odh Nunh was on-screen.) And without my preconceived thought of Eorzea being strictly Europe, I can see that maybe it does make more sense as an African-desert-inspired region. Again, I don't know enough of those countries enough to recognise it as any more than "a desert oasis setting" without ever having been truly clear on where those are from in the real world.

Also I came across a little more information on Meracydia - firstly it's looking more likely that it's meant to be Africa, because the description for 'sesame seeds' says that the plant is native to there, and (having consulted Wikipedia) in our world it's native to Africa and India.

The other thing I came across that it's possible (but lore is inconsistent) that the Miqo'te originated from Meracydia. Make of that what you will.

=====

The last thing I wanted to bring up, is that at the end of all this discussion and all the talk about "African features"... it's affected what I'm thinking about when seeing people, and not in a good way. Instead of seeing someone with dark skin and thinking "yes, that's a person, they're African", it's now "what are the shape of their features? Why am I staring at them and thinking about their nose?"

Maybe it's just how my brain works. But it bothers me on a deep level that this discussion you've started with the intent of promoting diversity, has instead set me off thinking about the specific features of a race instead of just seeing people as people.
    (1)
    Last edited by Iscah; 07-27-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Player
    Character
    Desia Demarseille
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    At this point, lets all just agree to disagree about this topic, and let this thread sink into the oblivion. There are plenty of more constructive things to do, like farm...stuff....yeah.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Aurelie Moonsong
    World
    Typhon
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    Yeah, I’m wanting to let it sink. In fact I was wanting to left it sunk, but those things were bothering me enough that I had to respond for my own sake, and leaving it was going to be worse.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Malina Villefort
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Melichoir View Post
    At this point, lets all just agree to disagree about this topic, and let this thread sink into the oblivion. There are plenty of more constructive things to do, like farm...stuff....yeah.
    Tell that to the people in the parser thread too. That one is even longer than this!
    (4)

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60