Player
    Character
    Devon Ellwood
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumVulpes View Post
    The unfortunate thing about art is it's hard to break down into a science. Personally, I prefer a tilted image because I feel like it's more dynamic, but other people prefer perfectly, well, horizontal horizons. I also think lighting is possibly the most important part of a picture (to the point I literally sat in Gpose for over an hour waiting for decent lighting), but some of the winning entries were imo really bland in that regard, so whoever picked those either doesn't find lighting as important or has a different opinion of what good lighting is. You can try to keep to the rule of thirds, or position your composition so it perfectly matches the Fibonacci spiral, but in the end it all comes down to whatever the preference of the particular person picking participants' entries is, and you've just gotta hope yours matches those preferences of whichever specific judge sees yours :/

...That was a lot of Ps.

Pretty much this. I mean, you can break it down to a science of sorts, but that doesn't mean it will be effective on people. This is my first time entering one of the screenshot contests and I just don't understand how some people can make them as good as they look. I guess I have a hard time working with things given to me, like with photography. I kind of ran out of time for mine and had to go with something I could crop easily because I didn't think the screenshot would also have the mouse cursor in it. I just figured gpose would omit it. I just wish I could delete my image from the thread because I really don't like it
    (0)
    Fishsteaks were made

Player
    Character
    T'anuo Leedra
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    Ah yes, the unlisted judge preferences. Always a fun guessing game to play. I'M SORRY CHEF RAMSEY!!!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gunnar Mel'nik
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumVulpes View Post
    I definitely get the sentiments here. Last year my partner and I entered the Songbird contest and lost to, if I may be so bold in my opinion, a couple hetero copycats (seriously, the only other entry in the same place, and at the same time, with the same dyes.. just a week later and with worse lighting. Doesn't feel like a coincidence). But we keep entering stuff, and he's won a couple others since then - including this one, and now he's rubbing the chocobo barding in my face,
    Exactly. I lost the Songbird one last year and it was dumb considering a worse copy of mine won, but I continued to enter contests because I know I'm good at taking screenshots (since it's something I do for fun anyway) and creative writing.

However, the claims that only certain types of screenshots (sparkly filters, bunny suits, etc.) won is pretty inaccurate. A significant portion of winners had none of those, including mine:

It sucks to lose, but try not to a) insult the people who did win by saying they only won with easy win tricks, and b) insult whoever judged them because it's not about whether you think your entry was good, it's up to them to decide, since they made the contest to begin with. From what I recall, they were looking for originality and flare. Being eye-catching can help, but it's not guaranteed. And the same goes for being original, if there's nothing exciting or enjoyable for the eyes.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    T'anuo Leedra
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 50
    My apologies for not following rule number 8. Long day of goobbue poo = temper temper = A salty joke post. Cute shot btw.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lucky Tails
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 83
    The OP joke kind of reminds me of the music contest, where they had participants play "Night in the Brume." The rules were: learn it by ear and play it, and there will be no sheet music. So I did. After I submitted mine, they said, "Here's the sheet music, everyone!"

I was sitting there thinking, what the f#!^#^. I knew my entry wasn't a winner, but it still felt hokey to me when the rules changed all of a sudden.

It made me wary of every contest to come... So be careful. They might change the rules on you!
    (1)
    Three Ilm Knights, One Thousand Malm Road

Player
    Character
    Kaminto Komouri
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90

K.A.M Triplets: Good as Bronze...

This is my third attempt at entering these contests, and I'll admit i didn't really try hard for this one but i think by not having a clear indication as to who the main character in the pic was that i may have been glanced over heh still, i go into all these contests with no eyes on the prize, i just do what i like to do best, /gpose!!~ ^^

(2)

Player
    Character
    Gunnar Mel'nik
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminto View Post
    i go into all these contests with no eyes on the prize, i just do what i like to do best, /gpose!!~ ^^
    I do as well. I really enjoy taking screenshots (especially with /gpose or any other photo mode in games), so any contest that involves using it is always worth trying, even if I don't win.

I had better ideas for my entry involving the minion's idle animation, but sadly it doesn't play it in /gpose, so I had to try something else. I took the little fella to Castrum Centri because I felt it would be a good thematic backdrop, but then I was worried my entry wasn't exciting enough given the theme (and especially since lots of other entries were in the Gold Saucer itself). But I guess since only one other person used that item for theirs, maybe it stood out.

I'm a photographer irl (or at least trying to be), and I've been used to being passed over for more eye-catching shots, but I kept trying and now one of my photos is going to be on a label for a soda brand for a little while. So it's important to keep trying if you really want to, y'know.
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2