Character
    Nao Fyrith
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70

Can't use apostrophes, quotation marks and other various special characters

Hi,

I'm unsure whether to post this in here or report it as a bug, but I've been experiencing something rather.. unusual. I use an International layout on my keyboard but my game client does not recognise the use of plain apostrophes, quotation marks, tildes and backticks. My keyboard input works perfectly fine outside of the game and I'm 100% positive that it's not a localisation issue with my keyboard language whatsoever.

I've googled around but haven't found a solution to the problem. Have only found this post from a few years ago where the poster is experiencing the exact problem I'm having; http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...pecial-letters.
    (0)

Hello Protoxic, Thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums

Has this always happened with this particular keyboard? if not, when did it start?
    What exactly are you trying to type and where?
    What kind of keyboard is it? (make and model)

Hope to be of assistance. Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XIV! Hope to see you online.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nao Fyrith
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariellendera View Post
    Hello Protoxic, Thank you for posting on the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums

Has this always happened with this particular keyboard? if not, when did it start?
    What exactly are you trying to type and where?
    What kind of keyboard is it? (make and model)

Hope to be of assistance. Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XIV! Hope to see you online.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I've only had this very keyboard while playing the game, never had any issues with it, until friday last week (20/07/2018) which is where I noticed my keys aren't working.
    It happens with everything I try to write in the chatbox in-game. Words that need an apostrophe (say, "I'm (or I am)) are the ones where it's most apparent.
    I use a Logitech G510s, Model Number is Y-U0010. The keyboard itself is fine everywhere and works without any problems otherwise.
    (0)

Thank you for the reply Protoxic.

Do you recall anything updating on your PC when the issue started (an OS update, for example)?

Do you have any other keyboard you can try? Does the same issue happen with that keyboard?

I did a little research and found a software update for that particular keyboard: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/pr...oard/downloads. It lists Final Fantasy XIV on the page as well. If you haven't updated the software yet, it may be worth a try.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nao Fyrith
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Einmimiria View Post
    Thank you for the reply Protoxic.

Do you recall anything updating on your PC when the issue started (an OS update, for example)?

Do you have any other keyboard you can try? Does the same issue happen with that keyboard?

I did a little research and found a software update for that particular keyboard: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/pr...oard/downloads. It lists Final Fantasy XIV on the page as well. If you haven't updated the software yet, it may be worth a try.

We hope we can be of assistance in helping you enjoy the exciting world of Final Fantasy XIV!
    I don't think I've had any OS updates or other updates of any sorts. I wasn't aware of the fact that there was a software update for my keyboard, so thank you for that. It did however not fix the issue, I'm afraid.
    I tried it out with another keyboard a few times yeah, a very basic model from Trust, but the problem still persists.

A tiny bit of extra information popped up in my head that I had completely forgotten about, I was playing the game perfectly fine for a few hours that day, then randomly disconnected (connection interruption on my side) and when I got back on the game, the issue arose.
    (0)

I would like to suggest deleting all FFXIV files from your "my documents" folder, If this doesn't work try a full reinstall. I am thinking that when you disconnected something got corrupted. Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XIV! Hope to see you online.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nao Fyrith
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariellendera View Post

I would like to suggest deleting all FFXIV files from your "my documents" folder, If this doesn't work try a full reinstall. I am thinking that when you disconnected something got corrupted. Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you for playing Final Fantasy XIV! Hope to see you online.
    Deleting the files from my documents folder didn't seem to do the trick, a full reinstall did work however. Thank you very much for the assistance, issue has been resolved!
    (0)

Thank you for the update Protoxic.

My assumption is that, when you were disconnected, it corrupted some file that interfered with your keyboard.

This thread will be moved to the 'Support Center Resolved' subforum as the thread creator has found a resolution to their issue.

Thank you for visiting the Final Fantasy XIV Technical Support Forums.
    (0)